Leon Constantine conversation

I am not a stalker and need to get that on the table before telling this story!

Yesterday I had a meeting at the Ramada Hotel in Wetherby. Whilst going into the Gents (the meeting was not in there) I literally bumped into someone who was on the way out. Split second later it realised it was Leon. Now I'd rated him highly when he was on loan, not least for the way he obviously encouraged the younger players around him, and wanted to say thanks for his efforts etc. When I came out he was also obviously in a meeting so didn't want to interrupt. My meeting finished , his hadn't , so made my way back to my car. It was quite clear which Leon's car was (numberplate) so I thought "Sod it, I'll leave him a note". So I stuck one under his windscreen wiper wishing him well etc.

Any way my phone went about 5.15pm. "Hello Peter, this is Leon, thanks for the note".

He was a really nice guy and was happy to chat for a long time. Key points he made;

Absoutely no doubt in his mind that with players like Greegs and Liddell fit we would have walked into the play-offs or better.

Amazed at how good some of the youngsters were and how well they had coped with long spells in the first team whilst still basically learning.

Loved his time at Latics - "I was there a month but it felt that I'd been there all my life". A great atmosphere amongst the players and team spirit.

Told Shez that he'd be happy to come back on loan. As for longer he still had a year on contract at Leeds but Shez knows that he likes Latics.

Liked the supporters. was going to come across to supporters at Swindon after the match and thank them but he was down after the performance and knew the supporters were gutted as well.

Asked about when Davies would be fit again.

Said he was in the squad for Leeds at Millwall but didn't know if he would get an active part.

All in all , a genuine guy and someone who obviously now has an affection for Latics. And someone who puts the nail in the coffin of stories about any disharmony in the playing ranks!

How did he know your telephone number if you were just wishing him all the best, he must have guessed :grin:

Fair play to Leon, not many would make the effort to call you like he did

Work notepaper has my number on!!

Edited by LaticsPete

Guest oa_exile

Nice Story Pete ! :chubb:

Now then ...............

I am not a stalker and need to get that on the table before telling this story!

.........did you 1471 his number ?

........and then..............

"Hello Leon this is Pete" :laught16:

Lol. water off a duck's back.

Shame that some don't like to hear that

a) Latics are held in good respect by players

B) The squad and manager aren't at each other's throats

c) Players do appeciate supporters and have the humility to demonstrate that

Good news isn't always welcome it appears- much better to have the " xxxx is always boozing", "Shez has lost the dressing room", "xxxx is up his own" messages.

Not happy clapping but would it have been a better posting if he'd phoned and said " You *!%**X" how dare you put something on my car". Might have pleased some on here.

Edited by LaticsPete

Lol. water off a duck's back.

Shame that some don't like to hear that

a) Latics are held in good respect by players

B) The squad and manager aren't at each other's throats

c) Players do appeciate supporters and have the humility to demonstrate that

Good news isn't always welcome it appears- much better to have the " xxxx is always boozing", "Shez has lost the dressing room", "xxxx is up his own" messages.

Not happy clapping but would it have been a better posting if he'd phoned and said " You *!%**X" how dare you put something on my car". Might have pleased some on here.

I'm pretty certain that all the replies are just a bit of leg pulling Pete! :wink:

I think it's a nice touch that some players are down to earth enough to do something like that!

Wonder if Ricketts would have done the same thing?! :ph34r:

Turn up at Latic shop weekdays around lunch time - you bump into half the squad!

ace!! i'm on my way.... :lol:

i'll echo the posts on here, well done for taking the time out in the first place to say hello...and pat on the back for leon to have returned the gesture..

these things make your day! i was in the trafford centre a few years ago... was 'treating' the wife to a starbucks when, after being sat down for a while carlo and his family sat next to us and needed some extra chairs.. we'd played posh the night before and he'd taken a crack over his eye and had a bit of a bruiser and a few stitches....

i asked his mrs if he'd not been doing as he was told and she'd give him a 'Le Creuset' over the head? she burst out laughing but carlo needed it explaining.......

about an hour later i'm waiting outside some shoe shop (yeah! been there???) and tony carrs joins the throng of blokes awaiting their mrs satisifying their shoe fetishes...

then on the way out of the centre, up pops one size and his entourage! his ma was totally in awe when she realises her son has become sort of famous after i'd asked him for his autograph!!

all three decent nice blokes who also took the time out to have a natter with a latics fan....

laticspete! i'm also sure they're trying to wind you up!!

remember they're only jealous!!! :lol:

Edited by thetramdriver

That would need to be a pretty big car park... :blink:

It’s like Cllr Bashforth’s nightmare of one person needing the road space for two

Silliness aside, it is good to hear about players having the time to talk to fans. I’d be pretty annoyed at any that didn’t TBH, it’s part of their job for me, they should be able to spare a few minutes of their day after fitting in two hours training, but Leon certainly didn’t need to go to that effort for a club he had a brief loan spell with.

Confirms my thoughts on Leon whilst at BP most encouragement for younger players I have seen from a senior pro. Conducted himself really well. Would love to see him back fit and ready to go. His comments have all been positive and honest.

I agree completely, would love to see him back here. Thought that he was just getting some proper match sharpness towards the end of his spell with us - with a full pre-season behind him he would be a force in this division.

After reading the things in this thread about him, makes it seem more likely that we could have a chance of getting him back.

:grin:

Here's hoping!

Keep the Faith

I agree completely, would love to see him back here. Thought that he was just getting some proper match sharpness towards the end of his spell with us - with a full pre-season behind him he would be a force in this division.

After reading the things in this thread about him, makes it seem more likely that we could have a chance of getting him back.

:grin:

Here's hoping!

Keep the Faith

yeah i hope we can sign him,not sure of his contract though,leeds didnt pay a fee so could offer him more money in wages,depends if he is prepared to cut those and if leeds deem him surplus to requirements