New Reserve System

Good or bad thing? As long as enough games are played I would say good, it may bring some interesting opposition.

Reserve News

Anybody going to the Forest game tomorrow evening? I enjoyed the Hudds game last week and would recommend it if you have nothing to do. Its interesting to see the young players and play the scout - the three I singled out as playing well last week ended up making up the bench on Saturday! Maybe Shez read my report?!? :)

7pm kick off again???

The club can spin it however they like but it sounds like cost cutting to me. I can't see how the 'stiffs' getting stuffed every week by international standard premier league reserves will help us. The younger players will just get used to losing.

As long as Sheridan can get the matches. To be honest the stiffs have struggled this campaign in the higher standard league this season compared to recent times, so this tougher matches comment is odd. True the stiffs have suffered along with the first team due to club injuries. You would have expected the likes of Smalley, Lewis, Lomax and Wolfy to have featured more regularly along with the returning from injury first teamers and those that sat on the bench.

If Fergie took his 4th and 5th sides outta the central league cos he deemed his charges weren't getting tough enough competition I can't see why he'd be happy to send a side next season either.

Edited by Lags

The club can spin it however they like but it sounds like cost cutting to me. I can't see how the 'stiffs' getting stuffed every week by international standard premier league reserves will help us. The younger players will just get used to losing.

Yeah you're probably right actually.

It does seem a bit odd. The standard of opposition hasn't exactly been poor this season, as results show. From a purely selfish point of view I'm gutted - it's been great having so many local Reserve away games this season, although if Greedy league fans think they are messed about with kick off dates and times they should try following Latics Reserves. Hopefully they will still make it this far South a few times a season. I've been going to local Reserve games since I was a lad and it would be a shame for that to stop, especially as I struggle to get to matches on Saturdays.

Edited by oafc_ok

I thought the 'New reserve system' was to play numerous random trialists, in a blatant attempt to hide the fact we actually have no players... and otherwise we would be playing our under-12s...!

We might have to have a little bigger squad, if these games against the big boys aren't going to decend into farce...

I think its a good idea myself, can play reserve games pretty much as and when we want to. Looks like the club have highlighted the reserve games this season as a cause to the number of injuries we've had so far.

Although I can the point of view of less reserve games, saving money. Won't need to use Bower Fold, saving money that way and probably playing a few more games away as well.

Used to losing? They've been spanked almost every week this season too.

What happened with regards to the league were in last season? Was it deemed too easy for the younger players. We strolled through many of them and maybe the club thought playing better opposition in the Central would improve the youngsters in other areas. Not sure if that has really worked though.

Used to losing? They've been spanked almost every week this season too.

What happened with regards to the league were in last season? Was it deemed too easy for the younger players. We strolled through many of them and maybe the club thought playing better opposition in the Central would improve the youngsters in other areas. Not sure if that has really worked though.

I don't think this years youth players are to the standard yet than of last seasons, we've had a lot of last years team now in our first-team. Even this seasons youth team aren't doing as well under Philliskirk than they have in previous seasons.

I don't think this years youth players are to the standard yet than of last seasons, we've had a lot of last years team now in our first-team. Even this seasons youth team aren't doing as well under Philliskirk than they have in previous seasons.

He did say at the time they did the double two seasons in a row that those lads were exceptional though and so it has proved as many are now first team regulars or like Holness and Higginbotham, at other professional clubs.

They seem to have acknowledged the current ones are not yet up to the required standard but then moved them into a stronger reserve league where many of them are given an opportunity in their second year.

Quote from Hardy "I must stress that we are not scrapping the reserve team, but instead the manager is aiming to enhance the standard of opposition we will be facing."

Enhance the opposition any more than this season and the reserves will be swamped in every game as opposed to just being thumped as they have been in most games this season. Maybe a better choice of words would have been that the manager was aiming to find a more appropriate level of opposition. The northern Pontins league seems to weak and the midlands too strong

Unfortunately though players do not take friendlies seriously (both teams), and I doubt we could cobble together enough games to keep them ticking over at match fitness levels.

Worst kind of cost cutting, which ever way it's spun.

Edited by laticsrblue

After the hole in the ressies fixture list this season and the way we've been able to arrange reserve friendlies at short term notice, it possibility ain't such a bad idea. Not sure about improving the standard though...think that's just a cover story and it's simply for flexibility of fixtures to benefit us. Hope so.

