Adam Lockwood signed

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideal belated replacement for M'Voto then.

That's a good point, actually.

M'voto was a very limited footballer and, like Lockwood, he looked to have a mistake in him when he tries to get the ball out of his feet. However, I'd actually say Lockwood has the edge when it comes to playing the ball out of defense. Yes he aimlessly lumps it, as do most plodding centre halves, but from what I've seen, they aren't the usual lost cause goofs and there's occasionally some sense behind them.

Take Tranmere for example - it may have looked like an aimless hoof, but that clearance/through ball, IMO, was intended for a running forwards path and it led to a goal. Mvoto didn't have that in his locker, again IMO.

What Mvoto did have was pace, but only once he started moving. His actual accelaration from a standstill was dire.

I'll be honest and say I thought Lockwood would turn out to be a desperate :censored:e signing. Instead he's turned out to be a desperately shrewd one.

Edited by sjk2008

That's a good point, actually.

M'voto was a very limited footballer and, like Lockwood, he looked to have a mistake in him when he tries to get the ball out of his feet. However, I'd actually say Lockwood has the edge when it comes to playing the ball out of defense. Yes he aimlessly lumps it, as do most plodding centre halves, but from what I've seen, they aren't the usual lost cause goofs and there's occasionally some sense behind them.

Take Tranmere for example - it may have looked like an aimless hoof, but that clearance/through ball, IMO, was intended for a running forwards path and it led to a goal. Mvoto didn't have that in his locker, again IMO.

What Mvoto did have was pace, but only once he started moving. His actual accelaration from a standstill was dire.

I'll be honest and say I thought Lockwood would turn out to be a desperate :censored:e signing. Instead he's turned out to be a desperately shrewd one.

Let's have a 'Who's better...?' poll.

The question is whether we can get better, the answer is most likely no, sign him up.

Lockwood might be a good addition to the coaching staff, Clarke-Harris in todays Chron speaks highly of his influence.

He's very limited. In fact, he's a :censored: footballer.

But, he he a :censored: footballer, a walking free-kick and a talentless hoofer who just happens to have a heart of a lion, is strong as an ox and fearless in everything he does on the pitch.

No he is not a :censored: footballer. Last time I checked, heading, tackling, tracking your runners, organising, keeping your shape and leadership were all qualities, not negatives.

He isn't going to beat 3 men or pass it 45 yards, but that doesn't make him ":censored:".

He's a cart horse and the fact he is doing ok for us is a testament to how far we have fallen over the years...

It isn't all about looking good and pace. In our division doing the basics right,organisation and leadership go a long way. Will be worth a contract for next year.

He's a cart horse and the fact he is doing ok for us is a testament to how far we have fallen over the years...

That's far too harsh, he's done a great job when most needed, Tarkowski was in a side which has fallen over the years - is that a testament to him?

Edited by BP1960

I agree with the sentiments echoed by Lee Sinnot.

Whilst paying tribute to the excellent job he has done of late - he is a very limited footballer.

Against the better sides in the division, with the pace and movement to pull him into the channels, he has struggled - and always will struggle. When teams play in straight lines, directly, and give him somebody to mark, he is more effective.

His distribution will always place a caveat on how far we can go at this level - and I would be mightily worried were he first choice next season. We will fail to trouble the stronger sides in the division unless we can utilise the ball playing strengths in the midfield (Smith and Harkins in particular) which we won't with him in the team.

Wilson on the other hand has improved, and I suspect will continue to do so with regular first team football.

None of which diminishes Lockwoods impact of late however.....

Against the better sides in the division, with the pace and movement to pull him into the channels, he has struggled - and always will struggle. When teams play in straight lines, directly, and give him somebody to mark, he is more effective.

Didn't seem to struggle against Brentford and Leyton Orient.

I agree with the sentiments echoed by Lee Sinnot.

Whilst paying tribute to the excellent job he has done of late - he is a very limited footballer.

His distribution will always place a caveat on how far we can go at this level - and I would be mightily worried were he first choice next season. We will fail to trouble the stronger sides in the division unless we can utilise the ball playing strengths in the midfield (Smith and Harkins in particular) which we won't with him in the team.

Wilson on the other hand has improved, and I suspect will continue to do so with regular first team football.

None of which diminishes Lockwoods impact of late however.....

Could it be that Wilson has improved as a result of playing alongside Lockwood? I think in a previous interview Wilson said that he was on at him all game. As some on here have said, at this level a bit of organisation can make all the difference, yet again on Saturday Lockwood showed this quality as well as winning 99% of the headers against his man.

We actually look a better attacking side thanks to the defense being solid, it frees up the midfield a little more to get forward.

No he is not a :censored: footballer. Last time I checked, heading, tackling, tracking your runners, organising, keeping your shape and leadership were all qualities, not negatives.

He isn't going to beat 3 men or pass it 45 yards, but that doesn't make him ":censored:".

Agree 100%, his distribution is not even that bad imo. Really like him, proper leader.

Sometimes it takes one or two of them to make a good team

This is it for me really. He's a limited and very slow footballer who will probably secure us more points as part of an organised defence than he will lose in the odd game when his short-comings are highlighted by clever, quick forwards. Probably the type that gets booed and viewed as disposable when teams are pushing for the play-offs but is actually an asset in this division.

To be honest, give me a no-nonsense centre half any day. If you want to play lovely passes and beat players with a sexy turn, be a :censored:ing winger or a midfielder.

I agree, most strikers don't relish a physical battle and as we have seen in recent matches some of the leading scorers in this division have made little impact.

Edited by BP1960

I think him and Wilson have a decent partnership.

Add Chubs, Brown and Grounds then we have a consistent back four that could be the basis for the team next season. Unsure on wages but Kusunga can slot in and a bit of tinkering then we can build from the back.

Who is contracted beyond the summer by the way through the squad?