So we're pretty much over with this season

oafcprozac

Define this season  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following best sums up your 07/08 experience?

• Success, afterall look at the injuries we've had to contend with AND we won at Leeds at Everton. That'll do fer me!
    • Above Average, Top 10 any season is a good achievement
    • Average, as expected, after losing Wellens and Porter
    • Disappointing - should've been higher
    • Very Disappointing, with the squad we assmbled we should have walked this poor league
    • Catastrophic, we're doomed, burn Shez at the stake etc...

I dont like to make personal attacks on here, well maybe occasionally towards the obvious idiots, but it has got to the point where I have lost all respect for the opinions on football and Latics of those who regularly call for his head without delay. I think they/you are impatient, unreasonble, impossible to please fools.

Absolutely bob-on. I'm a bit fed up reading these boards, with constant "Oooh, release Gregan/Kalala/Thompson etc." (with obvious lack of knowledge to how much it actually costs to do things like this of course) and groundless pessamism purely because they don't know all the stories behind the scenes, just what they read into when they see them on a football pitch every two weeks or what they read off the fishul and here. Shez scratches his nose and straight away a post is on here stating he was holding a burning cross whilst wearing one of those white cloth suits with the pointy hats.

Truthfully, there's only about 4 or 5 posters on here who I pay any sort of attention to any more.

Back on topic a bit. Yup, season over but I guess we really knew that at least 4 or 5 weeks ago. Chance for the yoof to get some valuable first team experience, get our players fit and ready for August and start getting wheels in motion with regards to new signings to strengthen the side and hopefully give us a lot more robustness and consistancy next season.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I starting think there is something strange about the passionate defense of Sheridan on the Board. Critics get hammered and even insulted in such a way as to make it bizarre, but why? I'm beginning to suspect some kind of homo-erotic connection!!!

After 25 years watching latics, despite the 'average' season, i had the best week of my latics watching life - winning at (destroyed) Elland road and Goodison - all in a week. For all of the bad bits - that did it for me this year! And yes that includes our previous years cup runs, beating sheff wed, cup final etc. Two GREAT results within 7 days.

Very average though, but great for the club to see so many youngsters coming through and playing.

And as for those who say crowds are down, football is boring, tactics are bobbins etc, perhaps the majority of those people only remeber these days?!?

blinded success

We were certainly never peoples "second team" in the early/mid 80s where we, or many years before that either!! But fans remained loyal beacause it was THEIR football team - just a thought! ^_^

Edited by futchers briefs

Oh, I get it now! We ignore the first 10 games where we had a tidy looking squad, then we ignore the little things in individual games (Such as the Walsall, Swindon, Luton defeats where we were only awake for 30 minutes, and the Udders cup defeat where we rolled over).

Then we ignore the dire football that we have watched for 70% of the season, and the fact that so many potential loan players have done the "Just got to make a phone call" vanishing act after chatting with Shez.

We also ignore a failure to use transfer windows to our advantage, and disregard all the playoff targets that weren't met, plus no reduction in the number of disciplinary suspensions (Many through dissent).

We can choose to ignore many things in order to manipulate statistics if we want to stick our blinkers on, and then we can turn a a sensible debate into another boring Shez in/out argument if we still don't take those blinkers off.

We can also then 'lose all respect for the opinions on football' of people who see it differently, and we can label those people idiots and impatient, unreasonable impossible to please fools.

Once we have managed this we have abundant optimism, and we are all delighted with the way the season has gone, so we might as well shut all the message boards down because Latics' stagnation in League One is no longer cause for concern or worth talking about.

I have not stated I want Shez immediately removed, yet I do want to see improvement - I am not a fool as you suggest. I am someone who sees it differently.

The club have advanced impressively in the last 5 years - now it's time for the team to follow suit.

Good sense spoken there.

Home crowds have been as what was expected apart from the extra mid-week games we had to endure thanks to our cup success - even when we have been beaten at BP, we have been unlucky and really gone for it - the CRAP I am used to watching is Owdum, that is the only team I watch - mebbe you are watching too much Premiership footy on telly to think we should be soooo much better!

