Young player of the year

now am not sure if anybody has posted about this 1 yet and if they have then i do apologise but i just voted today and was thinkin i wonder who people voted for.

i voted for deane smalley because he bribed me if am honest. no to be honest the guy has worked hard all season, its been a tough season for him and i think hes found it hard, but just look at the games the lad has come through leeds away he got brought on into a tough game and he had the game of his life. then he went to everton full of confidence and once again he proved to everybody what kind of player he could be on his day.

if only he could have bagged a few i think the crowd would have taken to him, but he knows this season the fans wont be to hard on him apart from the obvious ones in the main stand, but next season he has to pick his game up lose his nerves and prove what a player he is.

i'd give it to lomax. the lad has really impressed me this season even though he is playing out of position in my opinion

I have given it Alessandra as i think he has slotted in the most comfortably out of all the youngsters.....probably would have given it to Lomax if he had featured a bit more but that isnt really his fault more Sheridans....

i'd give it to lomax. the lad has really impressed me this season even though he is playing out of position in my opinion

I'd go with Alessandra, a breath of fresh air.

Whilst Deano has done well at times, but Lewis has hardly had a poor game.

Kelvin has done nothing much wrong either when stepping in though.

Very difficult to split them up. Alessandra for me has been brilliant, Smalley has had some good games too. I'm going to go with Lomax though. I know he's a bit older than the two mentioned but he's done very well. Plays in the wrong position and has been pretty much spot on every game.

Wait till he gets a go at right back, his proper position :)

The thread below suggests that no one is thinking about Eardley. His passing/distribution has been a weakness this season, but his committment, effort, energy and work rate have been excellant. He is only 19 and has had the captaincy thrust upon him. He has also played a lot more than any other youngster - Alees and Lomax have only played a small number of games. I also think he has suffered a little from second season syndrome, something that many young players struggle from. He gets my vote for sheer professionalism and hard graft over an entire season.

I was wondering if the top scorer or the 19 year old captain and full international would get a look in... It does go to show how far some of the young players have come, like those two and Taylor, that they are being overlooked as newcomers. For me Lomax hasn’t played enough games to justify the award, regardless of the reasons he wasn’t selected and I’m not going to vote on sympathy or how he might have done if he was picked. If we are going for a really new newcomer it would be Smalley, as he has had more of an impact on the big games this season than Alessandra.

I was wondering if the top scorer or the 19 year old captain and full international would get a look in... It does go to show how far some of the young players have come, like those two and Taylor, that they are being overlooked as newcomers. For me Lomax hasn’t played enough games to justify the award, regardless of the reasons he wasn’t selected and I’m not going to vote on sympathy or how he might have done if he was picked. If we are going for a really new newcomer it would be Smalley, as he has had more of an impact on the big games this season than Alessandra.

Eardley and Davies have been far better than Alessandra this season as they have contributed for nearly every game this year. Lewis can wait till next season when he has played more than a few games

Eardley, people are quick to moan about his passing and his distribution BUT defensively he's neat and tidy. He rarely plays the ball into danger and when in doubt he hoofs it out instead of trying to be clever. He's always making forward runs down the right and granted 8 out of 10 crosses will be end up over the net for a goal kick, but two of them set up a goal scoring opportunity if our forwards are sharp enough. Eardley will improve on his passing/attacking play but at the moment his defending is top notch. I'd like to keep Eardley for next season and he gets my vote for young player of the year.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

The thread below suggests that no one is thinking about Eardley. His passing/distribution has been a weakness this season, but his committment, effort, energy and work rate have been excellant. He is only 19 and has had the captaincy thrust upon him. He has also played a lot more than any other youngster - Alees and Lomax have only played a small number of games. I also think he has suffered a little from second season syndrome, something that many young players struggle from. He gets my vote for sheer professionalism and hard graft over an entire season.

Eardley for me too, he's had a hard season what with being given the captaincy (a little too early probably) and having no-one playing in front of him for most of the season. He is still only 19 but has played 2 full season, is a regular international now and has been captain for a good chunk of the season, i think people forget how young he still is sometimes

Eardley for me too, he's had a hard season what with being given the captaincy (a little too early probably) and having no-one playing in front of him for most of the season. He is still only 19 but has played 2 full season, is a regular international now and has been captain for a good chunk of the season, i think people forget how young he still is sometimes

For Me, Smalley, Alessandra and Lomax cannot be included, as they have not played a full season. Same with Davies, He might have scored x number of goals by christmas, but it looks like he wont play again this year. A Player of the season should go to someone who has played a high percentage of games throughout the year, and out of our whole squad, only Taylor and Eardley come into this bracket when talking about the youngsters. out of these two i would say Eardley has been the brighter of the two, his distribution needs work but this is partly due to the lack of a right winger.

Eardley for me. Next year will be interesting between Lewis, Dean and Kelvin.

Crossley :grin:

I think if both Lomax and Lewi had played more games id have said one of them .. but my vote goes to Eardley.

Eardley for me, his passing is only poor because he has no bugger in front of him. Looked much better when Deano was there vs Tranmere. Takes balls to take penalties, free-kicks etc and score. A kid captaining older players who at times have let him down by going missing. Wears his heart on his sleeve and even when not playing at his best gives his all.

Lewis Alessandra for me even though he hasn't played the full season, he has come into the first team in difficult circumstances and really made a mark.

I think he is also the best prospect to go much further in the game from the current crop of younger players at the club.

well done latics for having the colin shaw memorial trophy(rest in peace) , as most know col was a youth scout for latics and a very loyal latics fan and colin found lewis alessandra and recommended he have a trail at latics ,and now he is in the first time and scored his first goal for latics and i hope he becomes a top player for us and maybe england ...

Bit of a non-contest, it's got to be Eards as the others haven't really played much. He's good at the back but his distribution is truly woeful.

If we're going to go for a player who's barely played, i.e. Lomax, Deano, Lewis...I'm going to throw Neal Trotman's name into the ring.

Eardley, people are quick to moan about his passing and his distribution BUT defensively he's neat and tidy. He rarely plays the ball into danger and when in doubt he hoofs it out instead of trying to be clever. He's always making forward runs down the right and granted 8 out of 10 crosses will be end up over the net for a goal kick, but two of them set up a goal scoring opportunity if our forwards are sharp enough. Eardley will improve on his passing/attacking play but at the moment his defending is top notch. I'd like to keep Eardley for next season and he gets my vote for young player of the year.

Not Wolfy then? Joke! :wink:

Tough one for me this one....personally though, I don't think I'd class Davies as he's not come through our ranks. In my more traditionalist mind, I thought it was usually a player coming through our own reserves etc.

As it is, all have their merits. I do feel Lewis should miss out just coz he's only been involved for a very small part of the season compared to the rest. Eardley is possible, but just feel he's had the benefit of last season behind him whereas Lomax and Smalley haven't but have been just as good.....and between those two, Smalley's been in for more games and has been major in some of our best moments of this season.....esp Leeds and Everton. So I'm very much learning towards him.....to me, he's been relied on the most heavily where it's not been expected and has been crucial at times.

Will have more of a think though before voting.