"We've got Hughesy..."

Although he as not opened his goals account this year, he as been the provider of the majority of the goals this year and a great leader of the line. Watch LW today, both goals at Leeds were created from nothing by Hughes ... pure quality.

I think that its no secret that whether he stays with us next year or not will be down to if we get promotion and that he as only one season left on his contract.

I for one would like to see him stay past this season and think the club should be go all out to put together a deal that he just can't refuse. I'm sure he his aware of the affection the fans have towards him and this must be go a long way him helping the club try to keep him.... although I am taking the assumption they want to keep him.

Ok its only one week into the season ..... but I don't want to be worrying about this come Easter

Although he as not opened his goals account this year, he as been the provider of the majority of the goals this year and a great leader of the line. Watch LW today, both goals at Leeds were created from nothing by Hughes ... pure quality.

I think that its no secret that whether he stays with us next year or not will be down to if we get promotion and that he as only one season left on his contract.

I for one would like to see him stay past this season and think the club should be go all out to put together a deal that he just can't refuse. I'm sure he his aware of the affection the fans have towards him and this must be go a long way him helping the club try to keep him.... although I am taking the assumption they want to keep him.

Ok its only one week into the season ..... but I don't want to be worrying about this come Easter

More like december! I think everyone knows we are on a knifedge with Hughes, and if we dont go up, the vultures will start circling, cant blame him - he easily has a couple of years in him at a higher level and I wouldnt begrudge him that - just hopefully it is at Oldham.

As you say it will be financial, and i'm sure how 'welcomed' he is at Oldham will be a big influence... so if we dont go up, us offering him a decent wedge will probably stave off anyone but a top champ club.... and the 'gamble' factor with him will put others off...

As I say... its the problem with all our players, could lose them at any moment until we get the safety net of the championship...

Personally, forget about easter, I will breath a sigh of relief at the end of this month and the closure of the window, if we still have our squad intact...

Edited by BigfinLatic

Hes only got another 1 or 2 seasons left in him.

Yes hes great for us now and would maybe decent enough for the champs for another season. But could we really offer him anymore than a 1 yr extension? and would anyone at that level really offer him more than 1 yr?

He may have more seasons left in the tank than you'd think going off his age. He 'rested' for 3 years (and probably more beforehand), not playing football at a professional level - and that may mean the physical toll on his joints, ligaments, etc, may have been reduced.

He certainly doesn't look to me like his legs are even starting to go! We may have a new Eyresy on our hands :).

I think it was a secret; well it was to me anyway. I knew nothing about this. Are there any other secrets you know about that I don't. Christ on a bike, you move down south and are suddenly privy to all sorts of vital information.

Hes only got another 1 or 2 seasons left in him.

Yes hes great for us now and would maybe decent enough for the champs for another season. But could we really offer him anymore than a 1 yr extension? and would anyone at that level really offer him more than 1 yr?

Absolute rubbish!

His touch, movement and influence is miles ahead of anyone at this level... as Mark says he has showed his class in all but one of our goals this season, and during that one he wasnt even on the pitch! That wont disappear in League 1/Championship for at leat 3/4 years....

Even the concept of not giving Hughesy an extension if we can is utter lunacy - a player like him is gold-dust to a club like ours, whether at our level or the championship.... if he even hints that he wants to stay TTA should shove a pen in his hand and tie him to a two year extension before he can blink!

If fit, this guy will fire us up on his own... the prime thing we can do is keep him fit, and hope we will stay when we go up....

Anyway, everyone knows what I think... as said before I havent seen a player at this club that makes me as excited to be an Oldham fan since eyresy, and stitch before that.... purely for what he does on the pitch...

I think it was a secret; well it was to me anyway. I knew nothing about this. Are there any other secrets you know about that I don't. Christ on a bike, you move down south and are suddenly privy to all sorts of vital information.

Yeah, massive secret - just stated on a national TV programme interview, and on Latics world..... Shhhhhhh

Edited by BigfinLatic

When talking about Hughesy, you're not talking about the average player in the football league. There's numerous factors which we ourselves would have had to take on board before approaching him. Such as how the fans would react given his past. That would rule the majority of clubs in the football league from making a bid for him alone. Add to that he'll probably be on a half decent wage and the field of potential clubs who would actually make a move for him if they ever wanted to would be very small.

