Having read this thread it should be noted that Chris Taylor was awarded MOM in the Sponsors Lounge last night, honestly.

To be fair he was as red as a beetroot when he was given his bottle of bubbly. He was clearly embarrased with the performance and gutted with the result, said it was a massive blow in the play off chase. Said Shez had absolutley bollocked them, him included.......before he admitted that I was going to bollock him!

Whilst not agreeing to tackles of that nature, apart from Allott do we really have anyone else putting their foot in aggressively enough - i think not.

One of the things that struck me last night is exactly this....and the yellow cards stats support it. In the last 7 games we've had 1 yellow card. Whereas, before then, we were getting stuck in and picking up cards but decent results too

(even when we were still struggling at home but deserving of a win...ala Luton, Brighton, Donny etc.) We're definitely too soft in the tackle at times and I can't see it being Shez telling them to tone it down....so the players need to stand up and be counted more. I'll accept a couple more bookings if we show more grit and determination.

Having read this thread it should be noted that Chris Taylor was awarded MOM in the Sponsors Lounge last night, honestly.

To be fair he was as red as a beetroot when he was given his bottle of bubbly. He was clearly embarrased with the performance and gutted with the result, said it was a massive blow in the play off chase. Said Shez had absolutley bollocked them, him included.......before he admitted that I was going to bollock him!

not being funny stitch - put although i raise a glass to the sponsors for pumping money in - i cant remember the last time they ever got one right

How about this .........................

How many times last night was Taylor stood in space and never got passed the ball ..... I lost count. When he does get passed the ball its usually a cross field ball to the full back (lomax last night) thus allowing two men to move in and mark him (lomax last night), he then receives a pass when the defenders are sure favourates to win.

Lucky with that poor tackle ..... brought out of frustration ????????????

not being funny stitch - put although i raise a glass to the sponsors for pumping money in - i cant remember the last time they ever got one right

I have a confession to make.

I remember one dark day a few years ago. My mate was sales manager at an Oldham car dealership, and invited me along when they sponsored a match. I can't remember the year, but it was a Tuesday evening game against Wigan that I think we lost 3-2. Adrian Littlejohn was out only vaguely decent player, and duly won man of the match every single time. When it came to the decision, it transpires I'm the only one interested enough to have actually paid any attention at all to the game... so they ask me who they should pick. Being mildly inebriated, and not wanting to make the obvious choice yet again (Littlejohn was our only ray of hope in an otherwise poor display), I awarded man of the match to Andy Holt. Mainly on the basis that he tried his best down the left and did nothing wrong at all in the last half hour (having been subbed).

Unsurprisingly, the award was roundly booed by the BP faithful on the other side of the glass, and poor Holty was completely embarrassed when he came up to receive his award.

Erm. Sorry. What more can I say?

I've got me coat... :getmecoat:

I have a confession to make.

I awarded man of the match to Andy Holt. Mainly on the basis that he tried his best down the left and did nothing wrong at all in the last half hour (having been subbed).

We did the same when me and my Dad were invited to the sponsors of a midweeker against Brentford which we lost 0-2 (just after Ronnie Moore took over. Absolutely dour game so we picked Dean Holden purely because he was the only player who didn't do anything wrong really, everyone else was completely woeful. That got boos and grumbles from the crowd too.

Said Shez had absolutley bollocked them, him included.......before he admitted that I was going to bollock him!

That's refreshing to hear, I'd like to thing Shez has the players' respect.

Incredible comment to make after your comments about Wolfenden getting his run in the side, yesterday!

My point was that we don't know if a player will be good enough unless he gets the chance. I'm not saying Wolfy is or will be a star striker, but there's only one way to find out.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

I can't remember the year, but it was a Tuesday evening game against Wigan that I think we lost 3-2.

Was that possibly the Friday night match, not Tuesday night match? 1998/99......I'd come back from Uni that afternoon for the game and left with minutes to go at 3-1 down (we were dire and it's the only time I've ever voluntarily left a game early as I wanted to catch the bus and spend time with the-then missus)...Paul Reid scored as I was walking up Sheepfoot Lane.

