Robbo on the brink? Has a previous manager ever turned it round from such a position?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that the manager has always had a 'Northern Ireland' mentality, in as much as he sets the team up to keep it tight and hopefully nick a goal at the other end. The problem with that though is our strikers - and midfielders - are so inept going forward that once we've conceded there's next to no chance of us scoring twice.

I don't blame the players too much though because as I've said before, they are playing to their level which is basically League 2.

I do blame the manager though for the style of play. We spend far too much time doing pointless passing in our half or around the halfway line, usually ending in a misplaced pass or poor control before we get anywhere near the opposition penalty area.

It's boring to watch as we have little or no goal threat! For gods sake get the ball in the box!! At least something might happen. Nothing is going to happen on the halfway line!

Down to the managers tactics and instructions I'd say.

Seems to me that the manager has always had a 'Northern Ireland' mentality, in as much as he sets the team up to keep it tight and hopefully nick a goal at the other end. The problem with that though is our strikers - and midfielders - are so inept going forward that once we've conceded there's next to no chance of us scoring twice.

I don't blame the players too much though because as I've said before, they are playing to their level which is basically League 2.

I do blame the manager though for the style of play. We spend far too much time doing pointless passing in our half or around the halfway line, usually ending in a misplaced pass or poor control before we get anywhere near the opposition penalty area.

It's boring to watch as we have little or no goal threat! For gods sake get the ball in the box!! At least something might happen. Nothing is going to happen on the halfway line!

Down to the managers tactics and instructions I'd say.

Read my Dover match comments on the Fleetwood thread, their manager has a totally different philosophy than SR, result 55 goals in the conference so far.

I couldn't agree more. If we were losing matches 5-4 or 4-3 at least we could say that we just need to tighten things up at the back, but this style of play and the woeful strikers and attacking midfielders mean that once we go one down it's pretty much over.

Surely it's obvious to the manager and his assistant that we need to get the ball in the box much more often than we do!

It's probably stating the obvious but as well as being the lowest scorers I would think that we also create the least number of chances to score.

Wake up Robinson while you are still in a job!!

I couldn't agree more. If we were losing matches 5-4 or 4-3 at least we could say that we just need to tighten things up at the back, but this style of play and the woeful strikers and attacking midfielders mean that once we go one down it's pretty much over.

Surely it's obvious to the manager and his assistant that we need to get the ball in the box much more often than we do!

It's probably stating the obvious but as well as being the lowest scorers I would think that we also create the least number of chances to score.

Wake up Robinson while you are still in a job!!

If they can find goalscorers why cant we, must be in a similar wage range?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/dover-athletic/top-scorers

Isn't striking a combination of: confidence/ability/team?

Our strikers take too long to manoeuvre into position then the chance is blocked or gone, as you say its a combination of things with this team, at another club they may well score goals, just as Adam Rooney did.

But then when the odd cross goes flashing across goal and the strikers aren't there to get on the end then that just shows that the strikers don't have the goalscoring instinct that any self respecting striker needs. Have a look at the goalscoring records of any of the forwards and McKay apart they are pretty abysmal, that's why they are playing where they are and why they were available to us at such a late stage in the pre-season.

The midfielders don't help either, Flynn might have the odd goal in him, and maybe Winchester, but McLaughlin, Fane, Green and Croft won't score. In fact we'll be lucky to get 10 goals from midfield all season.

A number of managers have now played defensive football, has this been a directive from above if not why has Corney not insisted the managers change the style of play and have a go?

No, its the tip tap philosophy drummed into coaches today who can't think for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

It was only in relation to the 'all arriving at once' aspect to accurately reflect the timeline. Clearly Corney was involved with the Jacobson signing.

Forgot about Blackman. And I'm not at all sure why people think Colbeck was Jewish - never seen anything other than on here to that effect and the moment anybody Jewish has any form of relative sporting (or any other) success then it will at least be reported in the Jewish press.

I don't know whether he was Jewish, I do know that he wasn't a professional footballer, he was diabolical he couldn't trap a bag of sand.

Up there amongst the worst we've ever had IMO.