Would you drop Davies once Hughes is back?

Personally I would drop him and keep Hughes and Alexander up front... We need a strike partnership! At least these two are intellegent enough to form an understanding..

I cant help but think how frustrated Davies strike partners must be, there is no way of anybody forming any sort of understanding with a player so Selfish

I feel like he is our main problem at the moment and part of the reason we are so short on goals, nobody knows where he is going to be or what he is going to do next. I acknowledge that the effort is there but everything else is lacking for me.

I know he created the penalty on Saturday but again this was through his own selfishness - he should have released it to Smalley way before he was hacked down who was stood 8 yards out with a free shot at goal.

I honestly think with a run of 30 games on the trot Chris Hall would have been as effective :blush:

No I would not drop Davies for Alessandra. We have seen what Craig can do earlier in the season and if he works on his game in training with Shez and striking partner Hughes he should produce the goods again. Players like Smalley and Alessandra need to be introduced into the team slowly and while Smalley has started to taste first team action the same cannot be said for Alessandra. I think this season should be used to give the younger players more time from the bench and this would hopefuly help them play a more important part next year.

Drphibes

Plus now he has got back to scoring ways, even if it was a pen then he will have that monkey off his back and hopefully get back playing as he was earlier in the season. He is only a youngster being paid to score goals, must have been going through his mind when he wasn't getting them and trying too hard.

Hughes will be the same but has the experience to know that the goals will come if he does the basics right, Davies has to learn this and hopefully we will see the benefit of this on Saturday.

No I would not drop Davies for Alessandra. We have seen what Craig can do earlier in the season and if he works on his game in training with Shez and striking partner Hughes he should produce the goods again. Players like Smalley and Alessandra need to be introduced into the team slowly and while Smalley has started to taste first team action the same cannot be said for Alessandra. I think this season should be used to give the younger players more time from the bench and this would hopefuly help them play a more important part next year.

Drphibes

No,Allessandra's a pup (A hell of a prospect yes) and needs to be used sparingly at the moment but he's a good option to have. Stick with Davies and Hughes and get the big lad in on loan. Whilst Davies was cack in the first half on Saturday the old Craig from earlier in the season resurfaced after half-time and the goal meant a hell of a lot to him, you could see that from his reaction and it took balls to bury that penalty in the manner he did as after all his whigeing at Hughes he would've looked a complete plonker if he'd missed and i'm sure 3/4 of us there (if they are honest) thought he'd bottle it and miss.

Would you drop Davies once Hughes is back?

Personally I would drop him and keep Hughes and Alexander up front... We need a strike partnership! At least these two are intellegent enough to form an understanding..

I cant help but think how frustrated Davies strike partners must be, there is no way of anybody forming any sort of understanding with a player so Selfish

I feel like he is our main problem at the moment and part of the reason we are so short on goals, nobody knows where he is going to be or what he is going to do next. I acknowledge that the effort is there but everything else is lacking for me.

I know he created the penalty on Saturday but again this was through his own selfishness - he should have released it to Smalley way before he was hacked down who was stood 8 yards out with a free shot at goal.

I honestly think with a run of 30 games on the trot Chris Hall would have been as effective :blush:

I think singling Davies out as being the problem because he is selfish is just a tad harsh. Yes he can be - but Hughes is no better, the pair of them are constantly trying to out do the other.

We saw how strikers should link up on Tuesday with Smalley and Allessandra, 90% of the time they knew where each other were and what each other were going to do, the other 10% of the time they would get the ball, heads up and look for each other.

I can't remember the last time Hughes, or Davies actually lifted their head and looked at who might be in a better position when they are going towards goal. Yes all strikers need a certain amount of selfishness but I think they take it a little too far and it isnt benefitting anybody.

People have been very quick to forget that up until the 24th of November when Hughes got his goals at Bournemouth Davies had scored 5 goals in the league and apart from the one at Walsall, everyone had an impact in terms of the points it won for us. The six points those 4 goals gained for us mean we aren't sat 1 place above the relegation zone, where we would have been without them. Back then he was the hero, everbody loved him. All of a sudden Hughes is the big hero and people are on CD's back far far too easily.

I'm not saying he doesn't frustrate me at times with maybe taking the wrong option or being greedy because he does, but to single him out as the 'main problem' is rubbish.

Maybe if we had a little creativity in midfield or more to the point width on both sides of the pitch like we did when Liddell was fit down the right and Taylor down the left then CD would be able to actually play through the middle where he is at his most dangerous - as he was earlier in the season, instead of having to drop into midfield to pick balls up to make something for himself or stand in the box and rely on the 2 wide players putting quality balls into the box for him and whoever he is playing with, as we tried to do before Liddle got injured.

