Mike Newton's Blog

Another sensible and well structured piece by Mike. Acknowledges disagreement but demonstrates positive thought and ambition.

Mike Blog

It's is always enojyable and I like what he has to stay.

I do think that Tony Bugby has had a hand in the writing of it, but the sentiment and direction of the board is heartening, and the right approach I think.

I would say that the Leeds business Manager will have loads of new ideas but not all will be able to be put in practice or even work.

So yes, the general direction at grassroots first has to be the right one.

Get LAtics name out and about int he community for events.

Bit of an indicator that Guy Marketing Guy will not be taking such a prominent role perhaps? (not that he could it was not full time) as these small scale marketing initiatives would not fit with his experience. Just speculating.

Edited by singe

I wish a few others at the club would take a leaf out of his book. Despite the pending cut in budget, still a positive read.

In my experience, the key to any successful relationship (business or other) is honesty and communication - Mike demonstrates that he has this in abundance. He also seems to care about the club and its success - nice read. :wink:

Will we be told what our ambition is next season sothat we can decide whether to buy a season ticket? It seems that what we have acheived this year is what was expected. We did hear talk of a play off spot and the odd automatic spot but we were lied to..

As mentioned above.

Grass Roots:

Send the players out to youth teams of ages 6+ get them interested in going to see the people they have just met play live a couple of times and we might just get them hooked, or interested enough to nag their dads to take them a few more times.

Get them before they ruin their lives by becoming insipid Manchester United fans.

Call it football cleansing.

Will we be told what our ambition is next season sothat we can decide whether to buy a season ticket? It seems that what we have acheived this year is what was expected. We did hear talk of a play off spot and the odd automatic spot but we were lied to..

Failed to deliver perhaps. It's no guarrantee to get in the play off spots and I'm sure that is a minimum aim each season as it should be but I don't think it's an ultimate demand we get there or get sacked. We've stayed up comfortably in the end when it was looking like anything but around the turn of the year.

Another good read from Mike, it does seem to me that he is taking hold of the reigns more at the club and becoming more influential. Apart from the odd bit from Corney you hear not a lot from the owners. It's good to hear we are trying things out, looking at ideas and initatives, looking forward instead of backwards.

It's is always enojyable and I like what he has to stay.

I do think that Tony Bugby has had a hand in the writing of it, but the sentiment and direction of the board is heartening, and the right approach I think.

I would say that the Leeds business Manager will have loads of new ideas but not all will be able to be put in practice or even work.

So yes, the general direction at grassroots first has to be the right one.

Get LAtics name out and about int he community for events.

Bit of an indicator that Guy Marketing Guy will not be taking such a prominent role perhaps? (not that he could it was not full time) as these small scale marketing initiatives would not fit with his experience. Just speculating.

if the club start to have more things going on on a matchday, i think that would be a good start. at huddersfield a couplw of weeks ago they had a cross bar challenge, interview, prize draws and a good feel. what do we have? next season, get a kids game in the corner every game to get more fans in (parents to see their kid and in the future if they like what they see), get a penalty shoot out with chaddy going or something like that so even if the game is crap, you have something good about the afternoon.

I can't speak to other fans but we've finished where I expected us to finish, what annoys the fans is the manner of which it has been acheived

I have to agree with that - and to be honest I would settle for the same finishing position in the table next season when I fear we'll be even closer to relegation than this one. As for the manner in which it has been achieved - I suppose that I might be lucky in that regard because I work in Dublin and didn't get to see most of the performances.

Speaking of which - when I went over for a match that was called off due to a frozen pitch, me and my mates met Mike outside the ground and he was a gent. He made sure we got a bite to eat and got to meet some of the players etc which salvaged something from the trip, and I think he's a top bloke

if the club start to have more things going on on a matchday, i think that would be a good start. at huddersfield a couplw of weeks ago they had a cross bar challenge, interview, prize draws and a good feel. what do we have? next season, get a kids game in the corner every game to get more fans in (parents to see their kid and in the future if they like what they see), get a penalty shoot out with chaddy going or something like that so even if the game is crap, you have something good about the afternoon.

Are you meaning for the kids here? Because I go to BP to watch the football and nothing else. If anything make sure there's enough food and beer stocked, bookies are open etc.

I can't speak to other fans but we've finished where I expected us to finish, what annoys the fans is the manner of which it has been acheived

Spot on, except that I think we've been bloody lucky to finish where we did. So, we have survived, but look how we achieved that. We couldn't kill off 10 men against Southend, two of whom were hobbling passengers, but we have survived. The Rt Hon Sir David Twopence has worked his magic. He's performed miracles, jumped through hoops, cobbled together a team of misfits, no hopers, lazy sods, hard grafters and skilled ballsmiths and, somehow, kept us in League 1 by playing the most God-awful football I have seen in 60 years. He has to bring something special to the dance next season, 'cos I couldn't stand another one like this. A six or seven match run does not mean it's been decent fare.

Given where I live, coupled with other, rather more personal factors (no funny comments, please, I'm being serious) I don't get to as many games as most, but I do appreciate the honesty of Mike's blog. He tells it as it is, straight from the heart. You don't have to read between the lines to realise that maybe, just maybe, he ain't too enamoured with DP either and he certainly isn't thrilled with the football we've been lumbered with. He and the rest of the board are quite obviously acutely aware of what awaits next season. So are the fans and the alarming drop in attendances is a perfect indicator of what they're thinking.

Please Mike, co-directors and management team, give us something we want to come and watch. I'd rather go down fighting and entertaining than scraping results like a damp squib. Maybe this sums it up. For reasons I won't go into here, I can't make the last two games of the season and, for the first time in 60 years, I really don't care that much.

Keep it up Mike, it's good stuff. You're interacting with the fans, so all we want now is a product that is enjoyable, even in spite of results. If Latics had been an item of clothing this season, I'd have taken it back as sub-standard and wanted a refund. Everyone at the club can give us something to look forward to and Mike's blog is a step in the right direction.

Apologies if any of this should be in another thread.

Edited by Bristolatic