Director of football

Is anyonelse of the opinion that a director of football would be a waste of time I'm sorry I just can't see this being what we should want particularly now that shez has 2 years experience of management under his belt not to forget another 2 years before that of manageing the youth set up.

The excuse of inexperience for shez can't really be used next year and to be fair he will have to deliver a stronger promotion push. His signing will have to be shrewd we can't sign anyone with an injury record not after this season and when you think that the likes of Crossley Gregan, Hughes, and Liddel if he is still here will all have to be wrapped in cotton wool next year to an extent as I can't see them all lasting a 50 plus game season without injuries then the player behind them will have to be physically fit too.

Not only that but wouldn't a D.O.E somewhat undermine Shez imagine if Royle was to be installed in that role a couple of defeats and you watch the clamour on this message board for Royle to return as manager and the chants of Big fat Joe's blue and white army will return. No sane manager would want that.

Throws it open to the floor

Opinions?

someone said something about a resignation at the club any one heard this? i over heard in the shop so its not really a reliable source but would still like to know if anyone has any info.

as for director of football doesnt that just mean sharing the workload sort of having 2 managers, one who deals with business and one who oversees the training of team/on pitch duties?

I think we've been blinded by this "inexperience" tag that Sheridan has been given. He's now had two seasons at the helm but you have to remember that he was involved in the management set-up for 3+ years under other managers and at youth level.

Let's be honest here, we can make up countless excuses for Sheridan failing this season but perhaps the truth is that he's a coach as opposed to manager.

Last season we achieved a lot more but he inherited players. This season he was able to stamp his own mark on things with funds at his disposal. Admittedly he's brought in one or two capable players but when he was needed to fire his troops or make decisions to strengthen, he's failed pure and simple.

Do we waste another season in this league provided him with another opportunity to succeed?

Yes, we need a seasoned head BUT one with a decent track record of attractive football. Do we compensate with Sheridan's inabilities by bringing in someone above at an extra cost to us or simply replace? Yes. we'll be back to square one and would have chopped and changed again but sometimes it has to be done and the owners hopefully will see this after the frustration of failing again and unable to react accordingly when given funds.

why does every thread have to turn into a should he stay or should he go? the thread's origin was surrounding that of employing a director of football.

there is 20 or 30 threads started daily, yet every one of them turns into the same debate and quite frankly im getting bored of it.

as regards the origional post, i would say stay well clear of a director of football. Shez is the manager and he should have the final word on everything. Directors of football do not work as has been proven in the past at various clubs. I could nigh on guarantee it if one was brought in Shez would be out of a job within the year. be it his choice or the clubs, because too much friction is caused between the two. If you want to bring in an experienced head do it, but not as well as the club manager, instead of. side by side doesnt work.

Edited by philliggi

Do we waste another season in this league provided him with another opportunity to succeed?

Yes, we do.

I'd rather waste another opportunity to succeed under Shez than any other affordable manager, because I'm certain that Shez would do better in his 3rd year with this team than any other manager would in their 1st year with this team.

If promotion is the aim for next year, a new manager won't achieve it.

EDIT: In response to the D.O.F question, I believe the chances are that the D.O.F would cause too much interference and indecision, thus being counter-productive.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Yes, we do.

I'd rather waste another opportunity to succeed under Shez than any other affordable manager, because I'm certain that Shez would do better in his 3rd year with this team than any other manager would in their 1st year with this team.

EDIT: In response to the D.O.F question, I believe the chances are that the D.O.F would cause too much interference and indecision, thus being counter-productive.

I dont think anybody has ever put it better. congrats

Yes, we do.

Spot on.

End DOF

I dont think anybody has ever put it better. congrats

Really, well as I've said exactly the same for the past 2 days on DOF's and why sticking as we are is a necessity, there's no point putting it again on another post about the subject....esp if it's not being read elsewhere. Lol :grin:

Sorry to ask but where has this director of football idea come from?!

Think it has been muted as an idea on other threads as to apparently compensate for shez's in experience if we were to bring in an experienced head instead of sheridan i would give it until october before we are branding said experienced manager a dinosaur

Really, well as I've said exactly the same for the past 2 days on DOF's and why sticking as we are is a necessity, there's no point putting it again on another post about the subject....esp if it's not being read elsewhere. Lol :grin:

Been saying it for the last 2 weeks about the DOF idea. Absolute garbage of the highest order, but like you, I just stopped banging my drum.

Been saying it for the last 2 weeks about the DOF idea. Absolute garbage of the highest order, but like you, I just stopped banging my drum.

Maybe another useless poll could be started about the idea then