I was just wondering what you lads think of Deano. This season he's played terrible in strike. He missed an equaliser from ONE YARD out and a 5 yard out shot against Tranmere. All together i'd say he's played extremely poor in strike BUT, I do praise him for the amazing runs and the fact he CAN skin a player. I think Shez should have a good look at the team as some players perform a little better in other positions. Like, I think Jarrett would make a brilliant CAM (centre attacking midfielder) and Smalley RW (Right wing). I just think Smalley shouldn't run into unknown territory (i.e. The oppositions box!)

Smalley has certainly looked better out on the wing than anywhere else. To me he can get away without having the bulk that being a striker in this division requires. Add to that his pace and no lack of talent and he looks a decent prospect for the future. The only issue I've seen is whether his head goes down a bit quickly (really not a good thing at BP), but that will hopefully get better with experience.

I was just wondering what you lads think of Deano. This season he's played terrible in strike. He missed an equaliser from ONE YARD out and a 5 yard out shot against Tranmere. All together i'd say he's played extremely poor in strike BUT, I do praise him for the amazing runs and the fact he CAN skin a player. I think Shez should have a good look at the team as some players perform a little better in other positions. Like, I think Jarrett would make a brilliant CAM (centre attacking midfielder) and Smalley RW (Right wing). I just think Smalley shouldn't run into unknown territory (i.e. The oppositions box!)

Smalley does worry me a little. He has all the ability in the world but like Taylor when he first came into the team, is scared of his own shadow and is often guilty of pulling out or not even bothering with challenges that are usually 60 or 70% in his favour. To be a striker you have to put yourself about otherwise you haven't a hope in hell. So in short Deano is a winger, keep him there and i'm sure he'll flourish. Continually, playing him up front could ruin him, the yoofs is one thing but against big nasty League One defenders he's better running at them rather than playing with his back to goal, were he hasn't the brain or the strength.

As for Lewi, he could be the real deal. More often than not puts his efforts on target, that's a sign of a goalscorer and not he's scared of his own shadow.

Edited by oafcprozac

Having played with Deane all through my school life, he is by far a better player recieving the ball and running at players. Even hough he can head a ball he hasnt got the strength for holding some of the bigger defenders in this division although were we to play more through balls Im sure he could be an outlet up front. Id avoid playing him there and he has always been a winger or central midfielder since Ive known him and used to put poo in defenders shorts when running at them with the ball. As for his chances I feel he has just been very unlucky, as was shown when his effort pinged off the bar against Hudds only to hit Jarrett and a defender before going in.

As O Johhny Eyre commented to me a few weeks back, sometimes he does stuff which you think are brilliant and he looks one of our brighter prospects, then 5 minutes later hell do something which makes you think, "How on earth has he made it as a Pro". But I guess that consistency will come with age as will most of the rest of our younger players in the squad.

Tend to agree with the OP, not so much that he's a BAD striker, but that he has been much more effective down the right wing. His sharpness in front of goal will improve with first team experience, but I'd like to see him cement his position on the right wing rather than be used as a utility striker/midfielder.

Smalley doesn't have the close control and skill of Alessandra, but he is devastatingly quick and direct when given a free run down the right.

I know you hear this sort of stuff all the time but a few weeks ago I bumped into someone in a pub who used to play with Dean Smalley as a YTS, he says he's always been a confidence player and on his day he can be a world beater but on others he isn't. I must say I've noticed this a lot with him this season, he came on against Leeds and we probably saw the best of him in that game

Name dropper!!!!!

Think Smalley will do ok in time but then again Tippy played in and outscored Owen in the same team and look how that went! <_<

On that basis Im gonna end up becoming one of the worlds best strikers ,cant wait. And to be honest I have always had problems with my hamstrings aswell. Anyone want an autograph now???

Having played with Deane all through my school life, he is by far a better player recieving the ball and running at players. Even hough he can head a ball he hasnt got the strength for holding some of the bigger defenders in this division although were we to play more through balls Im sure he could be an outlet up front. Id avoid playing him there and he has always been a winger or central midfielder since Ive known him and used to put poo in defenders shorts when running at them with the ball. As for his chances I feel he has just been very unlucky, as was shown when his effort pinged off the bar against Hudds only to hit Jarrett and a defender before going in.

As O Johhny Eyre commented to me a few weeks back, sometimes he does stuff which you think are brilliant and he looks one of our brighter prospects, then 5 minutes later hell do something which makes you think, "How on earth has he made it as a Pro". But I guess that consistency will come with age as will most of the rest of our younger players in the squad.

Absolutely 100% spot on. Infact, that line I've highlighted is one I used a couple of months back when discussing Smalley. The lad will be so, so much better for this season and it's amazed me how he has kept going also when burn out often sets in around this period. So far, in the last two 3-0 away defeats (which I've sadly missed) he's been one of the few shining lights! Got great hope for Deano (and Lewis) and simply for the fact we've relied on him far more heavily this season (than is fair, but needs must) Smalley was my Young player of the season.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Absolutely 100% spot on. Infact, that line I've highlighted is one I used a couple of months back when discussing Smalley. The lad will be so, so much better for this season and it's amazed me how he has kept going also when burn out often sets in around this period. So far, in the last two 3-0 away defeats (which I've sadly missed) he's been one of the few shining lights! Got great hope for Deano (and Lewis) and simply for the fact we've relied on him far more heavily this season (than is fair, but needs must) Smalley was my Young player of the season.

