Yesterday

I know many on here have no time for Liddle - but again yesterday he gave his all and his experience in the game and assistance to the younger lads proved he is worthy of his position still. Thought the team looked like a team yesterday! a team of guys who worked for each other...great to see.]

Edited by bluesue

I know many on here have no time for Liddle - but again yesterday he gave his all and his experience in the game and assistance to the younger lads proved he is worthy of his position still. Thought the team looked like a team yesterday! a team of guys who worked for each other...great to see.]

Even with the hat-trick, if Lidds had been voted MOM, complaints would not have been justified.

I have no idea who this Liddle is? Is he a younger, quicker, more effective winger than Andy Liddell??

:tongue1:

Fair play to the old duffer, he is starting to look forward rather than back much more this season... still would rather have smalley there, but hey-ho, long may it last...

Could it be because he now has real competition for his place? He may also realise that it could be his last season, so he wants to go out with another promotion under his belt.

Liddell is one of the few who can pick Hughesy's runs.

Yes - When I was starting to drool over the skill Hughes was staring to show last season , Lids got knacked - I was looking forward to seeing him play with another player who could tune into the same wavelength Hughes is on. I thought Liddell might be the only one, it looks like young Lewis is picking up Hughes FM as well.

Could it be because he now has real competition for his place? He may also realise that it could be his last season, so he wants to go out with another promotion under his belt.

I've quoted it before, Lids told me at the sponsors dinner that he intends to carry on playing at whatever level he is capable of until he has his legs cut off. Added to that, I got the feeling that his Yorkshire sense of self-regard would be more than enough to push him to give it everything he has in any case.

Liddle has always been this good for us when hes fit.

Oh yes. People forget that. He was a bit slow in those couple of games when he came back from the best part of a season with a broken leg though, let's judge him on that...

No, it's because (1) he isn't returning from a serious injury and is returning to his best form and (2) he's got a wand of a right peg and can "out-cross" anyone else at the club.

Edited by tactically_naive

Liddell is certainly our best crosser of a ball, but I suspect Hughes might agree that the best cross of the game on Saturday came from Eardley for his third.

I didn't go to the game so can't comment either way. I have been dumbfounded by some of the criticism that Lids has received over recent months and am delighted he is returning to form. He will have a bad run of form and the predictable cliched "his legs have gone" bollox will return but I do think we should accept that he isn't going to charge past full-backs any more but will deliver a quality ball into the box when given the chance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Liddell too. It's just that I think there are a few other players who don't get the credit they deserve, Eardley being prime among them.

I too have never really understood the criticism Liddell has received. In terms of a 'football brain' and creativity he's at the same level as Lee Hughes, and the two of them are on a different planet to the rest of the squad. Fortunately, the younger players are learning from Lidds and Hughes and showing plenty of potential themselves, otherwise we might become a bit one dimensional.

I've always been a fan of Lidds. He has the ability to go about his game efficiently. Everything he does looks simple, but if you really watch him you see a true artist at work.

I'm pretty sure that in some cases the criticism has come from people who don't bother to consider what he actually delivers in a game - all they see is that he isn't running around flat out for 90 minutes and therefore just assume he isn't putting the effort in. These are the fans who seem to be easily impressed by a player who can run fast and often, without considering whether they ever actually deliver anything.

Why does BB80 never reply to threads like this. He'd be the first on here if Lids had a bad game.

Actually, this is the 1st time I've had chance to get on here for a week or so...when I was strangely enough, discussing Lids having a dodgy 1st half at Leeds but improved 2nd before being subbed! But wait on...no...Wow, shock, horror...I don't reply to threads like these though??? Do I not? Seriously??? Do I not? Oh well...to make you look a bit stupid...

Afraid he didn't get an assist. Was a :censored:e ball that their defender fluffed at and Hughes thankfully was onto. To knock onto the bar and Taylor to nod home. To be fair to Lids though, after a poor 1st half where he gave the ball away several times (even my mate who can't get enough of Lids was admitting he'd been poor) Lids did put in a very decent 2nd half shift before being subbed. Credit to him for that. Would prefer Smalley's threat though.

