New away Shirt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carlottie are piss poor.

When we first got kits b carlotti i decided to invest in carlotti kits for my sunday leage team which i run.

We didnt get the kits til half way through the season and even then they didnt have the right shorts or socks and they printed the sponsors wrong.

Took me the full season getting the kit sorted.

Was an absolute joke.

I know we are not Man U and I know we don't have enough room for the required stock in the club shop but surely since this situation happens year on year we could look into our ordering habits. As it seems that what we have in the club shop is on display and we don't keep anything in back as it were. As to the size thing large is a very common size (I'm a large and I'm not huge nor am i small- one too many beers in my time) and anyone who larger than a large will have probably been a large at some point in their time ordering shirt sizes is not rocket science and the club can improve in this area.

Having worked in the rag trade for a while now, can I point out to you that clothing is one of the trickiest industries to merchandise for. You also get by far the highest rate of returns, so through your one-person experience you really come across as if you know it all.

The club can sometimes go on previous rates of sales to order, but you can't always gage popularity, which is a major factor in sourcing a product.

If Hillstone go out of business we are going to look really silly being sponsored by a company that doesn't exist- see Newcastle and Northern Rock.

Now, that's where the crystal ball comes in handy. Silly or not, Hillstones have paid up their sponsorship money, and are entitled to have it emblazoned whether or not they're struggling or even out of business. What next, you can only sponsor a football club shirt if you're in the FTSE top 50 companies or something? In my opinion, any sponsor looks silly on your shirt, but it's part and parcel of football now, and a major contributor to the finances of small clubs.

The club advertises an on-sale date and then proceeds to stick to it a day after we were scheduled to get the stock sounds very silly to me. You find out realistically when the shirt can get to the club and add a few days (probably even waiting until later in a week say friday or a Saturday- as lots of people won't buy their shirt until they can get time off work- i.e. Friday and Saturday) this will give the club time to do a quality control check and allows for any delays. I'd much rather the club said sorry but the kit is of not high enough quality for our fans so we have decided to delay the sale of the kit until the quality is appropiate. As opposed to saying we've sold some shirts but others are defective in some way thus leaving those fans that have bought shirts in a quandary as to whether their shirt is affected or not.

I think you're just bleating for bleating's sake now. It's a rock and a hard place for the club. Lots of other teams new replica kits are already out, so you'd have the same amount of people (strangely, a lot of the same people) who'd be complaining that we're "behind the times with other clubs" and all that.

I think the club have been fair in accepting defective kits and replacing them with unblemished ones.

The whole shirt's a design fault. Bloody awful it is. <_<

Aye. That's true! :grin:

Then again, I think just about all 4 of the designs that you could vote on were pretty bad. Citeh sky blue, a Crystal Palace copy (in which we'd have had loads of problems wearing when playing teams in blue or claret) and another uninspiring black kit again.

It's a bit like voting in the general elections really.

According to the official site some sizes have already sold out from the stock that the shop had whether this is because of the problems mentioned or not is another matter? Yet there was no mention of a withdrawl?

Carlotti defend the material and the company and Club defend their quality control - items will be replaced if concern over quality issues.

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1334157,00.html

This reminds me of the Red and Blue hoops days and the JD Sports letters on the front. They were made of a furry fabric that did not take too kindly to fluff of any kind. White as well, they were a right bastard to keep clean!

Edit: I still have the Home, Away and Goalkeeper shirts from that season. Took them all over with me to Aus. My parents are sending me the yellow one (once they have them back in stock I guess)

Edited by BlueInAus

Having worked in the rag trade for a while now, can I point out to you that clothing is one of the trickiest industries to merchandise for. You also get by far the highest rate of returns, so through your one-person experience you really come across as if you know it all.

The club can sometimes go on previous rates of sales to order, but you can't always gage popularity, which is a major factor in sourcing a product.

Now, that's where the crystal ball comes in handy. Silly or not, Hillstones have paid up their sponsorship money, and are entitled to have it emblazoned whether or not they're struggling or even out of business. What next, you can only sponsor a football club shirt if you're in the FTSE top 50 companies or something? In my opinion, any sponsor looks silly on your shirt, but it's part and parcel of football now, and a major contributor to the finances of small clubs.