On the wing, Deane can be very very good. Sometimes, he goes past players (experienced pro's) as if they aren't even there, but then other times, he falls over the ball and you wonder what he is playing at. I think next season, both he and Alessandra will be ten times better, because they will be that year older and wiser. Also, with the likes of Gregan and Liddell coming back, that can only help him as they will be on the pitch to offer advice and encourage. Im quietly confident about next season, but I wouldnt be surprised if Smalley and Alessandra only play about 20 games each, as Im sure Sheridan was hoping for this season, but, due to injuries had to play them (Deane in particular) a lot more than he would have liked. Most certainly worth a two year deal though.

I think Dean will end up as an attacking midfielder, he should be capable of both creating and scoring a few from that position and his running would create a lot of problems between the oppo defence and attack. It's far too early to write him off as a goalscorer on the basis of a few chokes, I'm sure they will come.

Smalley has all the quality needed to make it as a pro in time. What I would like to see is him believe that he can be a good footballer I sometimes feel that he just needs to back himself that little bit more and realise what a good player he can be. People didn't like Richie Wellens because they thought he was arrogant the same with Neil Kilkenny I didn't mind that I like to see our players back their own ability. Alot of this will come with age and I think that like BB80 says this season will have done him good as the experience gained will be vital. The crowd of course can help with this and encourage him he will be the type of player that responds positively to it.

As for Lewi, he could be the real deal. More often than not puts his efforts on target, that's a sign of a goalscorer and not he's scared of his own shadow.

Your right but he is often scared to shoot (for some reason like most Oldham players). He tries to work a ball more often than not but always seems to lose it or a midfielder mops up for him. Brilliant player in general though, he's definetly be leaving for a prem team! :wink:

He's brilliant at getting to the edge of the box Deano it's just when he's there he doesn't have a clue what to do. Just give him the ability to finish and we'll soon be knocking them in!

Your right but he is often scared to shoot (for some reason like most Oldham players). He tries to work a ball more often than not but always seems to lose it or a midfielder mops up for him. Brilliant player in general though, he's definetly be leaving for a prem team! :wink:

He's brilliant at getting to the edge of the box Deano it's just when he's there he doesn't have a clue what to do. Just give him the ability to finish and we'll soon be knocking them in!

I'd say that, that with Lewi is down to the step up. Saw him at Barrow pre-season for about half an hour and he scored a peach from that area rather than working the ball. The reason being a slower defence, more room and quick feet to lose a defender, open up a gap and pick his spot. Probably has the time to do that in the ressies a lot but the pace of the 1st team possibly is something he's still figureing out. In good time, natural instinct will hopefully take over to give him that split second over the defender to create the same gaps to shoot, than laying it off, protecting the ball and just generally loosing it.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I'd say that, that with Lewi is down to the step up. Saw him at Barrow pre-season for about half an hour and he scored a peach from that area rather than working the ball. The reason being a slower defence, more room and quick feet to lose a defender, open up a gap and pick his spot. Probably has the time to do that in the ressies a lot but the pace of the 1st team possibly is something he's still figureing out. In good time, natural instinct will hopefully take over to give him that split second over the defender to create the same gaps to shoot, than laying it off, protecting the ball and just generally loosing it.

I thought both Lewis & Smalley looked really promising players in the home pre-season game vs Sheff Weds - and guessed they'd feature as last 5-10 mins sub's when we 'were comfortable.'

As its turned out - with all the injuries, and the fact that we've never actually been 'comfortable' in any game this season, they've both featured far more times than I (and i guess Shez too) imagined [smalley in particular]

That can only be a good thing really, as the experience gained this season will hopefully stand them in good stead for next term - they'll be a year older, wiser & more battle hardened (a must in this league!)

As for Deano's best position, i think its obvious that he plays best as a right winger - when he's been out there, doing what he does best (running at pace at scared defenders) he looks a real prospect. His ability in the air can't be overlooked from that position either - i've lost count of the times that goal kicks & free kicks are aimed out to our right hand side looking for Smalley to get the beating of short full-backs. He needs a goal, preferably at home, to really raise his self belief, as i think that's a bit of an issue with the lad......one i don't think our young Lewi is lacking in from what i've seen!!!

Next year, with some key additions, and a core basis of the kids (Lomax, Eardley, Taylor, Davis, Lewis, Deano, Black, Bell etc) i think we'll be there or there abouts [hopefully!!!]

What happened to all the 'Smalley is crap' posters that were on here a few weeks ago? do they no longer post on the board, or has Deane proved them wrong?

The lad has improved hugely, and has the makings of a very decent player.

What happened to all the 'Smalley is crap' posters that were on here a few weeks ago? do they no longer post on the board, or has Deane proved them wrong?

The lad has improved hugely, and has the makings of a very decent player.

I think they've got bigger fish to fry at this moment. :)