Not to mention that Hughesy has already mentioned in the past how greatful he is for the club for giving him a chance, how well the fans have taken to him - do you really think if someone ever did come in for him, he'd jump ship llike the average player with no baggage behind him would.

People are harping on about Hughes being a class above at this level, which he is, but seriously how many championship clubs would want to take him with all his baggage (even if he may be good enough) when they can afford a young prospect from this league, or snap an ageing premiership player quite easily.

Year to Year contract and I think we've got Hughesy for as long as we want him. I dont think there's any rush at the moment to sort his contract out just yet.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

When talking about Hughesy, you're not talking about the average player in the football league. There's numerous factors which we ourselves would have had to take on board before approaching him. Such as how the fans would react given his past. That would rule the majority of clubs in the football league from making a bid for him alone. Add to that he'll probably be on a half decent wage and the field of potential clubs who would actually make a move for him if they ever wanted to would be very small.

Not to mention that Hughesy has already mentioned in the past how greatful he is for the club for giving him a chance, how well the fans have taken to him - do you really think if someone ever did come in for him, he'd jump ship llike the average player with no baggage behind him would.

People are harping on about Hughes being a class above at this level, which he is, but seriously how many championship clubs would want to take him with all his baggage (even if he may be good enough) when they can afford a young prospect from this league, or snap an ageing premiership player quite easily.

Year to Year contract and I think we've got Hughesy for as long as we want him. I dont think there's any rush at the moment to sort his contract out just yet.

Coventry????????? :sign0007:

He may have more seasons left in the tank than you'd think going off his age. He 'rested' for 3 years (and probably more beforehand), not playing football at a professional level - and that may mean the physical toll on his joints, ligaments, etc, may have been reduced.

He certainly doesn't look to me like his legs are even starting to go! We may have a new Eyresy on our hands :).

Yeas, but it wasn't axactly being rested was it? Life is tough when you are working on those Off Shore Oil Rigs for 3 years :wink:

PS Actually, his ligaments could have been permanently stretched (and not JUST his ligaments :grin: ) - just try feeling the back of your thigh when touching your toes and you'll see what I mean

I really don't think that it would put many of them off. Other fans were lambasting us when we signed him, but had their club signed him, the reaction from our fans would have been the same as there's was, and there's would have been the same as ours (except Coventry). I am pretty sure that Walsall also offered him a deal when he came to us.

He certainly doesn't look to me like his legs are even starting to go! We may have a new Eyresy on our hands :) .

Except Eyresy isn't a

KtF,

Derek.

hughsey,s got a year to run,i think we should offer him another 2 yrs now,hes am ace for us willlll always score goooooooooooooooalsssssss

I think he want's a stab at the championship next year and if we don't go up I think he will probably go! Can't really blame him as he will want to maximise his earnings in the few years he has left.

If we are looking good for promotion around December time I think the club will attempt to tie him to a new deal.

If he can stay fit this season he'll be a very important player for us and could make all the difference to our chances.

I think he want's a stab at the championship next year and if we don't go up I think he will probably go! Can't really blame him as he will want to maximise his earnings in the few years he has left.

If we are looking good for promotion around December time I think the club will attempt to tie him to a new deal.

If he can stay fit this season he'll be a very important player for us and could make all the difference to our chances.

its no suprise he wants to play atr a higher level....and for us its a double edged sword so to speak....

if he doesnt perform this season,i.e not get the goals he wants etc etc,then if we dont go up he cant blame anyone but himself....it would be sad to think that he would jump ship then....

but if he does perform as he wants,and fires us to promotion,it is only natural that other clubs will come looking then,as he wil have proved he can still do it.

i just hope he does perform get us up and stays.....if that is the case i would defo offer him a 2 year deal,least then our backs are covered if a silly money offer comes in.

All aboard the showboat!

Just showed hughesy's 'chest' to Chrissy T on saturday on Soccer AM's showboat - even they can see he is utter class! On a showreel with Joe Cole, Giggs, Martins and Lumplard.... they know the apple!

Fully believe that he is the only player on that pitch that could have played that pass... just another example of his vision and skill, great finish by the ginger prince, but Hughesy's class made it...

