John Thompson

Shame for Thompson, maybe now he wishes that Tranmere had been successful in signing him, as he may struggle to get picked up with his injury record. It's difficult for any player to make an impact under those circumstances (unless you happen to be Lee Hughes :headbang: ).

Hopefully the player Sheridan is chasing is Phillips as he seemed to be what we need - but moving Taylor would probably be a mistake, unless Corney sells him off in a "dummy throwing" incident! :angry:

Problem is he may not be wanted - and then he sticks around waiting for a couple of injuries to come in and show that he is not match fit :grin:

Edited by TheBigDog

I love these fairytales of him never being fit. Very poor player. Came to us on the back of us sticking 8 past the defences he "marshalled" over 3 games during the 06/07 season. Had an uninterrupted pre-season. Was calamatous at best and shocking at worst. Only decent effort for us was the 13mins vs Everton, which I hoped I'd see again for 90mins sometime. Don't think he has that in him tho...neither does Shez. I'm pleasantly surprised by that as I thought Shez was going to stick by him.

Thompson, should he go, will nicely fit onto the pile of "scrapheap CB's" along with Arber, Branston and Lord Ndiwa Kangana! Saw enough of him without a Latics shirt on...and then sadly, enough of him in one. Ta! Ta! Thommo!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I love these fairytales of him never being fit. Very poor player. Came to us on the back of us sticking 8 past the defences he "marshalled" over 3 games during the 06/07 season. Had an uninterrupted pre-season. Was calamatous at best and shocking at worst. Only decent effort for us was the 13mins vs Everton, which I hoped I'd see again for 90mins sometime. Don't think he has that in him tho...neither does Shez. I'm pleasantly surprised by that as I thought Shez was going to stick by him.

Thompson, should he go, will nicely fit onto the pile of "scrapheap CB's" along with Arber, Branston and Lord Ndiwa Kangana! Saw enough of him without a Latics shirt on...and then sadly, enough of him in one. Ta! Ta! Thommo!

I've got to agree, I think he did play games for us when he was fully fit and I was never impressed.

I'll be glad to get him off the wage bill and free his salary up for someone far more useful to the team and the squad.

Strange, I thought he was crap against Everton too (and no one other than Smalley put in anything remotely like a performance at Luton).

I'm with BB, he's not shown an ounce of talent and I'd be putting makeshift defenders/loans/fans in before him this season.

He won't be on little wages though, so I can see a Kalala situation where we don't want him but no one will take him off our hands. We might have to pay part of his wages for the remainder of his contract elsewhere, if not, then great.

Strange how people's memories differ so much.

Thompson was arguably man of the match in the last two games I remember seeing him play against us before he signed.

He is (was) a very good centre half at this level, but sometimes a move just doesn't work out. Best for all concerned that he gets a new start elsewhere now I think, and I wish him well.

Interesting point from Big Fin on signings and their success or not. Every new signing is a risk, and I believe most managers would happily take a ratio just the right side of 50%, i.e. more signings being successful than not.

Strange, I thought he was crap against Everton too (and no one other than Smalley put in anything remotely like a performance at Luton).

I'm with BB, he's not shown an ounce of talent and I'd be putting makeshift defenders/loans/fans in before him this season.

He won't be on little wages though, so I can see a Kalala situation where we don't want him but no one will take him off our hands. We might have to pay part of his wages for the remainder of his contract elsewhere, if not, then great.

I recall him starting off very poorly at Luton but improving somewhat. Although as the OASIS policy for coping with that day was to maintain that we had just been for a cultural excursion with no memories of any football I might be mistaken.

Although as the OASIS policy for coping with that day was to maintain that we had just been for a cultural excursion with no memories of any football I might be mistaken.

Are you trying to say you got so drunk you can't remember what happened? (Again).

:grin:

I recall him starting off very poorly at Luton but improving somewhat. Although as the OASIS policy for coping with that day was to maintain that we had just been for a cultural excursion with no memories of any football I might be mistaken.

I remember Beer, lots of Beer, and standing up on trains.... no football is part of that day....

I do remember thinking 'why are so many people in Oldham here' and 'i'm glad I have a much shorter journey home after looking aimlessley at this field' ...

Deane Smalley was there... dont really remember anyone else...

Every new signing is a risk, and I believe most managers would happily take a ratio just the right side of 50%, i.e. more signings being successful than not.

This is correct, even at the highest level.

Man Utd took a chance with Cantona which paid off, can anyone say if Berbatov (assuming he signs for the reds) will have the same impact, we just don't know.

Edited by BP1960

So much for Shez saying at one point that Thompson and Gregan would be his ideal centre back partnership. Glad he's been told he can go. Still remember Donny in the JPT when he came on for an injured Gregan about ten minutes in. The first thing he did was get the ball, for over himself which nearly lead to us conceding. Never understood why the bin dippers raved about him.

So much for Shez saying at one point that Thompson and Gregan would be his ideal centre back partnership. Glad he's been told he can go. Still remember Donny in the JPT when he came on for an injured Gregan about ten minutes in. The first thing he did was get the ball, for over himself which nearly lead to us conceding. Never understood why the bin dippers raved about him.

Haha...yeah, I remember that. And then Shez said how he'd done well after the game. Almost as delusional as he's been about the Burnley game this week (and he says he's even watched a video replay of it since...must've grabbed hold of last seasons by accident.)

My best Thompson moment though...well worst :wink:...is at Clyde away...2 minutes in...ball comes in...no pressure, Thompson stands infront of Crossley, claims he's going to clear it, then just stops and lets it go past him into the back of the net. Then proceeds to turn and look at Crossley. Just an utter clown of a moment...personally think he told Crossley he'd deal with it then decided it was gunna go wide and just left it to go in. Just ridiculous.

By the way (this is to Garcon)...if Thompson was MOTM in the last 2 games you saw him play against us, that'd be the Forest 5-0 and Tramps 1-0. Are you sure??? Really??? How can a defender be the star player in a 5-0 defeat???

By the way (this is to Garcon)...if Thompson was MOTM in the last 2 games you saw him play against us, that'd be the Forest 5-0 and Tramps 1-0. Are you sure??? Really??? How can a defender be the star player in a 5-0 defeat???

Two of the last few games then. Obviously he didn't exactly have a stormer in the 5-0... :blink:

Hmm probably a loan and could well arrive before the weeks out just awaiting a response from the player in question (so its not Byrne)

Demar Phillips? Hopefully left winger Danny Galbraith from Manure :grin:

Phillips is on duty with Jamaica next week so I can't see it being him at the moment.

I think loan deals are allowed for another month after the deadline so we could still sign him later.

I think it will depend on Thompson and Kalala getting fixed up by Monday and one or two fringe players eg. Wolfenden going out on loan.

Although Lomax has been pretty good I think the player coming in will be a left back...We shall see!