Quote from Hardy "I must stress that we are not scrapping the reserve team, but instead the manager is aiming to enhance the standard of opposition we will be facing."

Enhance the opposition any more than this season and the reserves will be swamped in every game as opposed to just being thumped as they have been in most games this season. Maybe a better choice of words would have been that the manager was aiming to find a more appropriate level of opposition. The northern Pontins league seems to weak and the midlands too strong

Unfortunately though players do not take friendlies seriously (both teams), and I doubt we could cobble together enough games to keep them ticking over at match fitness levels.

Worst kind of cost cutting, which ever way it's spun.

Agreed. As a regular spectator at away Reserves games, I have been amazed at the gulf in class between us and the opposition, compared to previous seasons. Not because they're playing clubs from a higher level, even Shrewsbury outplayed us. The best performance I've seen was in the second half at the Hawthorns on Monday against a youthful WBA team which only included two senior players.

We've been told the Reserves is a means of blooding young players and getting first teamers back to fitness. Whether the proposed friendlies will achieve these objectives remains to be seen.

I can recommend watching the Champions, Forest Reserves, today for a good footballing spectacle.

Does anyone remember the days when Latics reserves played non league teams like Stalybridge Celtic, Ashton United, Hyde United and Droylsden in the Lancashire Combination and Cheshire League ?

Edited by BP1960

Does anyone remember the days when Latics reserves played non league teams like Stalybridge Celtic, Ashton United, Hyde United and Droylsden in the Lancashire Combination and Cheshire League ?

Yes I remember it, if memory serves me I think we resigned from the old Central League way back in the mists of time (the 1930's I think) and were playing in regional reserve football such as the Cheshire League and the Lancashire League playing teams such as Everton A team etc. We had to re-apply to rejoin the Central League and were only accepted when they expanded to two divisions probably in the 1980's or late 1970's.

In the 1960's we even played in the North Regional League for a couple of seasons playing the reseves of Sunderland, Hartlepool & Gateshead.

Yes I remember it, if memory serves me I think we resigned from the old Central League way back in the mists of time (the 1930's I think) and were playing in regional reserve football such as the Cheshire League and the Lancashire League playing teams such as Everton A team etc. We had to re-apply to rejoin the Central League and were only accepted when they expanded to two divisions probably in the 1980's or late 1970's.

In the 1960's we even played in the North Regional League for a couple of seasons playing the reseves of Sunderland, Hartlepool & Gateshead.

Indeed.We were in the Lancs Combination when I started in 1960. , then left and went into the Cheshire League. And , under Mister Bates, were also in the Northern Floodlight League for a while! This was I think his "brainchild" and only lasted few seasons. When it folded we were forced into the Lancs League and our reserves were up against (and I quote from a 69/70 programme -) Bury A, Chorley Reserves, Fleeetwood Reserves, Burnley A etc... Hardly stiff opposition.

IIRC the results of the ST renewing poll on here showed about 40% not renewing then it is little surprise that the club may wish to cut costs. If this is bourne out in to reality then we will have to cut out cloth accordingly and have a smaller squad.

Besides, this season we have struggled to put out a reserve side calling on yoofs to make up the places so it makes sense. If a typical match squad is 16 meaning we would need a full squad of nearly 30 pros plus yoofs to cover first team, reserve and yoof league commitments it makes sense to cut back on the reserves.

Indeed.We were in the Lancs Combination when I started in 1960. , then left and went into the Cheshire League. And , under Mister Bates, were also in the Northern Floodlight League for a while! This was I think his "brainchild" and only lasted few seasons. When it folded we were forced into the Lancs League and our reserves were up against (and I quote from a 69/70 programme -) Bury A, Chorley Reserves, Fleeetwood Reserves, Burnley A etc... Hardly stiff opposition.

I remember the Northern Floodlit League and used to go to the games at BP watching all Jimmy McIlroy's Irish youngsters who really did not live up to their billing apart from Allan Hunter & Ronnie Blair

I remember the Northern Floodlit League and used to go to the games at BP watching all Jimmy McIlroy's Irish youngsters who really did not live up to their billing apart from Allan Hunter & Ronnie Blair

That reminds me of the young Irish lad Tony Foster's brilliant league debut, he then faded into obscurity.

That reminds me of the young Irish lad Tony Foster's brilliant league debut, he then faded into obscurity.

Foster was the top scorer on the Latics tour of Rhodesia & malawi, I think he scored 6 in one game. What happened to him?