I think you're just bleating for bleating's sake now. It's a rock and a hard place for the club. Lots of other teams new replica kits are already out, so you'd have the same amount of people (strangely, a lot of the same people) who'd be complaining that we're "behind the times with other clubs" and all that.

I think the club have been fair in accepting defective kits and replacing them with unblemished ones.

I don't know it all (although I will admit I can be a know-it-all at times) and I know clothing has a lot of returns but a proportion of these are through dishonesty and that may be reduced in a situation like ours (people may not want to support Oldham as much as others but I can't see too many supporters trying to do Oldham out of money). Popularity is not easy to gauge I know but continually under-estimating by so much does seem a bit off to me. I understand that Hillstone's troubles would have needed a crystal ball to predict as very few experts (nevermind lay people) could have predicted the state of the housing markets collapse but maybe its a lesson learnt. It would be nice if we were sponsored by someone local (ish), financially secure and progressing but this is not always going to happen. Sponsorship is a necessary evil of football now and although I would love it if we could afford to have a local chairty on our shirts that is not going to happen unless every club does it and that won't happen. I wasn't aware lots of teams have their replica kits out but then again i haven't exactly looked that info up either and I will concede that some people might have bleated that we are taken ages to get the new kit out if we had delayed too much longer but I'm sure provided it was ready in time for the first competitive game its worn fans wouldn't have minded too much. I for one would much rather have something done right even if it was a bit late than something done on time which was wrong.

The club's customer service is not up for question it is by all reports good (I've never had a problem in my time as a fan so can't comment) the problem is maybe their so good because they have so much practise which is not the way to do things.

Guest oa_exile
I'm actually more shocked that someone has actually washed thier shirt already!

Bloomin eck, mine gets washed about once a season.... and that is only if the Mrs spots it lying around somewhere.... (I do have 3 of the damn home shirts though!)

Dont wash them = no problems! 'appy days!

Coming from the Textile Industry , I have spent most of my working life involved with the manufacture of both fabric and finished garments.

Let me put it this way ....... the first thing i ever do with a purchased garment is wash it before i wear it.

I wont go into why :)

Just looking at some suggestions to replace Carlotti, I have a feeling we won;t have half a dozen kit manufactureres queueing up at the next round of contract negotiaitons.

Could be wrong there, not sure what happens at OAFC, but Stockport had around 5 offering to make the kits, including Nike, Adidas and Puma a few years ago, they opted for Diadora (I thinl, before changing to TFG?) who make some good quality stuff

Not heard of anything at Latics though, maybe we havent got many options.

Best option would be to change to someone a little bigger. More reliable and better quality in both replica's and training n leisure gear.

I will concede that some people might have bleated that we are taken ages to get the new kit out if we had delayed too much longer but I'm sure provided it was ready in time for the first competitive game its worn fans wouldn't have minded too much. I for one would much rather have something done right even if it was a bit late than something done on time which was wrong.

I would have thought most people would like to get hold of a new kit as early as possible in time for their summer holidays and all that, no?

I think it's quite right the club are ordering small quantities. Overstocking is a nightmare and the downfall of many a company. If you overstock, then you have to flog the leftovers cheap which will eat into your overall margin.

The shirt sponsors could and possibly should be a local company, but first and foremost whoever offers the most simply should be on the shirt. It's good to get sentimental about small local but business is business and it's a numbers game, simple as.

Carlotti should probably be replaced after this anyway, but in comparison with Sparta (our last shirt makers) they're a lot better. I buy my nephew kits for his birthday and that, and I've always felt Carlotti were better quality. That said, I've not seen the new one in the flesh so it could concievable be Carlotti have changed the mill where they make kits and have compromised the quality.

My personal preference would be Canturbury. Predominantly a rugby equipment brand, I've always thought their football kits have been decently styled and good quality.

