"The best times at the club was when he wasn't there"

16 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Wow, that’s actually quite revealing...confirms what I felt from the start, Scholes heart wasn’t really in it and frankly I just don’t see him as Manager material.

And that clown Macmanaman, who clearly had no idea of the detail.....”the results weren’t that bad” !!??  he tried to talk up the interference and Scholes corrected him saying it only happened once 

Just more entitled, over paid, Premier League and Champions League obsessed twats in a studio taking a momentary interest in the lower leagues because their mate had been involved for a few weeks 

Twats!!!

I agree totally with your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs, but how do you come to the conclusion that Scholes’ heart wasn’t really in it? I don’t get that at all.

5 hours ago, Andy b said:

Scholes is respected by millions. People listen to what he has to say (rightly or wrongly) and our club’s reputation and circumstances will now be fixed in peoples mind.

The nuanced points being raised aren’t appreciated by non-oldham fans who will take what scholes says on face value, as each of us does when only fleetingly engaging in an issue which is not personal to us. 

Regardless of whether Scholes was/is good, bad or indifferent.... focussing the narrative on him is to obfuscate in respect of the issue that should be everyone’s focus.

Scholes is nothing to do with the club anymore, so he is irrelevant. His experiences when he was however are... and they point towards the person(s) who should receive the attention.

• Like 1

Just now, deyres42 said:

But what's your answer?

You just got it. . . 

Surely your not reducing your argument to should would could???  Any manager in the history of football can claim that. 

Its a results buisness. As you well know. 

Is he unlucky, or is their a pattern that he can’t get his side to concentrate for 95 minutes. 

3 last minute goals suggests the latter. 

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

And we will never get a true transcript will we! Obviously only get Scholes slant on it where he just couldn't operate in those terrible conditions etc - nothing on perhaps he had bitten off more than he could chew with this management lark as suggested by his one win in seven matches.

We only get Scholes’s slant because he chose to comment whereas AL continues to remain silent. I actually think the football was better under Scholes even though the results weren’t.

I’m not advocating Scholes was the messiah but is 7 games really long enough for you to come out with your conclusion that  ‘he’d bitten off more than he could chew’?

We don’t know for sure what really happened regarding Paul Scholes but with overwhelming evidence over a 15 month period, from ex players, ex managers, and ex internal staff,  I would certainly have a pretty good guess!

Scholes, however,  isn’t the important issue now but our survival as a football club is.....if we continue as we are, as looks likely with this guy in charge, we are heading for the National League at best!

We need to get fully behind the trust and force this 🤡 out because despite what AL says, IMO, I don’t believe he gives a shite about this club or it’s supporters!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

You just got it. . . 

Surely your not reducing your argument to should would could???  Any manager in the history of football can claim that. 

Its a results buisness. As you well know. 

Is he unlucky, or is their a pattern that he can’t get his side to concentrate for 95 minutes. 

3 last minute goals suggests the latter. 

If your keeper stays rooted to his line (Crewe) or your player gives the ball away (Stevenage) is that because the manager didn't get them to concentrate or is it just poor decision making from the player?

Judging managers purely on results gained really only shows a lack of understanding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

We only get Scholes’s slant because he chose to comment whereas AL continues to remain silent. I actually think the football was better under Scholes even though the results weren’t.

I’m not advocating Scholes was the messiah but is 7 games really long enough for you to come out with your conclusion that  ‘he’d bitten off more than he could chew’?

We don’t know for sure what really happened regarding Paul Scholes but with overwhelming evidence over a 15 month period, from ex players, ex managers, and ex internal staff,  I would certainly have a pretty good guess!

Scholes, however,  isn’t the important issue now but our survival as a football club is.....if we continue as we are, as looks likely with this guy in charge, we are heading for the National League at best!

We need to get fully behind the trust and force this 🤡 out because despite what AL says, IMO, I don’t believe he gives a shite about this club or it’s supporters!

I agree, as I keep saying on other posts my criticism of PS doesn't translate to support of AL, as you say the chairman is extremely unpopular and a lot anecdotal stuff backs this up.

Scholes still used the surrounding issues as a cushion for his failings in the manager role (in my opinion)

Seven games in charges isn't long enough I agree but its all we have to judge PS on because he didn't give it any longer.

18 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I actually think the football was better under Scholes even though the results weren’t.

I do love football - it's amazing how 2 people can see things completely differently!

Other than the second half against Yeovil, the football under Scholes was as bad as I`ve seen. In fact, Morecambe at home was appalling. A blind man with a stick would have known that Stott is no full back. Playing him there may have destroyed his confidence because he got roasted time and again by the mighty Morecambe. One of the most baffling team sheets/tactical performances I have ever witnessed at Latics. We were literally all looking at each other in the stand and scratching our heads that day i.e. "Did this fella really play regularly for England or is the man on the touchline his twin brother?"

• Like 3

Just now, wiseowl said:

I do love football - it's amazing how 2 people can see things completely differently!

Other than the second half against Yeovil, the football under Scholes was as bad as I`ve seen. In fact, Morecambe at home was appalling. A blind man with a stick would have known that Stott is no full back. Playing him there may have destroyed his confidence because he got roasted time and again by the mighty Morecambe. One of the most baffling team sheets/tactical performances I have ever witnessed at Latics. We were literally all looking at each other in the stand and scratching our heads that day i.e. "Did this fella really play regularly for England or is the man on the touchline his twin brother?"

It was dire under Scholes. Boring. 

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If your keeper stays rooted to his line (Crewe) or your player gives the ball away (Stevenage) is that because the manager didn't get them to concentrate or is it just poor decision making from the player?

Judging managers purely on results gained really only shows a lack of understanding.

😂

Your a beauty. 

Maybe you could draw us a diagram, of pass-to miss-to created chances. Maybe include which end zone Scholes had most success in, thus meaning his minutes to management ratio was excelllent. 

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

But as we all know in these challenging times the buck stops with the guy on the touchline, regardless of the actions of the players.

This is a mediocre team we have in my opinion, and I thought well theres always next season when we can get some fresh blood in under PS, that obviously didn't happen but then along comes PW and gets another tune out of the squad and the daft mistakes stop - that could yet prove to be an element of luck on PWs part but I think he is just better at motivating and organising them than PS was.

1 minute ago, True Tic said:

But as we all know in these challenging times the buck stops with the guy on the touchline, regardless of the actions of the players.

This is a mediocre team we have in my opinion, and I thought well theres always next season when we can get some fresh blood in under PS, that obviously didn't happen but then along comes PW and gets another tune out of the squad and the daft mistakes stop - that could yet prove to be an element of luck on PWs part but I think he is just better at motivating and organising them than PS was.

Of course it is.  I’m not having it that Scholes was just unlucky. He just wasn’t any good. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂

Your a beauty. 

Maybe you could draw us a diagram, of pass-to miss-to created chances. Maybe include which end zone Scholes had most success in, thus meaning his minutes to management ratio was excelllent. 

Shot data was very bad under Scholes, has improved only marginally in the four games since. What can we put that down to?

3 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Be surprising if he wasn't given the difference in experience between the two.

Just now, deyres42 said:

Shot data was very bad under Scholes, has improved only marginally in the four games since. What can we put that down to?

What are you going on about? 

Results >>>>>>>>> stats.  Stats don’t show attitude and commitment. They don’t show speed and flow of play. They don’t show nuance.  Data alone is a very blunt tool.