"We've got Hughesy..."

:)

Well all I have got to say is this.

In the league:

Played 3 (1 sub). Goals 3. Assists 5.

Now that is the form of the BEST STRIKER IN THE LEAGUE!

... and he is still egtting his fitness and match sharpness back.

Erm, I think it's safe to say he's got his fitness and match sharpness back now.

If West Brom come in with a £2million bid for Hughes tonight, what would you do?

Come on Pukka - thats silly money! Of course you would sell... not an issue.... but you would only even get close to that for a player that has a couple of years atleast left on his contract...

More than likely we will get a bid of about £250-£400k from an SPL club... we will get pushed into a corner, and then hey ho, see ya later hughesy, and only then would the TTA realise how much he means to this club..... because there would be bloody uproar!

I think by getting him signed up for another year at least means its either happy days, and he bangs goals in for us, or we get the market price for the best striker in the division....

Come on Pukka - thats silly money! Of course you would sell... not an issue.... but you would only even get close to that for a player that has a couple of years atleast left on his contract...

More than likely we will get a bid of about £250-£400k from an SPL club... we will get pushed into a corner, and then hey ho, see ya later hughesy, and only then would the TTA realise how much he means to this club..... because there would be bloody uproar!

I think by getting him signed up for another year at least means its either happy days, and he bangs goals in for us, or we get the market price for the best striker in the division....

Observer match report

Oldham's 4-0 drubbing of Cheltenham in League One owed much to Lee Hughes, who scored a hat-trick, his first goals of the season. One reason why he was applauded so enthusiastically by Oldham fans is that Hughes had played a big part in five of the six Oldham golas in their previous two league mathces.

the 32-year-old, who following his period in jail was given the chance to resurrect his career at Oldham 12 months ago, scored eight golas in 21 appearances last season. Having recently had an operation to solve a long-term groin problem, he says: 'I am looking to score at least 20.'

Good forbid people forget he was in jail

The thing with hughes is just how football is now. If we go up, hes said it himself he would more than likely stay and try and establish us in the championship. If we dont, then although he hasnt said it himself, he probably would be likely to leave and go to a higher club barring a big wage offer from us.

The 3 years out of the professional game will mean hes had less strain on his body than he would've had if he'd still played and despite him being 32 i think he's good enough for the championship for a good 3 years yet. If he leaves in the summer for free supposing we dont go up, then we say thanks for your efforts lee and good luck and we move on to other players. If we go up and he stays then great.

oh and personally if we were to get a £2million offer from anyone i wouldn't sell, leave it till at least january and if we look like seriously going up we keep him and give it our best shot - if we were to sell for any price, yes we would make a nice profit but we'd never know what might have been if we let him go and were in with a great chance of going up.

• 1 month later...
If West Brom come in with a £2million bid for Hughes tonight, what would you do?

I think TTA would snatch their hands off, but the way I see it the problem is without him we would not gain promotion.

Without him in the side we are just not potent enough. We could also spend half the fee on a replacement and he probably wouldn't be as good...players like Lee Hughes are extremely hard to find!!

TTA would have to decide...Do we want promotion and everything that goes with it?... or .... Do we balance the books?

he was a menace!

great goal-poaching goal,and was pain in the arse for their defence constantly.

and that dive!!! :laught16:

shame the ref had a humour by-pass.. :rolleyes:

That was so funny. I wondered what he was doing, and he even found it funny himself, when he was facing the free-kick he was laughing his head off. :lol:

Edited by Xander_OAFC

and that dive!!! :laught16:

Agree - cannot believe we got a penalty for it.

Or do you mean the other dive?

Top player, great touch and passing at times is fantastic. Can be a bit greedy at times when others in better positions, but then again that is what top strikers do and he is good enough to get away with it

If some of the other were as quick upstairs, he'd have had a hat trick today.....3 pull backs due to Hughes great movement, rather than shots/crosses from Taylor, Davies and Smalley and he'd have had another hat trick

Yes, but he'd do the same. A comfortable game and people want to get on the score sheet.

Could have done a bit more to set up Davies when he was free in the first half.

:laught16:

Lost 1 of the last 22 league games that Hughes has played in.

Stats like that says it all... dont they senor?

The most important player in the team, closely followed by Gregan.

You have hughes in the team, and 9 times out of 10 at this level, you wont get beat... the statistics prove it.

Superb.

Yes, but he'd do the same. A comfortable game and people want to get on the score sheet.

Sry if that came across like i was criticising those...but far from it...i was just stating that his movement should sometimed be rewarded with more goals for himself. A very comfortable game indeed and made more comfortable by hughes' constant threat

:laught16:

Stats like that says it all... dont they senor?

The most important player in the team, closely followed by Gregan.

You have hughes in the team, and 9 times out of 10 at this level, you wont get beat... the statistics prove it.

Superb.

Whats that got to do with him not putting through a player who was in a better position?

Sry if that came across like i was criticising those...but far from it...i was just stating that his movement should sometimed be rewarded with more goals for himself. A very comfortable game indeed and made more comfortable by hughes' constant threat

Fair enough.

I love wathcing Hughes, the movement, the first touch, some of the passes etc are just a cut above what you normally see at this level.

Also I like the way he plays the game with a smile on his face, but at he same time seems to play the game on the edge of the law in terms of little shoves / shoulder charges etc which must make marking him really difficult.