Proud of your town?

From the Manchester Evening News (Full article >here<)

Mike Keegan

11/ 2/2008

OLDHAM is a backward-looking town where people are tightfisted and outsiders are not welcome, says a new report - comissioned by its own town hall.

A `perceived lack of progress' in regenerating Oldham which holds it back and feeds its `sense of injustice at being let down and passed by';

A lack of `leisure and cultural amenities in the town' which is `a major negative';

Council and Labour group leader David Jones described the findings as `a wake up call'.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Manchester Evening News (Full article >here<)

Mike Keegan

11/ 2/2008

OLDHAM is a backward-looking town where people are tightfisted and outsiders are not welcome, says a new report - comissioned by its own town hall.

A `perceived lack of progress' in regenerating Oldham which holds it back and feeds its `sense of injustice at being let down and passed by';

A lack of `leisure and cultural amenities in the town' which is `a major negative';

Council and Labour group leader David Jones described the findings as `a wake up call'.

Surely he means another wake up call, apparently having forgotten all those 'wake up' emails sent to him and his fellow Councillors by supporters of the BP redevelopment plans. :angry:

I've lived in Sheffield, Huddersfield, Leeds and Bradford before moving back to Oldham and can honestly say that there is little difference between any of them. All northern market towns have aggressive nightspots, but you don't have to go to them. For some reason though, Oldham seems to have a problem with itself with its population disliking the place more than anywhere else.

It’s only saying what we all know really. I felt that a lot of the anger surrounding the rejection of our planning application stemmed from the fact that it would have been one positive thing in a sea of crap. The last thing that will help though is the bloody council pissing tens of thousands away on stupid rebranding exercises. They need to stop getting in the way of private businesses, not try and fix everything themselves with the resulting years of committees, backscratching and high taxation. I have to agree with Slurms though, it's not the only town that could answer to that description, is there a town centre in the country that doesn't have people throwing up over coppers and having fights of a weekend?

I've lived in Sheffield, Huddersfield, Leeds and Bradford before moving back to Oldham and can honestly say that there is little difference between any of them. All northern market towns have aggressive nightspots, but you don't have to go to them. For some reason though, Oldham seems to have a problem with itself with its population disliking the place more than anywhere else.

Fair point, but are any of the towns mentioned in the same position as Oldham in not having a cinema or bowling alley or similar for people without transport to have an enjoyable evening out?

I do not know the answer to this question so it may well be that they are.

I'd agree with that. I used to live in Preston and that was pretty bad at the weekend though there is little much else to do in the borough with lack of other ameneties. THe council have got a great chance to get Oldham on the map with a certain redevolpment on the border of Royton, Oldham and Chadderton.

I think the difference with Oldham and other towns is the race riots.... The town took a beating and the preception of Oldham was destroyed. Very few people outside of Oldham understand what went on during the riots and the reasons behind it. They just see Oldham as a place full of racists. You say to people where you come from and one of the first words is usally race riots. Couple this with all the usal problems facing a working class town and its hard to feel proud.

Just one of the few reasons why people arent proud....

I think the difference with Oldham and other towns is the race riots.... The town took a beating and the preception of Oldham was destroyed. Very few people outside of Oldham understand what went on during the riots and the reasons behind it. They just see Oldham as a place full of racists. You say to people where you come from and one of the first words is usally race riots. Couple this with all the usal problems facing a working class town and its hard to feel proud.

Just one of the few reasons why people arent proud....

im proud of where i was born(boundry park)

and im proud to come from oldham,but i dont have to like it as a town though do i.

the council has neglected the borough for decades,not just recently,and only have themself to blame for what has been an excercise of asset stripping.

the old town hall has fallen into such disrepair that before too long they will try to say its best we demolish it rather than spend thousands of tax payers money repairing it.

just like is happening in chadderton with the swimming baths and the new library.

and yes people did flock in there thousands to buy stuff from tommyfield market,but the council killed it off,bury markets is just as big as oldhams,but bury have got behind it and are extremely proud of it,and it is used to bring people and buisness into the town in general.

the town hasnt moved with the times,and the facilities have just decayed away,with people just accepting that this is the norm for the town.

winston churchill would turn in his grave at the sight of the town these days.

im proud of where i was born(boundry park)

and im proud to come from oldham,but i dont have to like it as a town though do i.

the council has neglected the borough for decades,not just recently,and only have themself to blame for what has been an excercise of asset stripping.

the old town hall has fallen into such disrepair that before too long they will try to say its best we demolish it rather than spend thousands of tax payers money repairing it.

just like is happening in chadderton with the swimming baths and the new library.

and yes people did flock in there thousands to buy stuff from tommyfield market,but the council killed it off,bury markets is just as big as oldhams,but bury have got behind it and are extremely proud of it,and it is used to bring people and buisness into the town in general.

the town hasnt moved with the times,and the facilities have just decayed away,with people just accepting that this is the norm for the town.

winston churchill would turn in his grave at the sight of the town these days.

I like the way nothing was mentioned about our Asian friends...... Now why is that?

I like the way nothing was mentioned about our Asian friends...... Now why is that?

What have the Asian Community got to do with it, they are just as much a part of the town as any other resident.

Or are you trying to provoke something with that leading comment????

What have the Asian Community got to do with it, they are just as much a part of the town as any other resident.