So now I've disproved that one...I'll simply conclude you're full of ****! (Oh dear, personal attack, here come the MODS!!!) Oh...and I'm the sort who comes running on here after a game to slag a player off....show me where....I'd love to see it! I've come on and talked as a whole about why the team works or does not work. Unlike cretins, probably like yourself, I don't actually drool and get excited over being able to run on here and slag off someone I dislike. Infact, I've sat this season watching games and thinking how some will be licking their lips at running on here and overhyping certain players. A bit like the OP here has....anyway....

For the lesser idiots amongest OWTB's.....Lids...still not where I'd like him to be....ya know, in that area Eardley got into for the 3rd goal to show the old fella what to do! The same area where Lids actually WOULD BE DEVASTATING...if only he managed to get there again coz I've always agreed he has the cross to hurt...FROM THERE! Fair play to Lids though, said it on Saturday in the pub that at present he's not doing what he was doing...which was killing our forward momentums stone dead with that useless ball back into the midfield. He is now passing it forward and playing ALMOST where I said he'd be better, which was a bit more behind the front two (ie. he's been drifting in from the RW) and has a bit more of a free, forward facing role. Would rather Smalley out on the right, but Lids is finally earning his place again. Ya know...warranting being picked by keeping us going forward. Let's hope it lasts eh!

It's funny how his detractors can still point out the good Lids can offer...like myself and BigFin and others have, yet those who have a problem with anyone who slags Lids off just talks as though the guy can walk on water and is faultless. And sit lying in wait to "give it us" when he has an improved few games. Quite pathetic!

PS It's quite amusing also that his biggest fans can't even spell his name! L-I-D-D-E-L-L...FFS!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Actually, this is the 1st time I've had chance to get on here for a week or so...when I was strangely enough, discussing Lids having a dodgy 1st half at Leeds but improved 2nd before being subbed! But wait on...no...Wow, shock, horror...I don't reply to threads like these though??? Do I not? Seriously??? Do I not? Oh well...to make you look a bit stupid...

So now I've disproved that one...I'll simply conclude you're full of ****! (Oh dear, personal attack, here come the MODS!!!) Oh...and I'm the sort who comes running on here after a game to slag a player off....show me where....I'd love to see it! I've come on and talked as a whole about why the team works or does not work. Unlike cretins, probably like yourself, I don't actually drool and get excited over being able to run on here and slag off someone I dislike. Infact, I've sat this season watching games and thinking how some will be licking their lips at running on here and overhyping certain players. A bit like the OP here has....anyway....

For the lesser idiots amongest OWTB's.....Lids...still not where I'd like him to be....ya know, in that area Eardley got into for the 3rd goal to show the old fella what to do! The same area where Lids actually WOULD BE DEVASTATING...if only he managed to get there again coz I've always agreed he has the cross to hurt...FROM THERE! Fair play to Lids though, said it on Saturday in the pub that at present he's not doing what he was doing...which was killing our forward momentums stone dead with that useless ball back into the midfield. He is now passing it forward and playing ALMOST where I said he'd be better, which was a bit more behind the front two (ie. he's been drifting in from the RW) and has a bit more of a free, forward facing role. Would rather Smalley out on the right, but Lids is finally earning his place again. Ya know...warranting being picked by keeping us going forward. Let's hope it lasts eh!

It's funny how his detractors can still point out the good Lids can offer...like myself and BigFin and others have, yet those who have a problem with anyone who slags Lids off just talks as though the guy can walk on water and is faultless. And sit lying in wait to "give it us" when he has an improved few games. Quite pathetic!

PS It's quite amusing also that his biggest fans can't even spell his name! L-I-D-D-E-L-L...FFS!!!

Welcome back BB :wink: As for walking on water, he's not Paul Warne you know!?! :D

I bet you were squirming whilst typing that :wink:

Still, good to see some of his biggest detractors eating a little humble pie as those lesser idiots who reviewed his contribution/potential contribtion a little while ago, including Shez, have so far been proved to be correct. However I am still in full agreement that he could be even more effective given a central role but then I would have said that about him in his prime. Lewis, like Lidds, is doing just fine for now though.

Here's to hoping that when 'Teflon Lidds' has a few poorer games none are lying in wait to 'give it him'. That would be quite pathetic wouldn't it.