hypothetical question

its a long season mate.... We have drawn alot of games which we should of won. We are a player or two off a decent side. Some faces will leave in Jan and some will arrive. Have some bloody patient and give shez time to get it right.... We went on a 10 game unbeaten run...that should give u some hope...but instead your moaning!

Of course I'm moaning. After all this time in the doldrums and a couple of false dawns, I want and expect more. Season after season, there's always some excuse for continuing failure.

A new face or two will arrive and few will depart? Why doesn't this excite me? Could it be because at this level, players are all much of a muchness? Some are moulded into succesful sides, others aren't. It's precisely because the ten match run gave me some hope that something could be salvaged from the season that I'm disappointed by another wasted five points at home.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Well, you said there was no plan, and yet in almost every game we've had the bulk of the possession and the majority of the attempts at goal.

2. You can't count. We're 8 points off the play offs, 8 points from the bottom 4 and we've a game in hand on 9 of the clubs above us. This league doesn't have 30 clubs in it.

3. Your "ps" is really witty and pithy. Did you know that teams that don't shoot never win games?

The bulk of the possession and the majority of attempts on goal count for nothing at all when you don't win the game.

Teams that shoot only win games when the shots go in.

I take it you're a glass half-full man?

Of course I'm moaning. After all this time in the doldrums and a couple of false dawns, I want and expect more. Season after season, there's always some excuse for continuing failure.

A new face or two will arrive and few will depart? Why doesn't this excite me? Could it be because at this level, players are all much of a muchness? Some are moulded into succesful sides, others aren't. It's precisely because the ten match run gave me some hope that something could be salvaged from the season that I'm disappointed by another wasted five points at home.

Mate your a bloody joke! You acting like we have a god given right to go up! There are another 23 teams in are league who all want to go up but only three will make it. We have come close a number of times...and im still not convinced we wont be up there fighting to go up this year.... We have a number of decent players, a learning manager and the oppotunity to sort are problems out in January...now get off your high horse and support the lads....

What is YOUR masterplan for fixing all this ? Sack the manager ? Sack the board ? Sack the team? Im sure you know best so lets hear it....

Mate your a bloody joke! You acting like we have a god given right to go up! There are another 23 teams in are league who all want to go up but only three will make it. We have come close a number of times...and im still not convinced we wont be up there fighting to go up this year.... We have a number of decent players, a learning manager and the oppotunity to sort are problems out in January...now get off your high horse and support the lads....

What is YOUR masterplan for fixing all this ? Sack the manager ? Sack the board ? Sack the team? Im sure you know best so lets hear it....

Since when has desiring success been acting like you've a God-given right to anything? Before Internet message boards I'd never encountered the fan who didn't want the kind of success it's reasonable to expect of your type of club and didn't moan at failure to achieve it.

Moaning on here (or at the match for that matter) doesn't mean that you don't support the team.

What gives you the idea that I think I've any kind of masterplan? Isn't that what those employed at great expense by the club are supposed to come up with? We just pay money to watch them continually fail to do so.

Since when has desiring success been acting like you've a God-given right to anything? Before Internet message boards I'd never encountered the fan who didn't want the kind of success it's reasonable to expect of your type of club and didn't moan at failure to achieve it.

Moaning on here (or at the match for that matter) doesn't mean that you don't support the team.

What gives you the idea that I think I've any kind of masterplan? Isn't that what those employed at great expense by the club are supposed to come up with? We just pay money to watch them continually fail to do so.

:sleeping::blahblah:

IMHO, anyone who thinks the 'budget' allocated this season was the sort that should go along with expectations of promotion is living in a dream world.

For me, Shez continues to do a good job.

I have a question for you Stevie... What exactly is Shez's plan B.... when plan a doesn't work.

I like Shez, I don't think he should be fired at all.

But I really do question his tactical abilities....he doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb in the pack.

I think the team's performance last season was down to getting a team which reall functioned well (until the final third of the season that is) rather than great managerial ability and good tactical awareness. When tnings went bad at the end, Shez had no remedy for it, the team ran out of steam and confidence. If we had a manager like Gary Johnson last season I think we'd have won the league.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

I like Shez, I don't think he should be fired at all.

But I really do question his tactical abilities....he doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb in the pack.

I think the team's performance last season was down to getting a team which reall functioned well (until the final third of the season that is) rather than great managerial ability and good tactical awareness. When tnings went bad at the end, Shez had no remedy for it, the team ran out of steam and confidence. If we had a manager like Gary Johnson last season I think we'd have won the league.

you may find that if our team had actually acted like a team and cut out all the bickering and behind the scenes billy big balls attitudes that we may have gone up.

Goodnight to you-and sorry for not being as happy as you about perpetual failure.

you moan about paying to watch a 'mediocre' team and 'perpetual failing' the answers dead simple for you then! stop going!!!! Perhaps a good reason for us having the 2nd best away record in the division, yet one of the worst at home, is moaning, negative herberts like yourself criticising a guy who is trying to play the game the right way!!!! good night to you to!!

Edited by futchers briefs

you moan about paying to watch a 'mediocre' team and 'perpetual failing' the answers dead simple for you then! stop going!!!! Perhaps a good reason for us having the 2nd best away record in the division, yet one of the worst at home, is moaning, negative herberts like yourself criticising a guy who is trying to play the game the right way!!!! good night to you to!!

As already said, the football club where the fans did not complain about mediocrity and under achievement never existed anywhere in the world.

Those who moan on message boards and at games doubtless get behind the team every bit as much as the happy clappers who will put up with any old tripe.

And you'll notice that I haven't criticised Sheridan once, altough 'playing the game the right way' is only any use if it produces results.

As already said, the football club where the fans did not complain about mediocrity and under achievement never existed anywhere in the world.

Those who moan on message boards and at games doubtless get behind the team every bit as much as the happy clappers who will put up with any old tripe.

And you'll notice that I haven't criticised Sheridan once, altough 'playing the game the right way' is only any use if it produces results.

i'll back and have backed latics all the way.and i shall also back sheridan as well,but it doesnt mean i have to be happy with our performances and our playing staff....im not one of those that will stand there screaming at the players on the field,i always encourage and applaud,no matter how dire,you can always find a positive in every game...admittedly sometimes its the pies but hey....

you say playing the game the right way...this is were the confusion sets in for me,because when we do play the right way we more than often win games and outplay teams,however even whilst on the fantastic unbeaten run,we always resort to hoofing it and percentage balls.why???

i'll back and have backed latics all the way.and i shall also back sheridan as well,but it doesnt mean i have to be happy with our performances and our playing staff....im not one of those that will stand there screaming at the players on the field,i always encourage and applaud,no matter how dire,you can always find a positive in every game...admittedly sometimes its the pies but hey....

you say playing the game the right way...this is were the confusion sets in for me,because when we do play the right way we more than often win games and outplay teams,however even whilst on the fantastic unbeaten run,we always resort to hoofing it and percentage balls.why???

Its something at the heart of the british game!! When under preasure just hooof it.... Its not just us, its pritty much the whole of the football league!

If we had a manager like Gary Johnson last season I think we'd have won the league.

Interesting one - If the majority of Bristol City fans had had their way he'd has been fired before Christmas - or the year before in fact. It was his apparent lack of a coherent plan that really did it for them, strange selections and so on...

Same as the Lashers, Larry could have been out last year.

One defeat in 12 is pretty good, the key game now is the next one, shame it is against the best side in the league. A point would be a good result, 3 would be amazing.

Sadly we are then going to be spanked by the scouse two hats which will knock our confidence in to the middle of February. Hopefully our season will kick start then and we get a decent top half finish to build on next season.

Shock horror, fan takes long term view!!!!!

Edited by beag_teeets

I have a question for you Stevie... What exactly is Shez's plan B.... when plan a doesn't work.

I'm not by any means saying that Shez's managment is flawless, Terry; the 'Plan B' thing is something often pointed at now as a weakness of his.

Part of me wonders whether he has such a strong belief in the style he wants his team to play that he sticks with it, rightly or wrongly, through thick and thin. Perhaps he sees it as the players at fault, rather than the tactics, when things don't go to plan - I'm not saying that's the right approach, just speculating as to whether that's why he's seen to be caught short if 'Plan A' doesn't come off.

I also think that he doesn't have an awful lot to play, in terms of introducing different types of players - he can't throw on a big man up front if the ball's not sticking up there, for instance. Whether people wish to admit or not, he's working on a budget - not a tiny one, but then not a huge one either.

I still believe Shez is learning his trade and is doing it well. Given time, good things will happen at Latics under Sheridan's stewardship.

I'm all for this kind of debate - this is what OWTB is for.

However, I can't help thinking that the fact we are having this debate now is symptomatic of the whole impatient, results now, immediate environment that football lives in today. A new manager must have a positive impact and be successful within 10 games or he's under pressure. Promotion must be this season, or at most, next. And when results don't meet these ever higher, ever more urgent expectations the response is always the same - sack the manager.

Let's look at the state of the club in a wider context for a moment...

The Owners - We have owners who are, above all else, fans of football. Rich, successful businessmen who always wanted to run a football club their way. Over the past few months probably more than at any other time we have seen just how dedicated they are to making Oldham Athletic successful, on and off the pitch. Amongst lower league clubs it's impossible to overstate how lucky we are not to be constantly looking over our shoulders in dread for the next big bill.

