Robbo on the brink? Has a previous manager ever turned it round from such a position?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Royle got ine point out of 9 games once, possibly 84/85 or 86/87

I'll have a look in the book

Crikey it was worse than I thought. One draw and 9 defeats in 10 consecutive league games 85/86. And I don't remember anyone calling for Royles head. Interestingly the forwards he had were Futcher Palmer Quinn and Fairclough. Defence was Goram, Donachie, McDonagh, Hoolickin and Ryan. Scored 9 and conceded 26. What may have helped was having won 8 and drawn 3 of the first 14 games of the season.

you didn't have social media or the internet in those days.

Crikey it was worse than I thought. One draw and 9 defeats in 10 consecutive league games 85/86. And I don't remember anyone calling for Royles head. Interestingly the forwards he had were Futcher Palmer Quinn and Fairclough. Defence was Goram, Donachie, McDonagh, Hoolickin and Ryan. Scored 9 and conceded 26. What may have helped was having won 8 and drawn 3 of the first 14 games of the season.

They bought Paul Jones and Andy Linighan in late December/January and lost 4 of the remaining 17.

As I rememberthat team played with a lot of attacking flair, maybe the division was high quality back then.

They bought Paul Jones and Andy Linighan in late December/January and lost 4 of the remaining 17.

1985, some good players in that side and got thrashed.

https://youtu.be/NkRWzEY0cvE

Does anybody else think that Robbo is just avoiding questions around transfers as he knows the embargo won't be lifted. He seems in quite good spirits otherwise under the circumstances. He cracked a joke about us scoring a goal at Fleetwood and even seemed like the death threat from the crank was water off a ducks back.

I think we picked up one point in about three months and then lost to division 4 Orient in the cup when Joe was in charge.

I have no recollection of there being any talk of him going , but it was along miserable period ....but as mentioned Linighan and Paul Jones arrived and the good times weren't far away.

At some stage is no one on the senior management team going to ask are all these managers we keep appointing and sacking useless?

No , of course they aren't , the problem is the job , resources ,money and 2 decades of stagnation .

Who on earth would want the job , embargo or no embargo.

Look at the difference to the names mentioned earlier in the thread,from the mid 80's

Players of ability and plenty of characters......but the biggest difference is they were part of a recognisable team who fans could bond with , not 11 different lads each 12 months .

True, most teams back then turned out the same players year after year, how can fans identify with here today gone tomorrow players?

Agents have a lot to answer for IMO, hawking players from pillar to post.

Edited by BP1960

Jorvik got a point, in fact how many signings and who were they, prior to robinsons arrival?

I can't remember....

I wanted to ask that the last Meet the Manager but having told that Luke guy with the Microphone I had another question he said we had no time left and gave it to someone else to ask.

Just watched the LP interview.

His focus on Fleetwood seemed strange, usually managers are happy to talk about a long-term plan for the transfer window or expectations beyond the next game. Robinson reluctant to even consider that it seems.

Although we probably shouldn't read too much into that, tomorrow could well be Robinson's last hurrah if it goes tits up.

Get the SOS out to Sheridan... I can here the chanting again now, 'Here's to you...'

Anthony Gee and Sideshow Cop have made it clear on GMR phone ins that they've signed players in the past ala George Green, Lee Hughes etc. I'm fairly sure Corney has too going all the way back to the Penney season and a number of Jewish players being signed (nothing wrong with that, however all arriving at once seemed to highlight a pattern). O'Driscoll was involved this summer in signings also. I'm sure I read somewhere that Corney chose to spend the money we didn't use on Vardy to sign Montano instead.

Anthony Gee and Sideshow Cop have made it clear on GMR phone ins that they've signed players in the past ala George Green, Lee Hughes etc. I'm fairly sure Corney has too going all the way back to the Penney season and a number of Jewish players being signed (nothing wrong with that, however all arriving at once seemed to highlight a pattern). O'Driscoll was involved this summer in signings also. I'm sure I read somewhere that Corney chose to spend the money we didn't use on Vardy to sign Montano instead.

Penney was appointed on 30 April 2009.

We signed Joe Jacobson on 18 June 2009.

We signed Dean Furman on 29 June 2009.

Penney was appointed on 30 April 2009.

We signed Joe Jacobson on 18 June 2009.

We signed Dean Furman on 29 June 2009.

I seem to remember Jacobson being a Corney signing. He'd been released by Bristol Rovers and Corney said something along the lines of "I wouldn't normally interfere but when I found out Joe had been released I had to sign him (having seen him play previously".

Furman was all Penney though.