I watched us struggle for years in the old second division. The first few years under Royle were relegation struggles. But the manner in which we played was not dull. There werealways some cracking matches. It's not a case of 'this is the third division, accept it' or the usual rubbish about the Premiership. You can still play exciting football whatever the level. This has been very boring by any standards. I think you're getting too used to watching crap.

Oh, I get it now! We ignore the first 10 games where we had a tidy looking squad, then we ignore the little things in individual games (Such as the Walsall, Swindon, Luton defeats where we were only awake for 30 minutes, and the Udders cup defeat where we rolled over).

Then we ignore the dire football that we have watched for 70% of the season, and the fact that so many potential loan players have done the "Just got to make a phone call" vanishing act after chatting with Shez.

We also ignore a failure to use transfer windows to our advantage, and disregard all the playoff targets that weren't met, plus no reduction in the number of disciplinary suspensions (Many through dissent).

We can choose to ignore many things in order to manipulate statistics if we want to stick our blinkers on, and then we can turn a a sensible debate into another boring Shez in/out argument if we still don't take those blinkers off.

We can also then 'lose all respect for the opinions on football' of people who see it differently, and we can label those people idiots and impatient, unreasonable impossible to please fools.

Once we have managed this we have abundant optimism, and we are all delighted with the way the season has gone, so we might as well shut all the message boards down because Latics' stagnation in League One is no longer cause for concern or worth talking about.

I have not stated I want Shez immediately removed, yet I do want to see improvement - I am not a fool as you suggest. I am someone who sees it differently.

The club have advanced impressively in the last 5 years - now it's time for the team to follow suit.

I dont consider you a fool - i said those who call for his head without delay are.

Some fair points....but some unfair too. As I said before I was highlighting the reasons for keeping Shez to try and change others opinions. I wasnt suggesting the season was a success. You have highlighted all the bad points, some unfairly, and yet you conclude by saying you would keep him.

Do you disagree with my original post?? I cant decide whether you do or not.

Why would you keep Shez??

I dont consider you a fool - i said those who call for his head without delay are. Some fair points....but some unfair too. As I said before I was highlighting the reasons for keeping Shez to try and change others opinions. I wasnt suggesting the season was a success. You have highlighted all the bad points, some unfairly, and yet you conclude by saying you would keep him.

Do you disagree with my original post?? I cant decide whether you do or not.

Why would you keep Shez??

Sorry, I misunderstood the use of 'You'.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm with the Xmas '08 lot. Shez needs to start 3 new seasons to have been given a fair chance - I am disappointed but realistic, and I understand it takes time and a lot of player shuffling to produce a good team (Big Joe was here 5 years before he tasted the play-offs).

However, it is improvement I want to see, and I have my suspicions that Shez will want to tear the team up and start again next season, rather than show he can motivate and manage what is essentially already a decent squad. We will know by Xmas, and we will see whether it is working - only then will I commit myself to an opinion on his future.

Anyway, this has turned into another in/out debate which is something we don't need, so I'll leave it at that. :wink:

Sorry, I misunderstood the use of 'You'.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm with the Xmas '08 lot. Shez needs to start 3 new seasons to have been given a fair chance - I am disappointed but realistic, and I understand it takes time and a lot of player shuffling to produce a good team (Big Joe was here 5 years before he tasted the play-offs).

However, it is improvement I want to see, and I have my suspicions that Shez will want to tear the team up and start again next season, rather than show he can motivate and manage what is essentially already a decent squad. We will know by Xmas, and we will see whether it is working - only then will I commit myself to an opinion on his future.

Anyway, this has turned into another in/out debate which is something we don't need, so I'll leave it at that. :wink:

Im also in the Xmas 08 lot but then isnt it natural to review a managers performance at such intervals? Like I have said I was merely highlighting Shez positives which I think, for now, comfortably outweigh the negatives. Not least just to avoid chopping and changing, so I too really hope he doesnt have a clear out!

Nice one for discussing it though it seems many cant manage that of late! The fools... :wink:

So after 169 votes so far 73% feel the season has been between "Average, as they expected" and a success, whereas 27% feel it's been between disappointing and catastrophic (1% for that).......

Only a small cross-section obviously but even over that, it's nice to see some reality over this season prevail. It ain't been all that bad folks! :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

I think we have had an average season with expectation being quite high on the back of making the play offs unexpectedly last season.

