Gannon To Become Manager

Just read in The Mirror that we are ready to make a move for Gannon at the end of the season. Penney's position to be reviewed. Sean Gregan and Frankie Bunn would be other contender for the job should Penney go.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Oldha...icle376255.html

Gregan's got another year on his playing contract left and he'd be a silly appointment.

No he wouldn't. He's already on the payroll so if they get rid of this clown, Gregan's appointment wouldn't cost us any more money. Having said that while he has more fight and determination than Penney, I would hope he would concentrate on the playing side for another year!

I wouldn't rule it out though.

He should go now. Gregan as interim player manager until the end of the season will give the players and fans the lift we all need, and a chance to show TTA what he can do, as they decide what to do next season.

The Penney finally drops...

Gregan doesn't have back to back promotions on his C.V and has no managerial experience. Whether you like it or not the best person at the club to manage us is Dave Penney. And right now Gregan is one of our most consistent performance and perhaps the reason we aren't in the relegation zone, do you really want to jeopardise his on field performance by giving him a ton of off field responsibility? Hell, if we're bringing anyone in as manager at this point it'd be David Eyres for me. That said, Penney should remain until the end of the season at least. Give him the chance to get us out of this mess. At the point, the only thing we can do is back our manager....we aren't going to magically pull out a top notch replacement out of a hat. A new manager would need time to settle in, take Joe for instance, a superb manager, proven himself 10 fold with us and Everton. He could only get 1 win out of 10 last season, is that a reflection on him as a manager? No, it was reflection on a team gone to the dogs (no pun intended). There's no time for change this season, that point has past. Whatever is wrong with us at the moment, manager or team, all we can do is pull together, grind it out and hope by the end of the season we a point more than the team in 21st. Then we re-assess the situation.

Yes, I'd take Jim Gannon next season. BUT I don't totally object to Penney seeing out his final year.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

He should go now. Gregan as interim player manager until the end of the season will give the players and fans the lift we all need, and a chance to show TTA what he can do, as they decide what to do next season.

The Penney finally drops...

How would he lift the players? And why is he not lifting the players ON the pitch now?

How would he lift the players? And why is he not lifting the players ON the pitch now?

My thoughts entirely after watching the Beeb highlights last night, after that second goal went in his shoulders dropped, his arms werethrown up in the air.

C'mon Greegs your the captain, you have years of experience under your belt, christ you could father half the 1st team, as fans we want to see you gee the team up when things look grim, Gerrardesque style, so c'mon show some fighting spirit.

Gannon was the only choice for me this time last year. I was gutted when we appointed someone else. I do think he could whip the core of our side into shape and make a few decent signings; however, the overwhelming feeling is that it's too late. Patience is practically zilch; if he didn't win all his games, playing football like Barcelona whilst having the work ethic of, say, Stoke, then he'd have the fanbase on his back in no time. I just can't see any manager getting any time whatsoever now, and there's a clearly defined, precise moment in time that this bizarre power shift occured...

Gannon was the only choice for me this time last year. I was gutted when we appointed someone else. I do think he could whip the core of our side into shape and make a few decent signings; however, the overwhelming feeling is that it's too late. Patience is practically zilch; if he didn't win all his games, playing football like Barcelona whilst having the work ethic of, say, Stoke, then he'd have the fanbase on his back in no time. I just can't see any manager getting any time whatsoever now, and there's a clearly defined, precise moment in time that this bizarre power shift occured...

I certainly don't think he'd take well to Corney advising him on players to sign like he has with Sheridan/Penney. Perhaps that's why we won't bother with him.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

My thoughts entirely after watching the Beeb highlights last night, after that second goal went in his shoulders dropped, his arms werethrown up in the air.

C'mon Greegs your the captain, you have years of experience under your belt, christ you could father half the 1st team, as fans we want to see you gee the team up when things look grim, Gerrardesque style, so c'mon show some fighting spirit.

Gerrardesque style

Depardieu... :unsure::huh:

I suspect the story is based on "Jim Gannon was seen at BP on Tuesday night" and nothing more.

He comes to many midweek games at BP so I wouldn't read too much in to it.

Hence would be in a perfect position to make a judgement on the players as he has watched us a fair few times, unlike Penney who only got 1 game

Hence would be in a perfect position to make a judgement on the players as he has watched us a fair few times, unlike Penney who only got 1 game

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think he would be an ideal candidate at this stage of the club's history.

I suspect the newspaper report is based on little more than guesswork though.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think he would be an ideal candidate at this stage of the club's history.

I suspect the newspaper report is based on little more than guesswork though.

I wouldn't trust anything written in that rag as far as I could throw it; if 'it' was gaffa taped to Gordon's back!!

I doubt very much that SC and co would appoint a Gannon-Type Manager; as it would mean far to many clashes both behind the scenes and in the public domain.

Gannon's been to plenty of our matches; so have other managers both in & out of work; it mean not a jot as to whether they will become our future manager.......

penney should go at the end of the season because he wont attaract the players we need. so if we were to appoint a new manager gannon would be the obvious choice. its easy to say gregan but he wouldnt cut it as a manager and we cant afford to take a risk like that. from what i know of gannon, he would bring in decent players and get the respect from them and is passionate but the other side to that is that he may be too passionate. but i think that is what we need at the moment. whatever happens, TTA have alot of thinking to do at the end of the season. we just have to hope they do the right thing for the club and that means investing even more of their own money, either to attract new players or to get new management in. i wouldnt want to be in their position right now and a big factor of pleasing the fans which affects ticket sales, would end up in getting rid of penney and another manager in, possibly gannon.