Ernie Cooksey Benefit game. Important Messages of Support.

With Ernies Benefit game on this coming sunday, The trust are sponsoring his programme to ensure that all moneys raised on the day can go towards his Family and treatment.

I think it would be a good idea if us as fans can say a little thank you to him for all the commitment he showed to Latics over that bad year. I'm hoping to get any coments that are posted on here, printed in the programme, so Ernie can see and hear what he meant to a lot of us Tics ...

Ernie 4 England will always be up there as a match chant that we forever make me smile. Thanks for the memories and good luck with your fundraising. You will be in the thoughts of many Tics over the next few months.

Good Luck with the Treatment and keep Fighting it ! - Wardlelatic .

With Ernies Benefit game on this coming sunday, The trust are sponsoring his programme to ensure that all moneys raised on the day can go towards his Family and treatment.

I think it would be a good idea if us as fans can say a little thank you to him for all the commitment he showed to Latics over that bad year. I'm hoping to get any coments that are posted on here, printed in the programme, so Ernie can see and hear what he meant to a lot of us Tics ...

Ernie 4 England will always be up there as a match chant that we forever make me smile. Thanks for the memories and good luck with your fundraising. You will be in the thoughts of many Tics over the next few months.

Good Luck with the Treatment and keep Fighting it ! - Wardlelatic .

for me he was always a very good header of a ball,he had that rodger wylde trademark of seeming to hang in mid air,and always won the header.

he wasnt the quickest player or the most skillfull player we ever had,but he was a tryer and never gave up,what he lacked in skill he made up for with effort and commitment,good luck to you and your family,you be forever remembered with pride from latics fans.

Top idea Wardle.

Showed heart, passion and determination everytime he wore the shirt. He made the fans smile and cheer during a very difficult time for the club on and off the pitch. I'll never forget his equalising header against a top of the table QPR which then inspired us to go on and win the match. Thanks for the memories Ernie, you'll always be a Latics hero. Keep battling on and we sincerely hope you can beat this. - Bring Back Pukka Pies.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Plain And Simple... An Absolute Legend!!! All The Best With Your Treatment. - Michael Luke

Ernie epitomises what football in this country SHOULD be about. To give up a well paid regular job in exchange for less money, but the chance to follow your dream of professional football shows true passion. That, and the way you played with your heart on your sleeve has guarenteed your legendary status for many decades to come. good luck Ernie - Phill Higgins

Ernie, you epitomise everything that it should mean to be a Latic - you played with your heart and your sleeve, and I can't remember a player who showed as much passion and drive on the pitch. There's no doubt in my mind that you will fight against illness with the same resilience as you showed on the football field. Thank you for all the memories you've left us with from such troubling times at Boundary Park - that header against QPR was as cathartic for us as it was brave from you! Ernie For England. - jsslatic Edited by jsslatic

Guest oa_exile

When I first heard the news I sent this message to the Secretary of Grays Athletic on 22/02/08.

I have just heard the dreadful news concerning Ernie.

A player who gave 110% for Oldham Athletic and was a fan's favorite.

Ernie's a proven fighter so let's hope that his latest treatment proves successful.

Please could you pass a message onto him that all the fans of O.A.F.C. are thinking about him at this difficult time.

As our Club motto goes , KEEP THE FAITH ! , get well soon Ernie !

At a time that our club was at it's lowest ebb in my 25 years of support; we needed desperatley a hero that could give us hope.

As the team ran out at Rochdale for the pre-season friendly hardly any of them were recognisable. I feared for what would happen in the up coming season as the game un-folded. But in all of this there was one shining light.

I have never seen such a committed performance by any player in a pre-season game, the phrase 110% was written for you Ernie. I started to think that with more of this in the team, maybe, just maybe we might survive. But this didn't just happen once, it was each and everytime you pulled on the shirt. You are a real hero to us for that.

Best wishes in the battle ahead Ernie, you are a fighter, you gave us hope, and now we will do whatever we can for you.

At a time that our club was at it's lowest ebb in my 25 years of support; we needed desperatley a hero that could give us hope.

As the team ran out at Rochdale for the pre-season friendly hardly any of them were recognisable. I feared for what would happen in the up coming season as the game un-folded. But in all of this there was one shining light.

I have never seen such a committed performance by any player in a pre-season game, the phrase 110% was written for you Ernie. I started to think that with more of this in the team, maybe, just maybe we might survive. But this didn't just happen once, it was each and everytime you pulled on the shirt. You are a real hero to us for that.

Best wishes in the battle ahead Ernie, you are a fighter, you gave us hope, and now we will do whatever we can for you.

Good luck Ernie from us all in Toronto, Canada. Keep the faith

Oldham can be a tough old place to live and that is why we love our tough old players.

We've had Brian Kilcline and Darren Sheridan in years gone by and in recent times I am proud to say "WE HAD ERNIE". Strong as an ox and as fearless as a lion the Boundary Park faithfull eagerly awaited every Ernie challenge.

To wear the famous Latics blue with such pride and passion, as Ernie did in every game, gives every Latics fan a warm glow and for that reason alone he will always be a Latics legend.

Familes stick together through thick and thin and the extended blue family is right behind Ernie every step of the way.

KEEP THE FAITH

Edited by Alan_Groves_Perm

Ernie Cooksey....someone I've referred to as "The Salmon" many times, as I've never seen anyone leap for a header like Ernie could! With heart, fight and determination you must "Keep the faith!" Ernie.....Best wishes.

Absolutely love Ernie and he is a true Latics legend but i just can't put into words what i actually think of him and how gutted i am about this!

Ernie Cooksey - a true fighter in every sense of the word - I am sure you will tackle this illness as you tackled tigerishly in your time with Latics - we are all behind you - we appreciate everything you have done for us - thanks Ernie and keep on fighting!!

Ernie is one of the very few footballers about who you could see playing for your club and think, “That’s how hard I would be trying if I got the chance.” That’s why the fans at all of his clubs are so strongly behind him, which is all that needs to be said about the man. Keep battling Ernie.

Ernie, i will never forget the 1st game I saw you in a Latics shirt at Rochdale. Fans who turned up were wondering who the guy from non league with the baldish head in the midfield was. By the end of the game everybody knew who you were and the chants of 'Ernie for England' were fantastic.

You always gave 110% effort and commitment for the Latics and I thank you for that. :)

Good luck in your fight I'm sure you will again rise to the challenge!

An honest, gritty grafter - not without skill who always played it true and straight - epitomised all thats good about football in times of prima donnas and cheaters. Thanx for the memories Ernie - you are a real sporting star !

Phil.