To be honest people who feel we have had a very disappointing or catastrophic season either have very short memories or haven't been Latics fans for very long.

I can remember many seasons were we didn't have a cup run including winning at Everton or a great win at Leeds, seasons were we spent the entire time in relegation dog fights and literally had to grind any type of result out to avoid the drop.

In that context surely this season where we should finish top 10 and have had a far from normal run of injuries is better than very disappointing.

BB think like myself even those voting disapoininting are frustrated that yet again the division is poor and an exceptional opportunity to escape like Swansea just by showing a degree of consistency, even Carlisle and Donny qualify on that criteria. A bit worried next season might be a tougher division with three or four sides really outshining the rest.

I keep hearing this about the league being a load of rubbish. Just don't buy it......it's a cop out! The top teams are the likes of those who are actually up there. Swansea, Donny, Carlisle, Forest, Tranmere, Leeds, Southend and Brighton fill 8 of the top 9 places. Three were relegated last season and are aiming to bounce back to that level above....1 with huge support and clout. Tranmere, a side I felt would make the playoffs but have suffered injuries nearly as bad as ours. Swansea, Forest and Donny....2 with the support, all 3 with plenty of clout. Carlisle might be the odd one out....but as a club lately, they put together decent sides. Especially, home sides.....winning at their ground is nigh on impossible (they've won 17 from 21 this season at home!)

Those up there are exactly who I expect up there. Consistency is the key to doing well in any division.....not just our division. This division was very high quality in the Dowie playoffs season and then admittedly went awful for a year or two (felt like we were watching non-league stuff at times) but the last couple of seasons, the excuse that it's still a very poor division has been thrown about to compound our so called failures. I don't buy it at all. It's exactly what level 3 of English football should be IMO. And as I say, the side with most consistency will rise to the top.

Oh and next season will be as tough as any other season. Infact, you say it will be harder.....I'll say it could be easier.....Colchester and Scunny will return to their natural level (IMO) and be less of a threat to go back up than Brighton, Southend or Leeds are this season. Of those coming up, can only see MK Scum buying their way up the table. Posh maybe, but think them and whoever else will be like B.Rovers this season. Start well, but run out of steam. Nothing to suggest next season will be tougher at all. Even be interesting to see if Leeds are cutting back a bit and to see if their lot buy ST's for a 2nd time at this level. And if starting on 0 points than -15 will give them the same mentality as the seige mentality they began this season with.

Edited by boundaryblue80

well i think its been an alright season. seen alot of kids progress and to be honest it could have been a hell of alot worse. i remember the 03/04 season where we had lost a hell of alot of players and had loads of youth players in but also had a little bit of experience with the likes of the 2 shez's eyres and murray, and we struggled.

this season weve had more youngans in a team than any other in the league maybe even the football league, i mean look at it, 10 out of 16 players were under 21 today.

these lads have been brilliant.

weve had trotman. a 20 year old youngster who everybody was scared about when he had to be thrown in the deepend and 20 games later hes sold for half a mil was it? brilliant.

then theres lomax, a player who was only released the other season by ronnie moore, got brought back by shez and it proved to be an excellent decision, this guy is brilliant on the ball and hes playing out of position at left back.

then we look to alessandra and smalley. now i no smalley has been had mixed reactions by the fans, but if this lad played to his potential every week i think he could be as good as taylor, if not better. he is alot quicker than taylor.

lewis hasnt played alot but from what i have seen we have somebody special there and with the help and guidance of some players eg liddell and hughes who have been at the top then i believe this lad can go far.

yes ok, i wanted to see us get in the playoffs and maybe we should be there because we have been inconsistant home form did not help and when we got that sorted the away form dropped, but i have seen a special team in my eyes, if they all stay its got the making of a great team all down to shez tommy wright and tony philliskirk who have all played a part in bringin these players through the youth team all the way to the 1st team.

black will be the next player were all talking about aswell, hes got a great future ahead of him.

Agree BB80 except Brighton came down in 05/06. Luton were the other team relegated last year and, for obvious reasons, aren't doing as well as the other relegated teams.

Oh yeah! :grin:

Wow, some of our fans think we've got it bad...you look at Luton and think, now that's a real kick-in-the-nads season! For a 2nd year running!!!