Oldham Chron No longer free online.

Guest sheridans_world

Guest sheridans_world

Just received this email:-

OLDHAM EVENING CHRONICLE

E-CHRON

After 15 months of free access to the e-Chron regrettably we now need to apply a charge. The success of the e-Chron has been amazing and we have received e-mails from all over the world in support of the e-edition.

The e-Chron gives you everything the printed paper does, including births, marriages and deaths, readers letters, Latics and Roughyeds match reviews in SportsLife, and of course unrivalled coverage of all the news and sport in and around Oldham.

Back editions of the paper can be accessed to November 1, 2006 The charge represents super value and is very competitive when compared to subscription by post.

The scale of charges are as follows:-

1 month £6

3 months £17

6 months £30

12 months £50

The annual subscription works out at less than 20p per edition.

Charges will apply from Monday, February 4, 2008

E-CHRON . . . available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week Read it in Oldham . . . or anywhere in the world

Thank you for your support

It Dosen't have the Sport pull out on a monday,you have to look at that on the normal website,and as i don't live in oldham i don't give a monkeys uncle to what is going on,apart from at B.P

Just saw this and as you say they don't even have the best bit in! I live abroad but I won't be paying for it - I"ll stick to the online version.

At 50 sheets a year it makes Latics World a snip at 35 quid now!!

Bye bye Digital Edition Chron... :grin:

The eChron was always going to end up being something you had to pay for. I spoke to a guy from the Chron a year ago about this and even back then he was saying the intention was to make it something you paid for. The amount of views the eChron gets is staggering (if the guy from the Chron is to be believed). I reckon it'll be a nice little earner for them...and fair play too.

The eChron was always going to end up being something you had to pay for. I spoke to a guy from the Chron a year ago about this and even back then he was saying the intention was to make it something you paid for. The amount of views the eChron gets is staggering (if the guy from the Chron is to be believed). I reckon it'll be a nice little earner for them...and fair play too.

It is simple economics - they have to pay their staff and they get income from selling advertisitng space and selling newspapers.

Unfortunately, I tend to read (either a physical or e-version) on Mondays for match reports and Tuesday for the Latics pages - plus the odd Wednesday after a midweek match.

What they don't seem to realise is that it doesn't work out at 20p per edition for me. I also can't read it when I am stuck in a trafffic jam if I have subscribed to an e-edition.

It is a real shame that so many people will turn their back on it. It is just another decline in our local paper - I still remember when it was also produced on a Saturday. We have already lost the Pink Final completely, and I think that the Chron may be next :disappointed:

It is simple economics - they have to pay their staff and they get income from selling advertisitng space and selling newspapers.

Unfortunately, I tend to read (either a physical or e-version) on Mondays for match reports and Tuesday for the Latics pages - plus the odd Wednesday after a midweek match.

What they don't seem to realise is that it doesn't work out at 20p per edition for me. I also can't read it when I am stuck in a trafffic jam if I have subscribed to an e-edition.

It is a real shame that so many people will turn their back on it. It is just another decline in our local paper - I still remember when it was also produced on a Saturday. We have already lost the Pink Final completely, and I think that the Chron may be next :disappointed:

'Decline in our local paper' ?? I don't think it does too bad (in fact I know it doesn't circulation wise, especially compared to papers in similar sized towns...who don't even have a daily paper).

Course, there's uncertain times ahead...but all papers face the same uncertainty.

'Decline in our local paper' ?? I don't think it does too bad (in fact I know it doesn't circulation wise, especially compared to papers in similar sized towns...who don't even have a daily paper).

Course, there's uncertain times ahead...but all papers face the same uncertainty.

That is as maybe, but the Chron aint what it used to be and I aint going to argue about it ^_^

The rise and rise of web-based content has to be having a major effect on the printed press in terms of both advertising and newspaper sales revenues. I cannot see that charging people a subscription for the e-chron is going to go down too well - evidenced by the posts on this thread. A decline in readership (whether electronic or printed) of a specifically local newspaper relates to an equal decline in the effectiveness of the publication.

Afterall, what is a local paper with a declining local readership? Doomed I tells ye!!

Edited by Rick

V true, no local daily paper in my area and the weekly, Watford Observer, is just an excuse for advertisements, with a page or two on Watford FC if they are lucky.

Oldham should be proud of its Evening Chron. (Most of the time ;))

It Dosen't have the Sport pull out on a monday,you have to look at that on the normal website,and as i don't live in oldham i don't give a monkeys uncle to what is going on,apart from at B.P

It does have the pull-out, you just have to look for it. To find it go to the drop-down menu top-left and choose "Oldham Chronicle SportsLife", see screenshot below (I'm still not paying for it though!)---->

theocen1.png

It does have the pull-out, you just have to look for it. To find it go to the drop-down menu top-left and choose "Oldham Chronicle SportsLife", see screenshot below (I'm still not paying for it though!)---->

Wow, cheers for that. All this time I never knew it was there... :(

Bob was right after all.

Still not worth 50 quid a year though.

theocen1.png

I eat humble pie(but i won't pay for it)

what about a `pay as you go` scheme..............or better still..........`pay as you read`...........so you only subscribe to the section you want to read, ie; sport !!

should only cost about 2p per night then at most.

Or just pay for the edition you read. I wouldn't mind paying the normal price for the paper (40p) to read the online version, but I am not going to subscribe at £50 per year