red arrows banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics ...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right in thinking they were only used in action in the bombing of Stanley Airport (and missed with most of them!)? Impressive looking plane (I think I saw one at Loughborough years ago, Mr Anchor would be able to confirm) and damned loud but a bit of a relic in operational terms from launch wasn’t it?

Didn't know you'd ever been to Loughborough! You will have seen it at Woodford though, c.1987.

The raid on Port Stanley airfield was a complete success. The aim was to get one bomb on the runway, which was achieved. At the time, Black Buck 1 was the longest bombing mission in history. Apart from bombing the airfield, the mission showed that Britain was serious about recapturing the Falklands. It also put the fear of God into the conscripted Argentinian soldiers stationed on the islands, and forced the Argentine fighters back to defend the mainland against a similar attack (allowing Britain to maintain air superiority over the islands). It was much more than the 'political' attack it is often credited as.

Martin Withers (who was the captain on Black Buck 1) was the co-pilot on Saturday.

The Vulcan was obsolete in the nuclear bombing role just a few years after it's introduction (in 1957), although it was still on NATO duty until withdrawal from service in late 1982. The new display is much more sedate than when it was in RAF service, to prolong airframe and engine life. It is also much quieter than it used to be - with 13 tonnes of wiring removed and low fuel loads, lower engine power can be used. It still sounds great though! :grin:

A couple more shots from Saturday (showing how much we need a new camera - much better pics are all over t'internet by now):

Vulc1.jpg

Vulc2.jpg

i had very unhappy memories of a flight from honington,suffolk to macrahanish,mull of kintyre ...in a hercules ...

a feckin bone shaker of a journey that had me yonking foodstuff from days past the entire journey...and i know it was only about 1 hour,but it was something else!

god knows how i'd have coped on a longer trip.

as for greenham...i SAW things your dad probably told you about

Macrahanish/Campbeltown runway was long enough to handle the Space Shuttle apparently, and it would've done too if there were reason. But you already knew that Johnny!

Didn't know you'd ever been to Loughborough! You will have seen it at Woodford though, c.1987.

Possibly there then. I just know I'd spent so long forcing a piss back inside myself in a traffic jam that it took me another couple of hours to let it out when I finally had access to a toilet.

Macrahanish/Campbeltown runway was long enough to handle the Space Shuttle apparently, and it would've done too if there were reason. But you already knew that Johnny!

that i didn't know!

all i remember is i hope i never go there again!

the most miserable time i ever had in the raf was my 2 month detachment there.

it didn't help that i was there dring the winter.

i can still feel that wind now!

I don't suppose the emergency landing space on the Clayton way put in place in case the Shuttle broke loose when it flew over St Aidans back in the day?

I don't suppose the emergency landing space on the Clayton way put in place in case the Shuttle broke loose when it flew over St Aidans back in the day?

i remember that!!

strapped to the back of a 747... i'd just started secondary school...so be about 80/81???

i remember that!!

strapped to the back of a 747... i'd just started secondary school...so be about 80/81???

In Florida a few weeks ago and realised there was a shuttle launch scheduled so I went to Kennedy to watch.

I couldn't believe some people weren't interested enough to watch, until I realised how many missions had already been completed;

That one was number 124! FFS They're out and back like buses!

Made the hairs stand up nevertheless....

In Florida a few weeks ago and realised there was a shuttle launch scheduled so I went to Kennedy to watch.

I couldn't believe some people weren't interested enough to watch, until I realised how many missions had already been completed;

That one was number 124! FFS They're out and back like buses!

Made the hairs stand up nevertheless....

did it rain afterwards?????

Both wrong... The European tour was in 1983 - 25th anniversary a few weeks ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7438256.stm

Think again about how old you were in Junior 3 or 4! You'd have been in Junior 2.

Correct. I missed it because I was in hospital having my appendix out. I'm still gutted about that. I was really into space and wanted to become an astronaut. Still do, truth be told.

Both wrong... The European tour was in 1983 - 25th anniversary a few weeks ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7438256.stm

Think again about how old you were in Junior 3 or 4! You'd have been in Junior 2.

If my parents don’t know what my birthday is, how am I meant to remember it? :unsure:

Correct. I missed it because I was in hospital having my appendix out. I'm still gutted about that. I was really into space and wanted to become an astronaut. Still do, truth be told.

They’d need to put extra fuel in it to get you into orbit at the moment

Yes - as soon as I put my golf shoes on, (But that always happens) :mad:

it apparently always hisses it down soon after a launch as they use great big moats of water to dampen the engine eflux on take off...

said water obviously gets super heated and rises as steam... shortly to fall as rain due to some other weather thingy that i don't quite understand...(ie why so quickly??)

everyday a school day eh!

TTD did you ever meet any of the 'sparrows' Jockeys? A few of us were talking to some in a strip club in Limassol...what pretentious *wa*s, well most of them.

yes i did and their groundcrew are even worse!!!! who'd wear a blue(IIRC?) leather flying jacket with SAC tabs on it???

but one time whilst going to an away match (posh circa dowie reign!) the coach was on the A1 heading to the game..

two girls in seat in front start coo'ing etc and i look out the window to see some redsuited eejut in a open top sports car, complete with raybans etc...

he's giving it large, no seat belt i may add.... and these two doris's are lapping it up...

i start to shake my head and he spots this and as he looks over i silently, but slowly say the word 'tango whisky alpha tango' i know it's a family board but i'm hoping that they don't understand 'radio speak' lol

he flicks the v's and he's off... gimp of the highest order.... their show is a bit naff too once you've seen it ONCE!!!

we won that night too..killen IIRC! proved to be a great trip out..lol

If the people want an impressive fly past, try TTD's old crew at 100 feet, the old ground attack, see what shock and awe is really about.

1. Shock - from the crack as they hammer past you.

2. Awe - as the poo runs down your leg from no1.

If the people want an impressive fly past, try TTD's old crew at 100 feet, the old ground attack, see what shock and awe is really about.

1. Shock - from the crack as they hammer past you.

2. Awe - as the poo runs down your leg from no1.

and that was from the back seat!!

when i went for a spin the pilot during briefing told me that we had a spare 10tonne of fuel in a tanker of the coast of northumberland that we could have if we got there in time... (this meant my jolly was extended from an hour or so to nearly two and 1/2!!!)

i asked how long do we have..... answer "12 minutes!"

no chance then!, i thought, bearing in mind we were parked up 40 miles or so due east of inverness...

we did it in a little over 8 minutes....

we APPARENTLY passed close to balmoral at one point!! was all a green blur as far as i could see...

great fun all the same.... oh and messers clarkson and ramsey...wimps of the highest order!! contents of my stomach stayed exactly where they should be.....

but Footy is right... the red arrows are a bit tame compared to a 'role demo' .... they are much better to watch!! especially the one's where the Herc's do a TAC landing from high up, and the daft pongo's are driving their landrovers out the back as the thing is still hurtling down the runway.... awesome!!