Adam Lockwood signed

I see this as a sign that Byrne is to leave and we're signings a similarly experienced player significantly on a lower wage. We won't see him play often I'd guess.

LJ needs to be careful bringing in friends because, however logical the signings are, it creates an unwanted perception of nepotism. It's something disgruntled fans will use against him...

Edited by slystallone

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, some of them already are doing - read this thread.

I don't see the link between team-mate he once played with, and an outright mate. Unless you have access to LJ's inner circle of friends; how do people know he's a mate?

I work with plenty of people; not many i class as mates. But i still get on with them.

Surely its the same thing in football dressing rooms? Just becuase they played together doesn't automatically make them friends.

People have been calling for more experience.

More experience has been signed, and its not the right kind of experience and he's only been signed because he's LJ's mate.

Can't win.

Well said, its only till the end of the season, if we stay up no harm done surely?

LJ needs to be careful bringing in friends because, however logical the signings are, it creates an unwanted perception of nepotism.

Johnson's main point he kept making when he was appointed was how he had this super scouting network available to him. So what he meant was, players that play for his dad, played with LDJ, or who his dad once scouted?

Like Clarke-Harris, Schmeltz, Philliskirk, Joksts, Kusunga, MacDonald, Oxley, Rachubka, Lanzoni, Mills, Rodgers, Rooney and Petrasso all did?

My worry is that he has been released by relegated Bury and only Guiseley wanted him.

Not exactly the back up you want with with a potential relegation battle on the way. We've already got Byrne who can be solid enough.

There could be a number of reasons why Bury released him with the state they where in with players, finance and management. He played at Guisley because he couldn't play at a higher level as was outside the transfer window for league clubs and therefore has kept fitness by playing where ever he could until Transfer window.

I do see what you are saying in some ways but my argument is see what he is like before slating him.

Am I the only one who read the interview with LJ in the MEN here:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-boss-lee-johnson-looks-6457576

Specifically:

"LJ: Look at Preston. What they've got is solid, organised, verbal players that do a job and then they've got a couple that can do a bit of magic. That costs. That's what it is. They dig out 1-0 wins. I always talk about my mate Jamie McCombe at Doncaster. He's horrible, but he wins every header, he organises and you know about it if you're out of position by a yard but when you look at him you think he's a giraffe and he's not quick. Sometimes you need someone like that. I think we could do with one or two of them to add to what we've got and help the young lads we have flourish."

The recent signings are in this mould, old, hardened pros who will hopefully come in and add a bit of bite and steel to a young squad.

Some will work out, some won't, it is only bloody football, not as if he is bringing in someone to tackle tax evasion or do open heart surgery on your mother.

Experienced League One plodders.

I said we needed a few of these pre season.

Well, some of them already are doing - read this thread.

I don't see the link between team-mate he once played with, and an outright mate. Unless you have access to LJ's inner circle of friends; how do people know he's a mate?

I work with plenty of people; not many i class as mates. But i still get on with them.

Surely its the same thing in football dressing rooms? Just becuase they played together doesn't automatically make them friends.

People have been calling for more experience.

More experience has been signed, and its not the right kind of experience and he's only been signed because he's LJ's mate.

Can't win.

The friends discussion is complete nonsense. Whether or not they're mates matters not a jot.

The big question mark for me is the quality of the player. Experience is required but isn't worth anything if the player isn't good enough.

Released by bury = they couldn't afford him

So clutching at straws, we're delighted that he was only in non-league because 4th division lower end of the table Bury released him because they were skint, so if we signed him straight from fourth division Bury it would be seen as a good capture?

I'm confused.

There could be a number of reasons why Bury released him with the state they where in with players, finance and management. He played at Guisley because he couldn't play at a higher level as was outside the transfer window for league clubs and therefore has kept fitness by playing where ever he could until Transfer window.

I do see what you are saying in some ways but my argument is see what he is like before slating him.

He was, apparently, one of their highest earners. But he couldn't get in their team when they released him.

Just to clarify, I am still one of LJ's biggest fans : But I wonder if he's signing his mates because he's losing the dressing room with rash statements at half times and full times...

Wild conjecture and pure speculation really doesn't help.

Especially as a vocal few are mow growing to more than a few.

Losing the dressing room?

Signing his mates?

Subbing the wrong players, not subbig the right ones?

Yep - i'm convinced.He's lost it. He needs to go.

#LJout

So clutching at straws, we're delighted that he was only in non-league because 4th division lower end of the table Bury released him because they were skint, so if we signed him straight from fourth division Bury it would be seen as a good capture?

I'm confused.

I've no idea if he's any good or not. I'm simply speculating.

Please don't be a dick about it.