I Am Worried

IMO Hughes is the only player in the squad who we couldn't replace with someone of similar quality. We only got him because of the unique circumstances, to get someone that good would cost the level of wages that would either make him way out of our league, or likely to be in the Championship anyway.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So (hypothetically) how much would be a sufficient amount for him to go?

I'd take half a million myself, any less and I'd agree it makes little sense taking an offer at this stage as he is an important player.

But, for the naysayers, there isn't a player at this club that we will refuse at a certain price. If good (richer) teams want them then take what we can I say.

500k for a 32 year old who has been away from football for 3 years and then was injured for 1/2 the time he was back? Who only has 1 years left to run on a contract. He hardly proved he could stay fit.

The facts are he was "away" for a long time and then was injured a lot when he has come back. Is the wrong side of 30, but scored goals when he was fit.

I'd say £100k isn't far off the mark. - but as I put earlier I do want him to stay.

Lets geta left footer in now though!

Edited by pukka

This wont happen... He is happy living here and so are is family there is no way he will uproot them all again and move to Scotland! (Not this season anyway)

I don't post on here very often but I think my last post a few weeks ago said that...

Straight from an ex Latic centre half who is still involved in football in the north west.

Lee Hughes is unsettled after his personal life has not worked out a he'd hoped since his release from prison and he may be looking for another fresh statrt else where.

A touch more detail was given about the personal life bit, and to be honest I believed he knew what he was talking about.

Nobody on this MB will be more pleased if it's utter tosh and he stays.

Witty.

You need to ask Taggart - he's an authority on the subject.

at the end of the day he is only worth what someone is willing to pay....

if he can stay injury free,and its a big if....and gets his shooting boots on and has bagged 15 or so goals come january clubs will be queueing up for him.we took the flack for signing him so the pressure is off other clubs so to speak...

i think the club would take whatever significant fee they could get considering he can walk away next year for nowt....

at the end of the day he is only worth what someone is willing to pay....

if he can stay injury free,and its a big if....and gets his shooting boots on and has bagged 15 or so goals come january clubs will be queueing up for him.we took the flack for signing him so the pressure is off other clubs so to speak...

i think the club would take whatever significant fee they could get considering he can walk away next year for nowt....

I just don't know Ed. If his goals get us promoted then I'm pretty sure he would be with us again next year. That said, I expected Scunny to sink when keough left them, so there are always ways to cope, but it would be hard to replace the best player we've had at the club in the past decade.

I don't post on here very often but I think my last post a few weeks ago said that...

Straight from an ex Latic centre half who is still involved in football in the north west.

Lee Hughes is unsettled after his personal life has not worked out a he'd hoped since his release from prison and he may be looking for another fresh statrt else where.

A touch more detail was given about the personal life bit, and to be honest I believed he knew what he was talking about.

Nobody on this MB will be more pleased if it's utter tosh and he stays.

Witty.

So what ya really saying is that the ex-Latics centre half has told a few others who've all told a friend of a friend etc and it's got to a journo at a dodgy rag.....nice one! Glad we've cleared up where the rumour's originated from :wink:

Hughes isn't going anywhere IMO.

So what ya really saying is that the ex-Latics centre half has told a few others who've all told a friend of a friend etc and it's got to a journo at a dodgy rag.....nice one!

I know this gets really difficult for some. I'm just repeating what as said directly to me by an ex Latic, so dont start. Whether you believe it or not I dont give a flying *&^%.

What the outcome is I have absolutely no idea, and he may well stay, but as I said I hope as much as anybody that he stays.

If you know better than the an ex Latic OK.

I know this gets really difficult for some. I'm just repeating what as said directly to me by an ex Latic, so dont start. Whether you believe it or not I dont give a flying *&^%.

What the outcome is I have absolutely no idea, and he may well stay, but as I said I hope as much as anybody that he stays.

If you know better than the an ex Latic OK.

BB80 is connected you know :wink:

Actually he does have a few useful connections that I know of. What often strikes me about these things is that however good the source, he might still just be wrong. After all, it's not like a player still in the squad would know a quarter of the Managers plans for example. Nothing wrong with passing on what you have heard though, and Witty has been very fair to say that it's only what he heard.

The £100k fee seems extremely low, but I am sure there is some sort of Fifa or EU rule that players over the age of 24 can buy out their contract in order to move. The rule has been quoted in the context of Frank Lampard moving abroad etc, and as we've seen with the likes of Chris Porter, Scotland is abroad. Don't know the facts behind the rule but ....

Wage wise, I think £100k a year sounds about right for a top League One striker for a club with 5,000-6,000 gates.

One year left on his contract - buy it out for £100k.

So the fee quoted comes from the "no smoke without fire" camp.

If Hughes wants to stay or go I really don't know. Whether he is trying to negotiate a contract extension / pay rise with Latics, I don't know.

What I do know is that a fit Lee Hughes is a class above this league, and his injuries may well have been the difference between 8th place and 6th place last season. So from my point of view, I'd like him to stay and I think most on this board would too.

Lee, Boundary Park's the place for you next season. You'll stay fit, score bagloads of goals and be the local hero you need to be.

Edited by opinions4u

The £100k fee seems extremely low, but I am sure there is some sort of Fifa or EU rule that players over the age of 24 can buy out their contract in order to move. The rule has been quoted in the context of Frank Lampard moving abroad etc, and as we've seen with the likes of Chris Porter, Scotland is abroad. Don't know the facts behind the rule but ....

Wage wise, I think £100k a year sounds about right for a top League One striker for a club with 5,000-6,000 gates.

One year left on his contract - buy it out for £100k.

So the fee quoted comes from the "no smoke without fire" camp.

If Hughes wants to stay or go I really don't know. Whether he is trying to negotiate a contract extension / pay rise with Latics, I don't know.

What I do know is that a fit Lee Hughes is a class above this league, and his injuries may well have been the difference between 8th place and 6th place last season. So from my point of view, I'd like him to stay and I think most on this board would too.

Lee, Boundary Park's the place for you next season. You'll stay fit, score bagloads of goals and be the local hero you need to be.

Players over 28 can only buy out their contract after 2 years so it would be up to us to decide what fee to accept (if we wanted to which i very much hope we wouldn't), given that we were happy to let him leave on a free at the end of the season.

I'll second that. He even gave me a head's up about Brian Deane arriving at the club via text message this time last year.

Lol....indeed....the funny thing about that was that did come to me via chinese whispers. A "mate" got info off an officials son at Latics saying "Ex-Leeds, former England international, black player"....and came up with Brian Deane...instead of Micheal Ricketts! Idiot...needless to say, I've not bothered with his rubbish since.