The Manager - A long term servant of the club, someone who lives and breathes Oldham Athletic, a legend amongst the fans and one of the very best, most cultured midfielders of his day with a vast knowledge of the game at all levels. A dedicated professional, who calls things exactly as they are, who is eager to learn and not scared to make mistakes, and who is now just making his way in the early stages of what could be an equally glittering managerial career.

The Club - Plans in place to transform the ground, to generate new income to financially safeguard the future of the club for generations to come, a vision to grow into something the whole town can be truly proud of.

Looking at this big picture I can't believe how lucky we are right now. And it all stems from stability. Financial stability from new income and farsighted owners, leadership stability from people in key positions who love the club...

To complete the picture, all we need (all!) is to reflect that stability on the pitch. It is no coincidence that the vast majority of clubs that have enmjoyed success recently are those who have bucked the modern trend to hire and fire on a whim, have maintained a stable set up amongst their football staff, and have often given that set up the luxury of a few years to mature before success arrives.

TTA appointed Sheridan because they believed he is the man for the future. Someone to manage the club long term, someone who will learn in the job and take us forward as he does so. They have shown faith in him so far, and need to continue doing so. Even if we don't go up this season. Even if we don't go up next season. TTA need to keep faith in Sheridan for as long as he still has the ideas, the belief and the dedication to keep building, to keep getting the best he can from the budget he's given. It's not even about building year on year - it's about seeing improvement over a 5 year period.

If we panic and sack Sheridan this summer we're back to year one. There is no guarantee that a 'proven' manager will do any better. If we keep faith in the current set up we will see the benefit of stability. We may not go up for another year or two but when we do we'll be in a good position to try and stay up, and then to consolidate. If we'd gone up last year I think we'd have been odds on to come straight back down.

I'm all for this kind of debate - this is what OWTB is for.

However, I can't help thinking that the fact we are having this debate now is symptomatic of the whole impatient, results now, immediate environment that football lives in today. A new manager must have a positive impact and be successful within 10 games or he's under pressure. Promotion must be this season, or at most, next. And when results don't meet these ever higher, ever more urgent expectations the response is always the same - sack the manager.

Let's look at the state of the club in a wider context for a moment...

The Owners - We have owners who are, above all else, fans of football. Rich, successful businessmen who always wanted to run a football club their way. Over the past few months probably more than at any other time we have seen just how dedicated they are to making Oldham Athletic successful, on and off the pitch. Amongst lower league clubs it's impossible to overstate how lucky we are not to be constantly looking over our shoulders in dread for the next big bill.

The Manager - A long term servant of the club, someone who lives and breathes Oldham Athletic, a legend amongst the fans and one of the very best, most cultured midfielders of his day with a vast knowledge of the game at all levels. A dedicated professional, who calls things exactly as they are, who is eager to learn and not scared to make mistakes, and who is now just making his way in the early stages of what could be an equally glittering managerial career.

The Club - Plans in place to transform the ground, to generate new income to financially safeguard the future of the club for generations to come, a vision to grow into something the whole town can be truly proud of.

Looking at this big picture I can't believe how lucky we are right now. And it all stems from stability. Financial stability from new income and farsighted owners, leadership stability from people in key positions who love the club...

To complete the picture, all we need (all!) is to reflect that stability on the pitch. It is no coincidence that the vast majority of clubs that have enmjoyed success recently are those who have bucked the modern trend to hire and fire on a whim, have maintained a stable set up amongst their football staff, and have often given that set up the luxury of a few years to mature before success arrives.

TTA appointed Sheridan because they believed he is the man for the future. Someone to manage the club long term, someone who will learn in the job and take us forward as he does so. They have shown faith in him so far, and need to continue doing so. Even if we don't go up this season. Even if we don't go up next season. TTA need to keep faith in Sheridan for as long as he still has the ideas, the belief and the dedication to keep building, to keep getting the best he can from the budget he's given. It's not even about building year on year - it's about seeing improvement over a 5 year period.

If we panic and sack Sheridan this summer we're back to year one. There is no guarantee that a 'proven' manager will do any better. If we keep faith in the current set up we will see the benefit of stability. We may not go up for another year or two but when we do we'll be in a good position to try and stay up, and then to consolidate. If we'd gone up last year I think we'd have been odds on to come straight back down.

Agree with every word of that post but Im sure that the short sighted amongst our fans won't see it that way.

Look at Charlton when Curbs took over and then look at us at the moment not much difference.

This thread is absolute nonsense! If we continue to change the players and the manager at the first hint of troubled times we will never build, never progress and for sure we will never get out of this league. Saturday was a terrible performance but I for one will give shez the rest of this season and season after before I even begin to call for his head.