Dale game - TV

Just a thought here, but if the TV people are made aware of the scenario and the way both sets of fans feel about Ernie, and the likelihood of a full house, then they would be much more likely to feature the match. Maybe this could be sorted out and the TV fees donated to his fund and to local charities, for example Kershaws and a Rochdale equivalent? Fans all around the country have picked up on Ernie's story, it would be a much more interesting angle for them to take on the match than some random draw elsewhere.

This was mentioned on the dale board a few week back. Alot of them even emailed sky, etc. No luck it'd seem as TV companies have already chosen their games.

That's a shame. I'm sure the clubs will come up with something anyway, hows about 10,000 people all wearing the same tee shirt?

Just a thought here, but if the TV people are made aware of the scenario and the way both sets of fans feel about Ernie, and the likelihood of a full house, then they would be much more likely to feature the match. Maybe this could be sorted out and the TV fees donated to his fund and to local charities, for example Kershaws and a Rochdale equivalent? Fans all around the country have picked up on Ernie's story, it would be a much more interesting angle for them to take on the match than some random draw elsewhere.

Not been on TV since Hughes signed?? (conspiracy?)

This game should be on in the light of Ernies passing

This game should be on in the light of Ernies passing

Not sure on this one ............ weren't we the first club on cross bar challenge this season? Shame Hughes hadn't joined us yet to be involved :wink:

You may have a point. In December, Hughes scored 8 goals I think and didn't even make Sky's shortlist for player of the month. The 4 candidates up for the award were strikers who had scored between 2 and 5 goals apiece. Nobody could convince me that his omission was anything other than deliberate.

Not related to Latics but have a look back how many times Franchise FC have been shown live in the last couple of years.

Sky have their own private agenda when it comes to showing live games from the lower Leagues which is sad for the many clubs who miss out on extra money.

You may have a point. In December, Hughes scored 8 goals I think and didn't even make Sky's shortlist for player of the month. The 4 candidates up for the award were strikers who had scored between 2 and 5 goals apiece. Nobody could convince me that his omission was anything other than deliberate.

Not related to Latics but have a look back how many times Franchise FC have been shown live in the last couple of years.

Sky have their own private agenda when it comes to showing live games from the lower Leagues which is sad for the many clubs who miss out on extra money.

Totally agree about them having their own agenda. A perfect example is whenever they are at a loose end of faling to decide which Cup Replay or league game to show they use their old failsafe, therefore Brentford are guaranteed at least one game a season. Why? because the studios are round the bloody corner from Griffin Park.

Totally agree about them having their own agenda. A perfect example is whenever they are at a loose end of faling to decide which Cup Replay or league game to show they use their old failsafe, therefore Brentford are guaranteed at least one game a season. Why? because the studios are round the bloody corner from Griffin Park.

I don't think we've done too badly with the TV over the last few years, Thurrock, Chasetown, Spurs, Brentford, Bolton(?) plus featured game vs City and Everton, IIRC. I remember on Rivals some other clubs thought that it was us that had the TV in our pocket.

I don't think we've done too badly with the TV over the last few years, Thurrock, Chasetown, Spurs, Brentford, Bolton(?) plus featured game vs City and Everton, IIRC. I remember on Rivals some other clubs thought that it was us that had the TV in our pocket.

Plus play offs of course.

I'd agree that Latics are probably above the average for League 1/2 clubs appearing on the box in last few years. True it's partly down to the luck of the cup draws but let's not think there's a conspiracy when there isn't.

Inspiral's point about the general paucity of lower league matches is a different one and accurately made. With Setanta covering the conference there's probably more chance of Burton being on the tv than Bury or Bournemouth

Edited by LaticsPete

Don't agree with all this. Sky, like the BBC, have always shown, if possible, for cup games anyway, little team at home vs. big team away. What swings it is who the big team away are. So, the Carling Cup games they're showing are Leeds away, and Birmingham away. There's no agenda...we're not going to draw as big an audience as Leeds or Birmingham are.

When would we have done since Hughesy arrived? Thinking of our cup games...we've had Crewe at home, Doncaster home and away, Everton away (if this was at home we'd have been on), and Huddersfield at home. Hardly games that are going to draw in the viewers for Sky.

The league games are decided on league position normally...so the teams at the top are shown (again, especially Leeds because it pulls viewers in...I think they were on against Crewe and Carlisle last year), Doncaster-Swans was also on. MK were on a couple of times, but they were top of the league practically all year.They're not going to show Oldham/Gillingham are they?

The only agenda Sky have is trying to get as many viewers as possible.

Edited by jsslatic

Id rather it not be on TV tbh. More people coming to the game ... can do our own thing for Ernie without the restrictions Sky would impose etc.

Really? I'd rather the world saw what a player like Ernie meant to a lot of people and that there's more to life than being an overpaid primadonna footballer.

Don't agree with all this. Sky, like the BBC, have always shown, if possible, for cup games anyway, little team at home vs. big team away. What swings it is who the big team away are. So, the Carling Cup games they're showing are Leeds away, and Birmingham away. There's no agenda...we're not going to draw as big an audience as Leeds or Birmingham are.

When would we have done since Hughesy arrived? Thinking of our cup games...we've had Crewe at home, Doncaster home and away, Everton away (if this was at home we'd have been on), and Huddersfield at home. Hardly games that are going to draw in the viewers for Sky.

The league games are decided on league position normally...so the teams at the top are shown (again, especially Leeds because it pulls viewers in...I think they were on against Crewe and Carlisle last year), Doncaster-Swans was also on. MK were on a couple of times, but they were top of the league practically all year.They're not going to show Oldham/Gillingham are they?

The only agenda Sky have is trying to get as many viewers as possible.

your spot on, plus they tend to choose the league games a month or two in advance, and we only really had a breif shout for a play-off place last season, had we been up there all season they may of shown us, but then again they're more focused on the Championship when it comes to league games

Make a note of this.....07.07.08 A slight crack shows in I_C's defensive stance over conspiracy theories! :mmm: