Conor Ripley - Yes or No?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

I reckon someone will pay actual money to Boro to actually buy him...whereas our offer of brass buttons will be acknowledged as quaint and rejected.

That's assuming that Boro want to sell.......Boro/Gibson don't need the money and in a year or two could be considered better than Sunderland's Pickford.

13 hours ago, Magister said:

Coleman and Ripley in the same sentence? Chalk and cheese

Coleman after a couple of shaky games last season proved himself to be a decent keeper. Most on here without knowing we were getting Ripley would have been more than happy for him to be our keeper for this season. I don't think it's too unrealistic to say that if Coleman had started for us this season he would be getting many of the plaudits that Ripley is getting.

4 minutes ago, philliggi said:

How about getting coleman in on loan if Huddersfield go up? I'd be happy with that if re signing Ripley didn't come off. 

Just a thought

Would Huddersfield want that, they have been happy to have Coleman as back up this season.

2 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

That's assuming that Boro want to sell.......Boro/Gibson don't need the money and in a year or two could be considered better than Sunderland's Pickford.

True. But if he's fourth pick, he'll definitely want to leave. And someone will definitely want him and pay good money for him. We definitely want him. It's the "good money" bit where we're looking a bit shaky. 

9 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

True. But if he's fourth pick, he'll definitely want to leave. And someone will definitely want him and pay good money for him. We definitely want him. It's the "good money" bit where we're looking a bit shaky. 

Feedback will have been good and has been stated earlier, Guzan and Valdez are offski, so during the close season he'll be number 2 to some other soppy Spaniard until they bring in someone with experience. With 4 keepers on the books last year, Boro must have seen something to loan him out and his stock will have risen whilst on loan to us unlike Guzan (relegated twice from the Premiership in successive seasons) and Valdez (now he must be bad if he can't outshine Guzan).

My guess is a League One loan again or a third choice with Boro. 

15 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Feedback will have been good and has been stated earlier, Guzan and Valdez are offski, so during the close season he'll be number 2 to some other soppy Spaniard until they bring in someone with experience. With 4 keepers on the books last year, Boro must have seen something to loan him out and his stock will have risen whilst on loan to us unlike Guzan (relegated twice from the Premiership in successive seasons) and Valdez (now he must be bad if he can't outshine Guzan).

My guess is a League One loan again or a third choice with Boro. 

I agree with everyone who said he's better than League One. And in development terms, you can't do much more than he's done this season (best keeper in the league by miles for the team offering shooting practice to all comers). I hope he either gets a game for Boro or they do the decent thing and sell him. And I'd even hold a candle for Saint Connor if he went and played for Dirty Leeds.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

He's the sort of player where you could make a few quid with if you were prepared to lay out, admittedly if Boro let him go it would be with a sizable sell on, I'd imagine they'd want anywhere upto a million if they were looking to sell. I heard Villa were looking at him at one stage but I'm not sure how Boro being relegated would affect that, he clearly wants to play and thrives on game time and I get the feeling he'd much rather play week in week out for us than warm Boro's bench in the Championship, he must have a good relationship with Nash and has developed under him so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Boro might extend his contract and send him back to us for six months, here's hoping.

19 minutes ago, Magister said:

if you were giving careers advice or even financial advice to Ripley would you advise to play another year for us? I wouldn't 

If you'd of said that in August when we signed him many would of agreed with you but it's not been too shabby for the lad, players like Baxter and Smith dropped down to play for us before getting their moves to bigger clubs so it's not unprecedented and his stock has risen considerably even though we've battled in the bottom 6 for the majority of the season, another season may even appeal to him we just don't know.

20 minutes ago, Magister said:

if you were giving careers advice or even financial advice to Ripley would you advise to play another year for us? I wouldn't 

Understandable if he had a free hand but he hasn't....he's contracted to Boro. If they rate him they'll keep him for the future and loan him out, so a club like ours wouldn't need to worry about the money. If they don't, then he'll be sold for a fee far in excess of what we can afford, probably Championship level.

Probably the best goal keeper we have had for the last 20 years.

It is precisely because we have taken another journey to the bottom of the league and been under the cosh so much that Ripley has been able to show his undoubted ability.

I can't agree that he does not command his area.  Where he does need to improve is with the ball at his feet.

39 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Understandable if he had a free hand but he hasn't....he's contracted to Boro. If they rate him they'll keep him for the future and loan him out, so a club like ours wouldn't need to worry about the money. If they don't, then he'll be sold for a fee far in excess of what we can afford, probably Championship leve

42 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If you'd of said that in August when we signed him many would of agreed with you but it's not been too shabby for the lad, players like Baxter and Smith dropped down to play for us before getting their moves to bigger clubs so it's not unprecedented and his stock has risen considerably even though we've battled in the bottom 6 for the majority of the season, another season may even appeal to him we just don't know.

Whether you look at it from his angle or from his employers angle! His career, if it is to blossom,  has to be developed. He has done us now he needs new experiences new challenges etc

it is much like any employer / graduate development scheme....he has done a year in that department at that branch with that manager and that culture . He  now needs a different department or branch  and a different experience ....or or if he is ready his firstbsubstantive post 

Yeah, have to say I agree with Magister on this. He's shown he can perform at this level. For his personal development and his club's benefit it would be better if he can demonstrate he can do it at a higher level, on loan or as a regular or semi-regular. Another season in League One would only tell them what they already know.

As much as I'd love him to come back here I wouldn't be putting money on it.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

I don't really go along with idea that a keeper needs to be playing at a higher level, the job description doesn't really change that much.

Well, he does if he has ambitions to play in front of big crowds, in Europe, internationally, earning the money that those bring - or if his club want to benefit from his skills rather than paying for someone else. Or even if they don't see him as good enough but want to maximise his value before flogging him.

11 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Well, he does if he has ambitions to play in front of big crowds, in Europe, internationally, earning the money that those bring - or if his club want to benefit from his skills rather than paying for someone else. Or even if they don't see him as good enough but want to maximise his value before flogging him.

Footstats tells me he's faced 210 shots on target and conceded 44 goals.

Say he gets in Boro team next season and posts similar numbers does that mean he's improved because it's a division above?

Boro being relegated muddies it a little though, I know it's unlikely but given the choice of Championship bench warmer or stand out keeper in League 1 (again) I know which one he'd prefer. They won't be keen to loan out to a potential rival so it's not unfeasible he could find his way back here, we can live in hope.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Say he gets in Boro team next season and posts similar numbers does that mean he's improved because it's a division above?

In theory, yes, although it depends on other things too, like the quality of the forwards he's facing and his own defence.

I'd concede that the difference between a good goalkeeper at non-league and international levels is probably less than the difference between a striker at those levels, but that doesn't mean there's no difference.

Edited by Crusoe

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Out of interest, how does that compare as a percentage of shot saves compared to the rest of the division?