The official Neal Eardley is below average thread

Guest sheridans_world
garcon is french matey

Yes your inability to quote who you are responding to confused me.

P.s. Glad you havent missed a home/away game for three seasons. Wonder if I met you at Clyde pre season last year.

Oh and again, cut the offensivness.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sheridans_world
you having colchester pal

Nope, on holiday. I never claimed to go to every home and away game. Unlike some (even though they were disproved).

Guest sheridans_world

I'm in Jersey. Gutted I missed Elland Road again. (I was in Sydney when Elland Road and Goodison were last visited by the blues.)

Anyway, back on topic, this is stuff for PM :wink:

I'm in Jersey. Gutted I missed Elland Road again. (I was in Sydney when Elland Road and Goodison were last visited by the blues.)

Anyway, back on topic, this is stuff for PM :wink:

Cool petrol is 97p in Jersey.

back on topic, ok. Anyone joining the wenks club then ?

garcon is french matey

I'll ave you know I'm as much thoroughbred Owdham as anyone else ere. :angry:

(Ok, with a bit of Mancunian, some Scottish and a splash of Yaaaaarkshire... :blink: )

Ah ... you mean the name... Oddly enough, I was christened that a long time ago by someone from Moston. But that's a story faaaaaaaaar too boring to repeat here.

i'm sorry but eardley is a liability. I always look to encourage the players/find positives but i really cant with eardley. The only thing i can say is that when hes tight to a player he can tackle and use his pace well going forward, that is it!

Distribution - PATHETIC! - He receives the ball with no men around him, has a good 30 secs or so to assess his options, what does he do? - lump it upfield and loses possession so easily it is just inexcusable to do so.

Positioning - PATHETIC - not just him i may add, all the players do it - but he is by far the worst culprit; he seems to give the winger in any team a good 10 yards of space with which to control, assess and pick out a cross/pass before he even begins to close them down. The whole team gives players so much room and time to control, turn and pass it is just mind boggling. When a fullback or central midfielder receives the ball in acres of space, how can any player stand there and watch a player advance towards our goal without any closing/challenge?

Tonight was a prime example, their centre half was given freedom to jog to the halfway line before one of our players even moved towards him never mind tackle. First rule of defence as a fullback/winger - DONT LET THE CROSS COME IN - we let every opposition winger/fullback have the ball in space with time and say 'Come on cross it/pick a pass' There is no urgency in our defending whatsoever.

On saturday, Hughes proved that closing down the fullback/defender and hassling them will cause problems and win the ball for the team. In the second half tonght when hughes/alessandra/lee came on and we went to 442 and had some movement and running about us and closed them down, they began to panic and we created 2 good chances from just simple effort in running at players and players anticipating their marker getting the ball and closing them before they receive it!

Burnely weren't great at all tonight - they got their goals through our own lack of sheer effort in closing down and defending and standing there and watching players come at us. Our not staying with runners/closing down allowed them time to easily pick us offf without breaking sweat. This is a common occurance in all our games though, not just tonight. If you close the space down and challenge players quickly they will not have time to turn and pass the ball, allowing us to win it back and attack - exactly what burnley did to us tonight, simple running!

I know you cannot run around like that for 90 mins, i dont expect that, but effort and will to challenge and close down at a certain point when a opposing player receives/is about to receive the ball yes.

When man utd defend, they allow the opposition a certain part of the pitch in which they can pass the ball in front of them, but when they reach so far i.e before they enter utd's half/just after the halfway line, utd players immediately run to their men, hassle them, determined to win it back and then break with their quick wingers/attackers more often than not creating a chance and scoring.

The formation tonight didnt help either, keep it 442 and change a few around but why 451? a successful team is one which is organised and everyone knows what theyre doing. 3 games into a season and in great form shez screws this up! hence our poor performance together with the lack of that mentioned above.

Yes this is about eardley, but his consistenly ineffective displays of a so called 'international £3m rated footballer' on a regular basis higlights to me that he is the worst in terms of doing the basics and finding a man in space - NOT passing to a player tightly marked, therefore putting him under pressure and we lose it cheaply - as Shez says keep it simple and take care of the ball!

When you think back to irwin or barlow, they werent brilliant player but they could defend properly, attack and pass/cross a ball. These are the basics needed by a fullback and im sorry but eardley is just shocking! He's been in the team since he was 17, he's 19/20 now and i see little if no improvement at all. If TTA's have been turning down 500k+ bids for him then they aren't as clever as i thought they were. Lomax at RB and A PROPER LEFT BACK PLEASE FOR GODS SAKE!! :@

Anyone who thinks eardley is currently anything other than a poor league 1 player is deluded in my opinion.

RANT ANALYSIS OVER!