No he wasn't.

He ran around quite alot, had two or three useful touches, nearly crippled somebody, and generally looked like he didn't have the faintest clue what he was doing.

If Crossley and Allott were our two best, Alessandra was third.

Edited by garcon

That's refreshing to hear, I'd like to thing Shez has the players' respect.

]

From the looks that some of the players were shooting in Sheridans direction. I don't believe he has the respect of many of the players at all. Even Crossley was questioning his tactics at one point.

Edited by happyterryb

Does MOST over rated mean then " a first good full season full of promise - yet managers/defenders smarten up on him in the second season, therefore making it tougher for him to have the same impact?" oh and "doing this whilst playing on his least natural side?"

It doesn't mean anything of the sort FB.

Personally I don't think managers or defenders have to smarten up on him, he does the work for them by standing around twiddling his thumbs looking like some agoraphobic dimwit. He seems to be scared of the swathes of open spaces that often present themselves in front of him, when in reality he should be bombing onto the shoulder of the last defender and not give the right sided midfielder a chance of getting anywhere near him.

As for over rated, well there are many at BP who won't have a bad word said about him, it is almost as if he is above critisism as he is a Latics fan. I don't have a vendetta against him, I just think he is crap. Many others don't see it that way though - and they have a right to their opinion as much as I have the right to mine. We just don't see it the same way.

I would like nothing other than to see the lad make me eat my critical words by turning on blinder after blinder, he hasn't gotten anywhere even close to his debut performance yet in my book (go on he played on the right that day, blah, blah, blah). We have heard every excuse in the book for this lad this season and at his very best he has been very ordinary. I really don't see why people rate him above, say, an Andy Liddell who I think is an exceptional footballer at this level.

Still horses for courses eh? Some see a ginger wizard, I see a crap footballer. It would be boring if we all thought the same.

KtF,

Derek.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968

I wouldn't go as far as saying he is crap Derek,maybe naive in the extreme but some of the points you make are justified! i don't have a problem with him being on the left if,like you say he uses the space in front of him rather than running up his own bottom.

As for Liddell,spot on there,he is far and away the best footballer at the club.

My problem with Taylor is that he appears to always want to run from deep. Many a time I've shouted at him to get the :censored: forward. Tuesday was a case in point. We were pushing, yet he's hanging around half way inside their half, hoping to get the ball and run, trying to beat 5 men before doing anything threatening. Can't understand why he doesn't get forward, pushing their defence deeper and deeper, and give us an option to play him in near the byline.

My problem with Taylor is that he appears to always want to run from deep. Many a time I've shouted at him to get the :censored: forward. Tuesday was a case in point. We were pushing, yet he's hanging around half way inside their half, hoping to get the ball and run, trying to beat 5 men before doing anything threatening. Can't understand why he doesn't get forward, pushing their defence deeper and deeper, and give us an option to play him in near the byline.

Because he can't use his left foot. He wants to come in on his right and can only do that from deep.

People can say what they want about his ability, good or bad, but we won't know until we stick him on the right for a season or so. I honestly can't see what Sheridan is trying to achieve with his continual mis-positioning.

Because he can't use his left foot. He wants to come in on his right and can only do that from deep.

People can say what they want about his ability, good or bad, but we won't know until we stick him on the right for a season or so. I honestly can't see what Sheridan is trying to achieve with his continual mis-positioning.

He genuinely believes it is the best position for him. Said at a few of the forums now when questioned as to why he can't be given a run on the right.

He genuinely believes it is the best position for him. Said at a few of the forums now when questioned as to why he can't be given a run on the right.

And when he's said it, he's done so in a very defensive "why are you questioning that decision of mine" manner. Thus, backing himself into a corner. He's slowly coming out of it though, with the token gesture that he might give him a try on the right. Only slowly though....maybe once Livermore is fit (if ever again with us) he'll put him on the right again. One hopes.