Sorry - this rant has been building up for weeks now be it sat at games listening to people abuse him (as one bloke did behind me when he came out to do the Strike it Lucky Draw on Tuesday ffs!!!) or read people criticising him on here as if our every problem at the minute is his fault.

Davies finally got a goal!!! Dont drop him now!

until it is mathematically impossible to either go up via playoffs or down....we need to play our strongest line up possible,and use the kids as cover if we have a major attack of injuries.

one there is nothing to play for so to speak,then give the youngsters some first team football,and see what they can or cannot do.

but until then no,dont drop davies,he will score goals,he may infuriate the llife out of you,but i wouldnt drop him.

I think singling Davies out as being the problem because he is selfish is just a tad harsh. Yes he can be - but Hughes is no better, the pair of them are constantly trying to out do the other.

We saw how strikers should link up on Tuesday with Smalley and Allessandra, 90% of the time they knew where each other were and what each other were going to do, the other 10% of the time they would get the ball, heads up and look for each other.

I can't remember the last time Hughes, or Davies actually lifted their head and looked at who might be in a better position when they are going towards goal. Yes all strikers need a certain amount of selfishness but I think they take it a little too far and it isnt benefitting anybody.

People have been very quick to forget that up until the 24th of November when Hughes got his goals at Bournemouth Davies had scored 5 goals in the league and apart from the one at Walsall, everyone had an impact in terms of the points it won for us. The six points those 4 goals gained for us mean we aren't sat 1 place above the relegation zone, where we would have been without them. Back then he was the hero, everbody loved him. All of a sudden Hughes is the big hero and people are on CD's back far far too easily.

I'm not saying he doesn't frustrate me at times with maybe taking the wrong option or being greedy because he does, but to single him out as the 'main problem' is rubbish.

Maybe if we had a little creativity in midfield or more to the point width on both sides of the pitch like we did when Liddell was fit down the right and Taylor down the left then CD would be able to actually play through the middle where he is at his most dangerous - as he was earlier in the season, instead of having to drop into midfield to pick balls up to make something for himself or stand in the box and rely on the 2 wide players putting quality balls into the box for him and whoever he is playing with, as we tried to do before Liddle got injured.

Sorry - this rant has been building up for weeks now be it sat at games listening to people abuse him (as one bloke did behind me when he came out to do the Strike it Lucky Draw on Tuesday ffs!!!) or read people criticising him on here as if our every problem at the minute is his fault.

Well said!! I think the win against Carlisle was mainly down to Jarrett coming into the team rather than Davies not being there

Well said!! I think the win against Carlisle was mainly down to Jarrett coming into the team rather than Davies not being there

Yeah possibly. I also think the fact that half of the players on the pitch last Tuesday had probably played some part of the all conquering youth team over the last few years and knew each others games very well.

Yes Davies was missing, but so was Hughes - the first time all season that neither of them has played and we turn in our best home performance by a country mile.

However until they are both allowed to play in their preferred positions ie: through the middle and not have to worry about where the supply is going to come from and keep going looking for it I don't think we'll see the best of either of them.

Also - note the point above about Davies only being 22 and having to shoulder a lot of responsibility - he's only 2 years older than Smalley with not too much experience behind him either. Maybe time to just back off and let him develop too. He's got the making of a fine striker for our club so let's not end up ruining him and / or hounding him out like we have done to a fair few over the years.

In tonight's rarely wrong Chron:

Shez looks for Davies lift-off

by MICHAEL YARWOOD

ATHLETIC manager John Sheridan was able to take a major positive from his team’s weekend defeat at Swansea as Craig Davies made a welcome return to the scoresheet.

Davies (22) lashed in a penalty to notch his first goal in 12 appearances and cap a lively individiual display.

Sheridan is hoping the lift in morale will see his 11-goal leading scorer hit top form, particularly with Lee Hughes sidelined through injury.

Davies and full-back Neal Eardley have now linked up with the Wales squad ahead of Wednesday night’s friendly at home to Norway.

Sheridan said: “The goal is a boost for Craig, and I’m pleased for him because he hadn’t scored for a while.

“Hopefully he will kick on from here and keep listening to the people around him because there are a lot of things he needs to learn.

“He needs to think about where he will score his goals because he gets into too many positions where that isn’t going to happen.

“He’s still a kid, but he’s a striker so I would prefer to see him spend more time in the penalty area.

“Getting into the Wales squad is good for him as well because he’ll be working with experienced coaches and training with good players.

“He’s a frustrating player who needs to learn about playing simple football, but if he wants it he has got the ability.

