World to end on Wednesday

If the world IS to end on Wednesday, that means we have gone all our league games this season unbeaten.

Get in there, thats well worth it, dont you agree? :grin:

But if the world does end on Wednesday, you would have to feel sorry for Citeh, wouldn't you? Richest club in the world for less than a week, not even played a game! :grin:

I reckon Robinho is talented enough to prevent the end of the world single handedly, at the same time as curing all known diseases, Unifying the Force, doing keepy-uppy on his knob and reciting the works of Shakespeare backwards. In Japanese. Still think he’s overextended himself with trying to get City into the Champions League though.

its the end of the world typical just after i have started a new job :unsure:

Basically, for the past 14 years 50 countries have spent a combined $8 billion dollars on this project.

It has invloved building a 17 mile long circular tunnel, where on the 10th Sept;

They will fire laser particles around this tunnel at the speed of light so they hit each other causing some reaction (identical to the big bang theory)

the most plausable outcome is a miniature collision causing tiny black hole type particles to form?!?

however there is a small chance it could also form larger black holes that would warp the universe, open up worm holes to other dimesions - which could lead to time travel.

Nothing, or everything could happen. GENEVA (Reuters) - Scientists involved in a historic "Big Bang" experiment to begin this week hope it will turn up many surprises about the universe and its origins -- but reject suggestions it will bring the end of the world.

And Robert Aymar, the French physicist who heads the CERN research centre, predicted that discoveries to emerge from his organization's 6.4 billion euro ($9.2 billion) project would spark major advances for human society.

"If some of what we expect to find does not turn up, and things we did not foresee do, that will be even more stimulating because it means that we understand less than we thought about nature," said British physicist Brian Cox.

"What I would like to see is the unexpected," said Gerardus t'Hooft of the University of Michigan. Perhaps, he suggested, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) machine at the heart of the experiment "will show us things we didn't know existed."

Once it starts up on Wednesday, scientists plan to smash particle beams together at close to the speed of light inside CERN's tightly-sealed Large Hadron Collider to create multiple mini-versions of the primeval Big Bang.

Cosmologists say that that explosion of an object the size of a small coin occurred about 13.7 billion years ago and led to formation of stars, planets -- and eventually to life on earth.

A key aim of the CERN experiment is to find the "Higgs boson," named after Scottish physicist Peter Higgs who in 1964 pointed to such a particle as the force that gave mass to matter and made the universe possible.

But other mysteries of physics and cosmology -- supersymmetry, dark matter and dark energy among them -- are at the focus of experiments in the 27-km (17-mile) circular tunnel deep underneath the Swiss-French border.FEARS OF DISASTER

CERN, the European Centre for Nuclear Research, says its key researchers -- and many ordinary staff -- have been inundated by e-mails voicing fears about the experiment.

There have been claims that it will create "black holes" of intensive gravity sucking in CERN, Europe and perhaps the whole planet, or that it will open the way for beings from another universe to invade through a "worm hole" in space-time.

But a safety review by scientists at CERN and in the United States and Russia, issued at the weekend, rejected the prospect of such outcomes.

"The LHC will enable us to study in detail what nature is doing all around us," Aymar, who has led CERN for five years, said in response to that review. "The LHC is safe, and any suggestion that it might present a risk is pure fiction."

Cox, from the School of Physics and Astronomy at Britain's Manchester University, was even more trenchant. "I am immensely irritated by the conspiracy theorists who spread this nonsense around," he said.

When the experiment begins soon after 9 a.m. (0700 GMT) on September 10, disaster scenarists will have little to work on.

In the first tests, a particle beam will be shot all the way around the LHC channel in just one direction. If all goes well, collisions might be tried within the coming weeks, but at low intensity. Any bangs at this stage, said one CERN researcher, "will be little ones."

:pray::sign0068::omg: and i never get to see latics player ever again :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry: Edited by boboafc

Ah, it's the accelerator at Cern. I've just been on BBC news to look for the story. I like the way BBC report that scientists say there's no need for all this nonsense, and they report that a small group of critics claim that we're all going to burn in hell.

The critics are probably the same bunch of loons that'll predict the Earth will end over and over again. I believe that the Jehovah's Witnesses are prone to an End of the World prophecy or two, and apparently Edgar C Whisenant wrote 88 Reasons Why the Rapture Could Be in 1988 - followed up with predictions for 1989, 1993, and 1994.

Science? Pffft - who needs it, eh Edgar?

This reminds me (via Google) of the so-called Year 2000 problem or millennium bug, which we were told would cause some date-related computer processing to operate incorrectly between December 31 1999 and January 1 2000 and on other critical dates, which were billed "event horizons”. This fear was fuelled by media speculation, as well as corporate and government reports. People were led to believe that long-working systems could break down when the "...97, 98, 99..." ascending numbering assumption suddenly became invalid. Companies and organizations world-wide checked and upgraded their computer systems, and people followed expert advice and bought new video recorders.