Except Eyresy isn't a

KtF,

Derek.

.... and yet look at the joy on your face at Leeds created by Hughes and Taylor ???!!?!?! Pictures don't lie.

Rocky do you honestly believe this??????

The club as said that we have had a number of offers for players recently but never stated who! I will put money on us having recieved some sort of offer for Hughes.

Don't under estimate the positive effect on peoples perception of Hughes clips of him on shows like soccer am have, 12months ago we were the first team to feature on the cross bar challenge, funny enough it was filmed before Hughes joined the club.... that was no accident. He now features on showboat.

On the field he has been one of the most professional footballers I have seen in a long time, especially the relationship he has with the officals, and off the field there have been a number of positives.

Very few aways fans get at him, apart from the obvious clubs, most don't care ... how Hughes reacts to it? With his football, and the odd cheeky grin in their direction.... him clapping all four corners of Elland Road when he was subbed was one of those classic moments.

Question: What do you think the reaction would be like from the Northern fans if, lets say, he moved into the SPL??? Myself included, it's been assumed that he would be looking to playing in the Championship, but the SPL (which we now have a history of ex Latics doing well in) could be something he may consider.

He he keeps / builds up his form over the next few months I'm sure this guy would get into most Championship / SPL teams squad ... look a Kevin Philllips who for me is a very similar player to Hughes.

There is a rush to sign him up

.... and yet look at the joy on your face at Leeds created by Hughes and Taylor ???!!?!?! Pictures don't lie.

Don't matter Mark. He set up a goal for a team I have been supporting for longer than I care to remember.

Pleased? Of course I was.

It doesn't make me change my opinion of him though, and I am still yet to sing his name (nor will I ever do so) no matter how good a footballer he is at this level.

KtF,

Derek.

Don't matter Mark. He set up a goal for a team I have been supporting for longer than I care to remember.

Pleased? Of course I was.

It doesn't make me change my opinion of him though, and I am still yet to sing his name (nor will I ever do so) no matter how good a footballer he is at this level.

KtF,

Derek.

Only pleased ??? :wink:

The club as said that we have had a number of offers for players recently but never stated who! I will put money on us having recieved some sort of offer for Hughes.

Question: What do you think the reaction would be like from the Northern fans if, lets say, he moved into the SPL??? Myself included, it's been assumed that he would be looking to playing in the Championship, but the SPL (which we now have a history of ex Latics doing well in) could be something he may consider.

There is a rush to sign him up

Think all the staement you make Mark are very true... and it was no secret that Dundee expressed an interest, then suddenly pulled out with an 'agents misled us' story... wouldnt surprise me if that was just a cover, and there was more fire behind the smoke...

I think we are utterly deluded if we think we can keep trotting along and hughesy wont go anywhere... players like him just arent around in the lower leagues, and he will be easy pickings (or a presumed easy target) for SPL and champ clubs...

For on the field matters we are priviliged to have Hughesy at our club, he is getting fitter by the game, and he will score soon, and score lots... 5 assists already this season, and his value to the club will skyrocket when he starts scoring - which he will, and in spades....

As you say, he has done nothing but contuct himself with utter proffesionalism since he has been here, you can nit-pick at on the field tiffs, but with the stick he gets that is the least he could do...

Its been said a lot, if we were playing againt us, I would be crapping myself, just look at our record with him in the team last season, and at the start of this - that is no co-incidence....

He is a class act - and I hope we do everything to keep him, and not only will he score goals, but he will also develop davies, o'grady, smalley and ales as an example of a top class striker, as I say, if there is a hint of an opportunity to extend his contract... do it now, before another team snaps him up - and laughs in the face of opposition fans (and us) who stupidly give him stick - as he bangs in goals for them.

Just on a last point - all his best performances have been away from home - he thrives in the pressure, jsut hope he start banging them in at BP so the people who dont go away (not to mention TTA!!) can really see how classy this guy is.

I love reading BigFins' posts on Hughes :grin:

:)

Well all I have got to say is this.

In the league:

Played 3 (1 sub). Goals 3. Assists 5.

Now that is the form of the BEST STRIKER IN THE LEAGUE!

... and he is still egtting his fitness and match sharpness back.

Awesome - get him an extended contract now.