Club Re-Branding

We should do a poll. Would you accept Latics playing in red if it meant we would have an extra 5 points a season (average)?

The answer would be interesting, one way or the other.

Surely it should be "Would you accept Latics playing in red if it meant we had rich investors?"

For five points I'd settle for a sky blue pink tartan kit with a kilt :-) ... Might not buy one though ... We traditionally played in red pre war ... Shame they didn't have owtb then ... We could have had a poll on the change

The Carfiff thing is a PR stunt. On the other hand, put that amount of money up for a club like that and I'm sure many would snap his hand off and allow him to make 'em play in gorilla outfits.

Sign of the times, and I think we're going to see more of this. If there's a team with a decent catchment area, they are going to get bought up and flogged to death for a crack at the big time. If teams are lucky to have that investment, they'll either go with it or get left behind - slowly drifting further away, with a ground that's falling apart. Oh...

Reminds me of Hyde FC who since 1885 were Hyde United, Citeh got involved to bail them out of the :censored: a few years ago (they play reserve games there).

They have dropped United from their name and their main stand is now full of sky blue seats instead of red seats (also a Citeh badge at the top of the stand)!

Selling your soul to the devil!

Reminds me of Hyde FC who since 1885 were Hyde United, Citeh got involved to bail them out of the :censored: a few years ago (they play reserve games there).

They have dropped United from their name and their main stand is now full of sky blue seats instead of red seats (also a Citeh badge at the top of the stand)!

Selling your soul to the devil!

And are now in the BSP, might be seeing them in League 2 in a couple of years!

And are now in the BSP, might be seeing them in League 2 in a couple of years!

I wouldn't go that far, but yes they are at the highest level in their history thanks to Citeh "saving" them. I'll be amazed if Cardiff actually go through with their conversion to Red, but I know many have tried to market them as the team of Wales a bit like the way Barcelona are marketed as the team of Catelonia and Celtic as being seen as representing Ireland etc

I wouldn't go that far, but yes they are at the highest level in their history thanks to Citeh "saving" them. I'll be amazed if Cardiff actually go through with their conversion to Red, but I know many have tried to market them as the team of Wales a bit like the way Barcelona are marketed as the team of Catelonia and Celtic as being seen as representing Ireland etc

Swansea also marketing as Wales too with their away kit, which looks quite smart to be fair...

swansea-city-12-13-adidas-away-football-shirt-a.jpg

Swansea also marketing as Wales too with their away kit, which looks quite smart to be fair...

swansea-city-12-13-adidas-away-football-shirt-a.jpg

wow that is very Welsh, back when Sam Hamman was Chairman he wanted to rename them Cardiff Celtic and have a strip similar to the one above. Imagine if Latics were renamed Oldham Lions and changed the colours to the St Georges Cross, I know a couple of fans may be all for that but I'd hate it

If they were really offering £100 million I'd play I'd play in red. Infact I'd play stark bollock naked. Then return to blue when the money runs out.

Playing naked? That would put me off my bovril but it might increase player work rate especially when the wind blows.... :shakeit:

• 4 weeks later...

First latics kit I owned was the all red away kit from the Bovis sponsored days, loved it as a kid and been trying to hunt down an original with no success (grew out of mine at 8yrs old).

To me though, colour is linked to brand association. With them buggers at Old Trafford being one of the first things that spring to mind when the words "red" and "football", that brand colour is occupied. In cardiff's case, they have the welsh colours to reinforce the branding, but that would only mean anything to people that are welsh or have links to Wales. The idea that red will appeal to foreign markets via shirts and merchandise sales more than the blue (brand name link - the team is known as the bluebirds) is kind of flawed by the fact that Liverpool and United are globally recognised not just for football but also for being from hugely influential cities, leading to their popularity and brand strength. Outside of being a super huge club in 2nd tier football, what particular legacy has Cardiff got to re-enforce it? I'm really struggling to find anything other than Tom Jones and Torchwood.

Read an article the other day about the Cardiff changes and how it was nothing new. In amongst some older changes was Leeds switching to the white kit at the request of Don Revie so that they would look like Real Madrid. Didn't know that one.

Or Coventry switching to Sky Blue from white. (So they didn't look like Real Madrid...?)