All this in spite of me stating repeatedly that it was a load of bollocks, based on having switched the date on my video to 01.01.2000 well in advance of the big day without any problem. Q.E.D.

No significant computer failures occurred when the clocks rolled over into 2000, and countries where very little was spent on tackling the millennium bug fared just as well as those where a fortune was spent, totalling an estimated 300 billion US dollars.

That was the hoax of the last century and Wednesday is this century’s equivalent. Big bang my arse! :ass3:

This reminds me (via Google) of the so-called Year 2000 problem or millennium bug, which we were told would cause some date-related computer processing to operate incorrectly between December 31 1999 and January 1 2000 and on other critical dates, which were billed "event horizons”. This fear was fuelled by media speculation, as well as corporate and government reports. People were led to believe that long-working systems could break down when the "...97, 98, 99..." ascending numbering assumption suddenly became invalid. Companies and organizations world-wide checked and upgraded their computer systems, and people followed expert advice and bought new video recorders.

All this in spite of me stating repeatedly that it was a load of bollocks, based on having switched the date on my video to 01.01.2000 well in advance of the big day without any problem. Q.E.D.

No significant computer failures occurred when the clocks rolled over into 2000, and countries where very little was spent on tackling the millennium bug fared just as well as those where a fortune was spent, totalling an estimated 300 billion US dollars.

That was the hoax of the last century and Wednesday is this century’s equivalent. Big bang my arse! :ass3:

A colleague of mine, who is about 50 and was a programmer back in the day, tells me with a chuckle about some of his older colleagues who came out of retirement to deal with the Millenium Bug on systems that nobody younger knew what they were doing with. Imagine a plumber being called out, hissing his teeth, and telling you it would take 3 months. Only, he costs ten times as much as the most expensive emergency plumber in Central London, and you only called him out of fear rather than anything actually being wrong, and he knows that nothing will go wrong if he does nothing. A few holiday homes in the sun came out of that one.

A colleague of mine, who is about 50 and was a programmer back in the day, tells me with a chuckle about some of his older colleagues who came out of retirement to deal with the Millenium Bug on systems that nobody younger knew what they were doing with. Imagine a plumber being called out, hissing his teeth, and telling you it would take 3 months. Only, he costs ten times as much as the most expensive emergency plumber in Central London, and you only called him out of fear rather than anything actually being wrong, and he knows that nothing will go wrong if he does nothing. A few holiday homes in the sun came out of that one.

That was the nearest thing to fooling all of the people all of the time in the build up to 2000. How could so many people be so gullible?

The Wednesday LHA experiment in not this centuries equivalent. It is not a hoax.

That was the nearest thing to fooling all of the people all of the time in the build up to 2000. How could so many people be so gullible?

That's right, but that many people can be persuaded with the right spin. It was reported that the bug will affect "even your toaster", it really embedded itself into one's everyday tasks, it struck an immediate chord with the general public. There would be no escape - planes will fall from the sky, nuclear reactors will go into meltdown, toast will not pop up.

But nothing happened, okay - my then copy of Excel went to 1900...

"Um, shall we use dd/mm/yy ?"

"Ah, okay"

I know the above example is a little crude, but you get the idea! I'm sure the Millennium Bug had it's fair share of loons prophesising that the end is indeed nigh, however there were many companies formed to shed you of your hard earned. Claiming to bug-proof your VHS, some were deliberately duping the public - and the public bought it hook line and sinker. To add to the mix, credibility was given to the bug - it had spooked the Labour Party and The Beeb. The BBC and Government agencies were warning us of the impending doom too without thinking about the possibilities first. It was crackers! Nobody stopped to think, the situation had gotten out of control - big bucks were made.

The General Public were duped.

The LHA experiment has been backed up with science, some theory, and another dollop of science for good measure. There just is not enough evidence to substantiate the "theory" that the world will be sucked up by mini black holes. The LHA event is exactly what it claims to be, the collision will happen - experiments will be made. We'll all wake up Thursday and go about our day.

There is no hoax here, move along please....

When they set the first atom bomb off, one of the scientists had a bet with another one that the atmosphere would ignite and the whole world would be consumed by flame. Always good to hear more evidence that some of the greatest minds in the world can be totally clueless when it comes to gambling :)

Whilst out walking the dog this morning, something very wierd happened.....

A school kid no older than 13 came up to me with a very worried look on his face and just blurted out "excuse me, are we really all going to die today?"

I stod there for a good 5 minutes explaining that it was something dreampt up by soom tools who want to make money on their websites and papers.

The poor kid was honestly crapping himself.

Besides that, when i got home last i had to explain it to my 6 year old as he had been told the same in school. He was a bit upset about it as they obviously scared him. I guess the scare mongerers dont think about things like that though do they?