Edited by saddylatic

When you think back to irwin or barlow, they werent brilliant player but they could defend properly, attack and pass/cross a ball. These are the basics needed by a fullback and im sorry but eardley is just shocking! He's been in the team since he was 17, he's 19/20 now and i see little if no improvement at all.

Irwin could lay claim to being the best full back during the existence of the Premiership, yet he came to us as a reject from second division Leeds, being at the time I think a year or two older than Eardley is now. Irwin was a brilliant player, albeit he still had much to learn when he came to us. If you missed that, why with all respect should anyone value your opinion of another young international fullback?

I wondered how long it would take before the finger pointing, and the slagging off started. Five games in, after a decent start n'all. It's just plain daft.

TBH realistically it was only ever going to take until just after our first defeat, there were a few rumblings after Rochdale but thankfully we managed to scramble through that one and delayed to inevitable, until last night of course.

PS.

Does losing last night now mean that we are not top of the league anymore?

Some unbelievable comments really regarding one of our great "young" prospects...but there we go i guess. Though not there last night, i remember similar 'spouts' last season and all seemed to coincide with no Lidds/no 4 4 2 in place. How Eards can be singled out when there was obvious 'flaws' with the starting line up anf formation etc, seems pretty blinkered.

If you are a "bad" player, you end up in 4th Div/conference/clayton playing fields, not play 100 games at pro level by 21 and a "full" international!!

TBH realistically it was only ever going to take until just after our first defeat, there were a few rumblings after Rochdale but thankfully we managed to scramble through that one and delayed to inevitable, until last night of course.

PS.

Does losing last night now mean that we are not top of the league anymore?

Maybe I can understand the fans anger regarding the policy that Sheridan took for last nights match, but some of the things said in this thread regarding Eardley are amazing. Division 3 team with high expectations - yes - but some people's demands are a little too high. And to be honest, are the fans to blame for bigging up Neal in the first place? I dunno....

He's been in the team since he was 17, he's 19/20 now and i see little if no improvement at all. If TTA's have been turning down 500k+ bids for him then they aren't as clever as i thought they were. Lomax at RB and A PROPER LEFT BACK PLEASE FOR GODS SAKE!! :@

Here here!!! Except my arguement has always been that Eards is not worth the inflated transfer value that some on here think. He does have some Welsh caps it's true, but they were gained when the Welsh had a huge injury crisis or like in the last round of fixtures when they fielded a really strong under 21 side to try to ensure qualification.

If Eards was as good as some think, he would have been snapped up a long time ago by a big club like Gareth Bale. There have been plenty of scouts here at BP to watch the like of Eards but nobody has bought him yet after 100 or so apprearances. Why is that???........... because he's not good enough to play at a higher level. But, I think he will be a decent League 1 player.

Yes Eardley is overated or some/we have been excited by the hype, however at league one level he's a decent player. What we have to remember Eardley gets forward more often than his counterpart on the left side of defence (whoever plays there). He is encourage to do that for the team, so the team as a responsibility to cover in his absence if the attack breaks down. Like every league one player his execution of delivery everytime is not what you see on Ford Super Sunday on Sky, however sometimes he'll pull out a cross like he did for Hughsey last Saturday for his third. Last night at Burnley he put two into the stand and no one showed more frustration than the lad himself, however he was in postion to cock it up, so lets cut a little slack. For me Eardley is still in front of Lomax, cos Lomax doesn't have as much in his game at present and if we are laying blame about individually last night their first came from the winger getting in behind Lomax! However the team allowed a palyer to play the ball to the winger didn't they? So ok Eardley may need to look at the amount of time it's taking him to shut down the wide man when the ball gets played out to him, but don't you think Eardley is being instructed to tuck inside and not leave the the right hand side middle man isolated? of course he's being told to do this. A back four are exactly that.... a back four unit. Its as a unit defensively it as to improve. Anyone remember Crewe away last season..Eardley had a blinder. Maybe it would do him good to get to pastures new, who knows.

Edited by Lags

Sell him, quick. Vastly over-rated IMO. His distribution is pretty poor, which makes me think of his decision making. Doesn't seem to opt for something simple and goes for the long 'glory ball' too often.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, but I just think Lomax is a far more steady and assured player than Eardley is.

but some of the things said in this thread regarding Eardley are amazing. Division 3 team with high expectations - yes - but some people's demands are a little too high. And to be honest, are the fans to blame for bigging up Neal in the first place? I dunno....

I couldnt have put it better myself Rummy especially the bit in bold! Same goes for Craig Davies and most other players we sign.

The thing that really actually annoys me is a lot of fans disregard for the quality of the opposition its as if we have a God given right to steam roller everyone no matter what standard they are with all our players playing out of their skins.

As for last night we got beat by a superior CHAMPIONSHIP side, to single out certain players after last nights game is stupid.

So far we have had to bad games and 2 players have been laid into, anyone have any guesses for who might be next?