“You get found out if you don’t take care of the ball, especially at international level, so hopefully he will work on that.

“It’s a big step up from our level to international football, but the experience will do him no harm at all.”

Davies, already with four Wales caps, had a new strike partner at Swansea as Athletic gave a full debut to youngster Lewis Alessandra.

The former trainee, who celebrates his 19th birthday later this week, had impressed as a substitute in the previous game against Carlisle.

Sheridan added: “I thought Lewis deserved a starting place because the kid did quite well the other night.

“It was very harsh on Deane Smalley to be left out and I told him he was unlucky, but I’m sure they will both get their chances.”

If i was Sheridan I'd pick the two players who are most likely to score/set up goals against a given opposition. If the opposition have two big but not quick players at the back I'd pick Davies and Hughes (and this would be my first choice strike partnership). Lewis or Deano would play if either one is injured (Deano would play for me as an extra winger but that's by the by) or if the strike partnership isn't working or to shake things up slightly if the opposition are looking like being able to handle Davies and Hughes. I remember last season we played Porter and Hall for the last 30 mins against Orient i think and Porter who hadn't had a kick all game suddenly looked dangerous as their best centre half went to mark Hall for the ball in the air. Hall beat him more times than not and Porter was able to latch on to the knock downs by out pacing the other centre half. I think its important to consider that OK sometimes Davies doesn't score or do a lot but could that be because he is being marked by the better centre half leaving the other striker against weaker opposition.

anyone could av scorded a pen! i believe he played on the wing again good position for a striker!!!!!!! cant undertand why he does that has shez asked him to play out wide?

Shez spends most games telling Davies stay in the middle, and telling Taylor to attack the back post when the ball is coming in from the right, constantly repeating himself for 90mins game after game. It's no wonder he's a grumpy :censored: most of the time!!

I didn't go to Swansea but i've been told Shez did pull him out wide later in the game as he was getting wound up by one of the centre halfs

Edited by Gemma06

anyone could av scorded a pen! i believe he played on the wing again good position for a striker!!!!!!! cant undertand why he does that has shez asked him to play out wide?

Yep played most of the game out on the wing, I hope the instruction direct from Shez is to play out wide becuase if this is not the case then he clearly does not listen to instructions... Saying that I cant believe Shez tells him to go out wide so much!!! The only time I saw him in the box was for the penalty and thats not good enough for a striker...

I agree about his potential, he has so much going for him but the fact that he does not seem to listen is a problem.. How long is Shez going to let him have this free role?

Hopefully it will be different next week when we'll have a balanced midfield with Livermore on the left, Jarrett and Allott in the centre and at last Taylor on his favoured right.

With Davies and Smalley/Allesandra up front I think there's plenty of goals to come. Looking at the fixtures we've played all the big boys now and apart from perhaps Doncaster away all the other fixtures are winnable.

Tranmere have shown that three or four wins can get you up into the playoff area, the season's definitely not over yet!!

Toughy for me. I'd like to keep faith in him, so for me he'd get the next 2/3 games. However, saying that, after he got the goal on Saturday, he actually went back to his 'I-can't-be-bothered' mode for short periods, which was irritating.

But, hopefully, the goal will lighten up his mind, so he's not constantly thinking about needing a goal. Let's hope he can find his form, which brought about a tidy 10 goals before December.

Anyone could have scored a pen? Ask Pearce, Waddell, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard etc. That was a very good penalty firmly struck daisy cutter which was very near the corner even if the keeper had gone the right way (which i think is part of the battle when taking penalties) i'm not so sure he'd have saved it.

Shez spends most games telling Davies stay in the middle, and telling Taylor to attack the back post when the ball is coming in from the right, constantly repeating himself for 90mins game after game. It's no wonder he's a grumpy :censored: most of the time!!

Shez says "Getting into the Wales squad is good for him as well because he’ll be working with experienced coaches and training with good players".

Perhaps he'll listen and learn from the international coaches....................if he understands Welsh. :grin:

Achos dduw s fwyn cadw onside!

Davies does not have a footballing brain, and unfortunately it's something that can't be taught. If Shez keeps playing this 4 3 3 then Davies is playing where he's told to play out wide to pull the defence apart. Unfortuntely for him he doesn't realise when he must get into the box. He constantly makes the wrong decisions, and I'm sure it's in his head the Hughes is catching him up in goals scored, and won't pass to him when he's in a better position because of that. Someone said lower down the thread that we would only be just above the drop zone without his goals. On the other hand we may be in the top six if he had passed to players in better positions. He also seems to be a player who needs confidence, and the crowd shouting his name will help him a lot. So lets hear it next game.