Or are you trying to provoke something with that leading comment????

Probably, so don't rise to it Amo. We'll keep an eye on it...

I must admit im not proud of this town - i used to love it but then i took the rose tinted glasses off.

Nightlife is the same anywhere. i must admit when i go out in huddersfield i see far less trouble than I do in Oldham (but thats probably luck of the draw)

Oldham itself has been going down hill for years:

It has a shopping centre with a lot of empty units.

As mentioned no lesiure faiclitis

A flagship sports centre that is a dump

Possibly the most stupid bus station design in the north of England

The race riots have destroyed the image of the town in many peoples eyes

The whole area is becoming infested with chav scum u see it everywhere u look.

The football club is about the only good thing in this town and yet the bloody council would rather us go to the wall

To be truthful its the same as most towns in England. The problem is the fact that the council seem unwilling to invest in genrally making it a nice place to live. They decide to put new tarmac on roads when theres no point. We need a some more lesire activties.There are worst places

Edited by spadam

The council barely has any money to miss manage. Most of the borough is on some kind of benefit - its no surprise there has been no inestment but the town is going right down hill fast and i can only see it getting worse unless a raft of jobs are created somewhere and i just cant see that happening - even with the proposed development at latics

Guest oa_exile

At this point I need to step in.

The post is "Proud of your town?, Oldhamers don't like Oldham!!" , this is now swaying way off topic with discussions of the "Race Riots" and who started it and why.

Lets get it back on Topic or I will close this thread.

Note: Topic Split into two

"Proud of your town?, Oldhamers don't like Oldham!!" - Stays Here.

For more discussion on the Race Riots please >>Click Here<<

Edited by sheridans_world
Topic Split into two

Its all very well us saying what we dont like about our town, or what we want. Its all very well to stand and say its all the councils fault, but we cant just sit back and moan unless we have actually turned around and tried changing things ourself. yes, i agree its partly down to the council for mismanagement over the years, but we could have an impact if something was to be organised properly. we showed on the march strength in numbers worked, there is enough of us on here to get something started and then others from across the borough would follow us.

Its all very well blaming others, but what have you done? Time to act!!

Guest sheridans_world
Its all very well us saying what we dont like about our town, or what we want. Its all very well to stand and say its all the councils fault, but we cant just sit back and moan unless we have actually turned around and tried changing things ourself. yes, i agree its partly down to the council for mismanagement over the years, but we could have an impact if something was to be organised properly. we showed on the march strength in numbers worked, there is enough of us on here to get something started and then others from across the borough would follow us.

Its all very well blaming others, but what have you done? Time to act!!

I would like to raise my hand here.

The march that took place in November shows the support this football club has.

This town was stopping this football club develop.

This football club put pressure on this town.

The town relented and this football club lives on.

People will do something when they are gathered and organised. Most people cant be bothered anyway but when its something they feel passionatley about, they will act. They will walk a couple of hundred yards down a road with flags and banners to make a point.

The fact is, people are doing things, they either dont have enough support or interest or they dont publicise their actions well-enough.

The council barely has any money to miss manage. Most of the borough is on some kind of benefit - its no surprise there has been no inestment but the town is going right down hill fast and i can only see it getting worse unless a raft of jobs are created somewhere and i just cant see that happening - even with the proposed development at latics

Hang on a minute bluehobbit, "most of the borough is on some kind of benefit".........Oldham may well have a larger percentage of people claiming benefits than some of it's comparably sized towns but it can't be much higher than much of Tameside, Rochdale and other neighbouring boroughs. Indeed much of the borough is, on the whole, reasonably affluent.

The local council doesn't pay people benefits - central gevernment does, so I fail to see the direct correlation. Ok, I'll concede that the number of people on benefits in the town may have a knock on effect in relation to lower rates of council tax being collected etc, but I still can't see how that puts us in any worse a position that any of our neighbouring boroughs.

However, the statement about the council barely having any money to mismanage being suggested as a reason for the steady decline in the town is the bit I can't understand. Oldham council have continually turned down outside investment - M&S and IKEA being 2 prime examples. This has led to a downturn in flagship stores/eateries etc wanting to invest in the town - particularly the town centre. For example, why would a big restaurant chain like Frankie and Benny's or Pizza Express or similar, want to invvest money into a town centre which has few of the other 'brands' likely to drag consumers to it's doorstep?

If the council had granted permission for these 2 stores (and probably countless other schemes) where there was outside investment coming into the borough, they would undoubtedly have led to other developments leading to economic growth.

How can a town of over 200,000 people not have a cinema? A bowling alley? Decent town centre eateries (well I suppose we've got Mc:censored:ties). A bloody town centre toy shop for goodness sake (remember toy 'n' hobby?! )! All these things might encourage more money/investment into the town.

I grew up in the seventies and early eighties and remember thinking at the time that Oldham was quite a nice town. Not brilliant but not bad all the same. It's been in decline since then due to poor local government making decisions which on the whole have not been in the whole boroughs interest.

Edited by danoafc

Over 90% of money local governments spend is raised from central taxation, so the wealth of the area isn't much of a factor in their budget. That IMO is part of the problems with local government IMO, they may as well spend everything they can because most of it doesn't come from their voters, there's no real point in standing on a policy of leaving people to spend their own money, which I think most of us could do better than a councillor can do it for us.