Ricketts - contract cancelled

It its true, thats great news. I don't like the idea of the Trotman money going to Rickets

Now confirmed in the Chron that it was a clean break with no money paid to Ricketts:-

There was also a departure, with Michael Ricketts, who has just spent three months at Walsall, having his contract cancelled by mutual consent which has not entailed any payment to the player.

"There was also a departure, with Michael Ricketts, who has just spent three months at Walsall, having his contract cancelled by mutual consent which has not entailed any payment to the player."

Now THAT was a good pice of business!

Thats what i have wanted to hear for a long time he as finaly gone waste of space to me

If thats the case why did Shez not use his massive wages to get a striker to the club............ oh I forgot well done Shez for 2 loans

Do we really want to sign someone who is on massive wages with the possible risk that he might swan around and disrupt the camaraderie in the squad?

I was not in favour of Kilkenny being made the offer to be the highest paid player. I prefer us signing players with somethimng to prove, and who are determined to grasp the opportunity given to them to take us up to the next level as team players, rather than individuals who think they're better than the others.

Do we really want to sign someone who is on massive wages with the possible risk that he might swan around and disrupt the camaraderie in the squad?

I was not in favour of Kilkenny being made the offer to be the highest paid player. I prefer us signing players with somethimng to prove, and who are determined to grasp the opportunity given to them to take us up to the next level as team players, rather than individuals who think they're better than the others.

It's a difficult balance though, sometimes if you want to bring genuine quality to your team you have to pay for it.

It's a difficult balance though, sometimes if you want to bring genuine quality to your team you have to pay for it.

Like we did with Ricketts? :wink:

It's a difficult one this. Look what Bobby Johnstone did for us when he signed- more than 17000 turned up for his debut when our gates were about 4000 at the time. Doubt we could ever really reproduce anything similar (obviously not 17k but you know what I mean) unless Scholes signed for us.

hasnt cost us anything i know that, we got a "donation" from walsall which paid the compensation, thats why we talked to walsalll before releasing him, we wouldnt just let him go, cost ourselves valuable money and not get a fee for him,

the only reason we released him instead of give him a free transfer to walsall is so that walsall have more time to negotiate terms with him,

if we give him a free transfer then walsall only had a day to get everything sorted, if not we were stuck with him, where as if we released him (which we did) he would be a free agent, therefore walsall have as long as they want to sign him and negotiate terms etc.

hasnt cost us anything i know that, we got a "donation" from walsall which paid the compensation, thats why we talked to walsalll before releasing him, we wouldnt just let him go, cost ourselves valuable money and not get a fee for him,

the only reason we released him instead of give him a free transfer to walsall is so that walsall have more time to negotiate terms with him,

if we give him a free transfer then walsall only had a day to get everything sorted, if not we were stuck with him, where as if we released him (which we did) he would be a free agent, therefore walsall have as long as they want to sign him and negotiate terms etc.

What, and meanwhile he's not getting paid? Behave. Walsall have been trying to negotiate terms for days with him according to their website.

This guy is clearly a disaster... does anybody think another club would be duped into signing him?

One other thing, it is sad - no matter what - to see a guy who once had obvious talent make a big mess of what could have been a good career. I'm sure there are players with a quarter of the talent he had who have and will go on to achieve greater careers.

What a waste.

...if we give him a free transfer then walsall only had a day to get everything sorted, if not we were stuck with him, where as if we released him (which we did) he would be a free agent, therefore walsall have as long as they want to sign him and negotiate terms etc.

Which Walsall will do IF he proves his fitness - as reported yesterday.

The often read Express & Star reports:

"Striker leaves Walsall

Striker Michael Ricketts has left Walsall after failing to agree a permanent deal to stay at the Banks’s Stadium.

The striker has a long contract at Oldham and the only way that Walsall could sign him this season now would be if his contract at Boundary Park were terminated, at which point the player could join as a free agent.

“From our point of view we want to see a fit Michael Ricketts before we take it any further,” Money said."

for some unknown reason they love him, and maybe hes not getting paid yet, but the compensation will see him through till he gets a new contract.

Hmmmm....could be something to do with being a massive part in their 17 game (not out) unbeaten run in the league....including chipping in with 5 goals.

I know why they want him....as many Latics fans who won't slag him off (for the fun of it) do also!