My personal preference would be Canturbury. Predominantly a rugby equipment brand, I've always thought their football kits have been decently styled and good quality.

Agree there, Portsmouths shirts are pretty nice, and can imagine the training stuff is good too.

Guest oa_exile
I think it's quite right the club are ordering small quantities. Overstocking is a nightmare and the downfall of many a company. If you overstock, then you have to flog the leftovers cheap which will eat into your overall margin.

*Cough* You been in the Club shop lately ? Have you seen the amount of the Tangerine (2nd Kit) and Dark Blue shirts (3rd Kit) in stock :shock:

As you say the "Fire Sale" beckons :wink:

*Cough* You been in the Club shop lately ? Have you seen the amount of the Tangerine (2nd Kit) and Dark Blue shirts (3rd Kit) in stock :shock:

As you say the "Fire Sale" beckons :wink:

Which is probably why they've ordered about 10 yellow ones!

Can you let me know when they drop the old ones to a fiver. I'll have one then for mooching about in the house.

Carlotti should probably be replaced after this anyway, but in comparison with Sparta (our last shirt makers) they're a lot better. I buy my nephew kits for his birthday and that, and I've always felt Carlotti were better quality. That said, I've not seen the new one in the flesh so it could concievable be Carlotti have changed the mill where they make kits and have compromised the quality.

Do you remember what I think was the first Kit they made for us - The blue on with a round white collar, with Horners - that bloody shirt would have survived a nuclear blast. Wasnt the most stylish but the quality was a hundred time better than the current shirts (it was also massive - sizes are very different to now).... even the white shirt, and the navy shirt were miles better than the current ones...

Since then carlotti have become the kit manufacturer for loads of clubs - Donny, lashers etc... methinks with the increased volume, quality has massively decreased...

Just looking at some suggestions to replace Carlotti, I have a feeling we won;t have half a dozen kit manufactureres queueing up at the next round of contract negotiaitons.

Well Dale seem to have been able to entice Nike into making their kits, and are able to knock them out at £40, which is exactly what we pay for our scrappy dishcloths!

I can't imagine Dale sell many more (if any) units than we do.

Well Dale seem to have been able to entice Nike into making their kits, and are able to knock them out at £40, which is exactly what we pay for our scrappy dishcloths!

I can't imagine Dale sell many more (if any) units than we do.

I would imagine they make a lesser profit margin and Nike will most probably take a cut in the sales.

I would have thought most people would like to get hold of a new kit as early as possible in time for their summer holidays and all that, no?

The shirt sponsors could and possibly should be a local company, but first and foremost whoever offers the most simply should be on the shirt. It's good to get sentimental about small local but business is business and it's a numbers game, simple as.

I hadn't factored in wearing a football shirt on holiday as its not something I do as they aren't great in hot conditions IMHO, but i will agree that some people do wear them and so it would be nice if we had some stock in before people go away (but the schools break up in a few weeks so perhaps it could have waited a little while longer). I'm well aware that its much better to understock than overstock as you can always order more and getting rid of stuff is hard and not cost effective but I assume the shop could order more on the first order than it appears to be doing as the shirts seem to sell well until xmas (compared to how much stock they have in). I like Canterbury stuff as well and i think they are branching into football having been a predominantely rugby brand for ages (Portsmouth are not the only team they supply). One company a team i played in used was called STASH and I thought their stuff was quite good (including the training and lesuire wear stuff) but they may be much more rugby then football and so not the sort of thing we want.

RE: Fishul site latest on the new kit...

Dont think they're quite listening, i dont have a problem with the material its crap embroidery and the fact it runs in the wash! Nice of them to advertise its selling well think they forgot to mention they have had to send a load back!

Hope the club do chop these cowboys when there contract's up in the meantime i think they should be a little more truthfull as to why there isnt any in the shop!

Edited by Davros

Guest oa_exile
Anything to do with Grant v Australian Knitting Mills [1936] ?? :shock::grin:

Oi ! How would I know <_< I wasnt around in 1936 ......... ask Diego :grin:

I told you already I know about this from 27 years experience int' Textile business :)