Me? I favour anything that promotes a high pressing / high tempo game plan; with supporting runners joining the attacks, whilst keeping 4 at the back (im not a fan of 3 CBs, 2 wing backs)

Totally agree with this. Teams who play this way, do well. Teams that don't (England), don't.

I'm really surprised that we don't to be honest, hasn't LJ even talked about wanting us to play like this?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We, as fans, all have our preffered formations and tactics. So too does LJ. And right now, the general thoughts on here appears to be that the 2 differ?

LJ appears to be going with the 4-5-1 formation. It can be tarted up as 4-1-3-1-1 ifthat floats your boat, but its not; its a 4-5-1.

The arguement right now seems to be we have the players that suit that formation, and only that one. Its the one that was played in the majority of the 10 game season finishing run; and its the only one to be played in pre-season so far.

Me? I favour anything that promotes a high pressing / high tempo game plan; with supporting runners joining the attacks, whilst keeping 4 at the back (im not a fan of 3 CBs, 2 wing backs)

I liked Pochettino's Southampton tactics and formation - which didnt really move from the 4-2-3-1 set-up.

I also liked the way both Chile and Algeria set up at the World Cup, again, they flitted between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 depeding on the state of the game.

IMO, we have the players here to set up & start the season in a 4-2-3-1; with hopefully some better quality players signed up before the window shuts to drop into the side when they (hopefully) arrive.

Chubs

B Wilson Llera (Kusunga). J Wilson. Mills

Kelly. Dieng

Winchester. Philliskirk. Jones

JCH

Room to drop Jones back in place of Dieng if / when we sign an attacking midfielder / winger....and room for JCH to drop out if /when a proven striker is signed.

The likes of Lockwood, Brown, Mellor, Morgan-Smith, Gros, Turner, Bove et all provide the rest of the matchday squad and give options from the bench or for as / when injuries strike. Plus them space in the squad for any new arrivals who may arrive.

That's what i'd play. That's what i'd look to bring in; with a high pressing game; and a high backline. Take the games to the opposition, especially at home, and start to stamp our mark right from the kickoff with a positive attacking mindset.

Away from home, the 4-2-3-1 easily becomes LJ's favoured straight 4-5-1 formation by dropping back the advanced "3". We can then still play a high pressing game; but look to take some of last seasons 10-game run mentallity into that, and away from home; play a more counter-attacking game.

I would hope pre-season would be used to trial various systems of play. It hasnt so far, in games anyway.

I still can't see what B Wilson or Mills have done to justify a place ahead of Brown, who IMO has been exceptional in pre season games.

One player who needs to pull his finger out is JCH, who has appeared lethargic to me.

Edited by BP1960

I still can't see what B Wilson or Mills have done to justify a place ahead of Brown, who IMO has been exceptional in pre season games.

One player who needs to pull his finger out is JCH, who has appeared lethargic to me.

agree with you about brown, and can see where you're coming from with JCH... because he's ran about a LOT less then he was doing last season, i think there's reason behind it though! i reckon LJ has asked him to use his effort efficiently instead of wasting it, although it's not been very effective yet

Me? I favour anything that promotes a high pressing / high tempo game plan.

I would hope pre-season would be used to trial various systems of play. It hasnt so far, in games anyway.

I'm in favour of whatever syatem gets us the most points. People can like it or not, but the way we ended 2013/14 got us points. More points than at any other time. So I fully understand why LJ wants to stick with it, however..

Your last point re: trying other formations in pre season is in my opinion spot on.

Personally I think we lack pace with the ball. Someone to take a player on (and someone to put it in the net) Whether the pace comes from out wide or through thr middle, I want to see someone brought in who is rapid. Someone to stretch the opposition.

But we are not paid as our job to understand it. If I was practising midweek and learning formations/ tactics I'm sure I would pick it up pretty quickly. These are human beings we're talking about not chimps. Learn your role in the team and fulfill it otherwise your not needed here would be my message

Have you ever tried coaching a sports team? Just look at England's cricketers pulling and hooking when we only needed 100 off 30 overs! Brainless

Have you ever tried coaching a sports team? Just look at England's cricketers pulling and hooking when we only needed 100 off 30 overs! Brainless

I often wonder why go the expense of batting and bowling coaches, the England players seem to go worse after all the scientific analysis of their techniques.

I noticed Newcastle had some kind of SatNav device attached to the back of their shirts, I assume to work out how many million miles they had run.

On second thoughts LJ could attach SatNavs to the Latics strikers shirts and set them in the direction of the opposition penalty area.

Edited by BP1960

Dowie employed a 3-5-2 very effectively in his time as manager. But he did so with far better players, particularly far better defenders - Armstrong, Hall, Hill, Beharall, Haining, etc...

We don't have that sort of quality in our squad now and for that reason, I would be inclined to keep it simple and play 4-4-2 or some variant thereof.

Dowie employed a 3-5-2 very effectively in his time as manager. But he did so with far better players, particularly far better defenders - Armstrong, Hall, Hill, Beharall, Haining, etc...

We don't have that sort of quality in our squad now and for that reason, I would be inclined to keep it simple and play 4-4-2 or some variant thereof.

If we had Lanzoni as the right sided of the 3, Tarky in the Centre, Grounds on the left and Korey dropping in to fill in-it would work!

Oh dear they have all gone!

So I totally agree!

Edited by ChaddySmoker

I think you might get a few on here questioning the quality of Beharall and Haining.