Oldham's Best Ever Player

The PFA have released a list of every club's best ever player. This is based on (stolen from BBC site)...

The results are based, firstly, on ‘A’ international appearances - and each appearance is awarded points that are weighted by the following criteria:

* Team played for – For example, appearances for more successful countries (Brazil and Argentina for example) count for more than less successful countries. Being in winning teams and progressing further in international competition also weighs heavier.

* More points from competitive matches over friendlies.

* Captaining your country earns more points.

* Appearances as substitute do not count as much as starts.

* Players who score goals, or keepers and defenders that keep clean sheets are awarded extra points.

Secondly, players pick up points when their team – at domestic or international level – achieves honours.

Thirdly, individual honours – such as FIFA World Player of the Year and English Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year – are also counted

Our best player, from this scientific approach, was Bert Lister.

I'm far too young to have ever seen Lister play, so I can't comment. But surely noone's better than Richie Wellens. :wink:

Interestingly, Neil Redfearn is Barnsley's best ever player. Rotherham's is RM. Stockport's is Luke.

So come on, who would you say was our best ever player?

that's a hard one ,we have had so many great players the likes of david shaw ,ian wood ,vic halom alan groves colin garwood john platt ,any ritchie ,roger palmer neil redfern ,earl barrett ,simon stainrod ,steve taylor shez, ,and many more for me it would be roger palmer

that's a hard one ,we have had so many great players the likes of david shaw ,ian wood ,vic halom alan groves colin garwood john platt ,any ritchie ,roger palmer neil redfern ,earl barrett ,simon stainrod ,steve taylor shez, ,and many more for me it would be roger palmer

I'ts very difficult to name the best 'ever' player, but you've listed most of the contenders....In my era..on appearances it would have to be Ian Wood, goal scoring it would have to be Palmer or Ritchie, on pure skill and entertainment it would have to be Stainrod.

For someone to have the title of best ever player he would really need to have played a minimum of 2/300 games.

Paul Warhurst in the pinch me seasons under Big Joe was simply awesome, he only played for a season or so but I've never seen a more natural player in a blue shirt, he just seemed to glide across the pitch.

Alan Groves is another, probably the most entertaing winger we've ever had, and when on song was a defenders worst nightmare!

Without Neil Redfearn's influence we'd never have been promoted to the first division...I don't think I ever saw him miss a penalty!

However I'd have to plump for Ritchie over Palmer (just), because of his goal scoring in the season we were promoted to the First / Premiership and because it was also the most succesful period in our history.

It's all about how many years you've been going and what you like in a player. Goalscorers, entertainers, grafters etc.

For my time I'd say Ritchie. I remember as a kid with my other Latics supporting mate doing dipping volleys and diving headers recreating Ritchie's goals with "that was how it went in!", "no it was like this!".

Based on my own time watching Latics I wouldn't hesitate to choose Ritchie. My grandad, however, who obviously watched Latics an awful lot longer than I have, barely missing a game, would I'm sure have picked Bobby Johnstone - he was 'absolutely bloody marvellous' apparently even though he was past his best when he came to Latics.

Based on my own time watching Latics I wouldn't hesitate to choose Ritchie. My grandad, however, who obviously watched Latics an awful lot longer than I have, barely missing a game, would I'm sure have picked Bobby Johnstone - he was 'absolutely bloody marvellous' apparently even though he was past his best when he came to Latics.

My dad says the same.... the amount of times I have heard him get all melancholy, go even more gruff and scottish than he already is, and growl "well son, you should seen Bobby Johnstone Play for latics..."

Stitch is my obvious first choice.... but for sheer flamboyance, and utter entertaining brilliance, my heart is also pulled towards Ricky Holden... but to be honest, my heart could say any of that team because there are so many amazing memories.....

..... on second thoughts...How about Rob Scott?

In my time, I'd have to go for Stitch but to be honest, I think the most skillful player I ever saw in a Latics shirt was probably Billy Kenny... what a waste!

Ooooh Roger Palmer !!!

Roger Palmer - Marry-ju-arna

Tra-la-la-la-la

Our all time goal scoring record holder - FROM MIDFIELD :afro:

Guest oa_exile
Stitch is my obvious first choice.... but for sheer flamboyance, and utter entertaining brilliance, my heart is also pulled towards Ricky Holden... but to be honest, my heart could say any of that team because there are so many amazing memories.....

Again for me so many memories , as i am typing this so many are running around my head BUT on BLF's post i would go with Stitch also but my heart pulls for Alan Groves.He was class mate better than tricky Ricky.

Oh... Alan , Alan ...............Alan , Alan , Alan , Alan ............... GROVES !!!!!!

Alan Groves R.I.P.

Latics Legend

Oh... Alan , Alan ...............Alan , Alan , Alan , Alan ............... GROVES !!!!!!

Alan Groves R.I.P.

Latics Legend

Mentioned this to topic to my Dad and he agrees. Groves was the best. My Dad remembers him asking those in the paddocks which foot he should beat the full back on next! B)

Too cool and taken way too soon as well.

Groves for me, his legend lives on. Ritchie was a class act for us, so to Palmer. Stainrod was head and shoulders above the pack whilst in a Latics shirt. Whilst I had fond memories of the small ginger haired Graham Bell. As for Lister and Johnstone... way before my time I canna comment. Gotta mention Choccy he to was a good un who excited.

Groves, yes i can see where you are comin from, skilled hard worker, but add ritchies goals to that and there isnt a comparison, a man who took us to wembley and the dizzy heights of the football league.

and wheres the word canna come form, you go to clyde once and come back a jock....me thinks you is crazy Leroy!

Diego Maradona is a fat junkie ,and i am sure he used drugs when playing football, pele is my number 1 player of all time

Ah, yes, but a fat junkie who single handedly turned a Southern team* in the hardest league from terminal also rans into champions. Also dragging possibly the worst team to make a World Cup final there practically on his own.

If recreational drugs make you play football like that I'm surprised the OWTB fans team doesn't get coked up to the eyeballs before games. :D

The argument of Maradona v Pele is a decent one, Maradone successful in club and Country; Pele the best in internationals, but practically no club career. However the Luis Figo/Romario/Zidane/Ronaldo v Maradona isn't.

Ali Daei 26th, George Best not in the top 100? I mean good god, these people can't even have watched football and have just randomly generated indicators to form a formula that is just rubbish.

*One that could afford less and had continual corruption against them. Basically they couldn't fix the league against them.

I've not seen the list, surely Gunnar will be high on their criteria.

My own favourite was Alan Groves, but that goes back to being a kid and idolising.

My head says Andy Ritchie, even non Oldham fans used to chat to me about him.

Edited by singe