Kevin Maher

Haven't made it over to any games yet. Wondering how Kevin Maher is getting on? Is he any use? Remember he used to ok back in the day.

I think he is a good player but too similar to Allott so difficult for them to play together and that coupled with the form of Whittaker means he is not getting much game time but I am very pleased to have him in the squad.

I think he is a good player but too similar to Allott so difficult for them to play together and that coupled with the form of Whittaker means he is not getting much game time but I am very pleased to have him in the squad.

exactly. end of the day he will come into his own if/when allot is injured this season!

Haven't made it over to any games yet. Wondering how Kevin Maher is getting on? Is he any use? Remember he used to ok back in the day.

Has featured but as mentioned above, the Maher/Allott partnership doesn't work as well as Whittaker/Allott. Seems good from what i've seen though.

Has featured but as mentioned above, the Maher/Allott partnership doesn't work as well as Whittaker/Allott. Seems good from what i've seen though.

Sounds alright so. Our Irish exports to Oldham haven't exactly lit up the place so far! Has Thompson slung his hook? KTF!

Still think it's a waste of a wage, he might be a decent player but at the moment he's taking up a place on the bench that could go to Lee or Stephens.

Surely if Lee of Stephens were percieved to be better than him by Shez they would be on the bench? We have a big squad and shez picks the team... the best players get in it... there is no divine right for anyone to be on the bench, Lee and stephens will have to get in on merit - if they are good enough...

Sounds alright so. Our Irish exports to Oldham haven't exactly lit up the place so far! Has Thompson slung his hook? KTF!

Maher is about as Irish as I am, or most likely rather less so! I reckon we'll have to get through a few Thompsons before we're in a negative balance considering Mr Irwin anyway*

*So long as Miskelly isn't counted

But then Shez is a little obsessed with experienced players, 9 times out of 10 he would go for the older player.

I wonder if Lee is starting to regret joining us.

Lee is older than Eardley, Smalley and Alessandra, which should give a fair indication that he will get his chance if he earns it. I'll grant you Shez does like players who have been there and done it, but I doubt you'd find many managers who don't.

But then Shez is a little obsessed with experienced players, 9 times out of 10 he would go for the older player.

Lee missed part of pre-season and has some catching up to do.

It's not about being obsessed with experienced players - it's recognising that proven ability is worth including.

It was just unfortunate that he got injured in pre season because, with his versatility, he was probably penciled in for a number of positions.

The way it's worked out everybody's doing the business so he'll have to be patient, no doubt there will be injuries, and his chance will come, but when it does he's going to have to play very well to stay in this team.

I hope he doesn't play this season as it will mean we are winning most of our games.

I think he was bought for the future more than anything and will be able to step up to the championship next season if required!!

Lee is older than Eardley, Smalley and Alessandra, which should give a fair indication that he will get his chance if he earns it. I'll grant you Shez does like players who have been there and done it, but I doubt you'd find many managers who don't.

Stephens Lee and Smalley are all 20

Think that's how it should be, Maher hasn't done anything wrong as far as I can see but he's not really producing anything either, sure he'll be replaced in time if he continues not to show anything.

I didn't see his signing as one for an area where we most needed it, but we were spoilt by Ratters staying fit and keeping excellent form for almost the whole season last time, there's no saying (touch wood) he won't break a leg or just have a :censored: spell. I really do feel that when he's up to pace Maher is every bit as good a player. I also think we will see the pair of them together with a varied formation before we are done. We have a wealth of players who could play in front of that pair and D-Whit by way of a change.

Only disappointment really is that it limits Eardley's chances to play in his best position.

If you're 1-0 up away from home and soaking up pressure, bringing on someone like Maher to keep the ball from the opposition is a dream for any manager.

That said, Whitaker has done a superb job of taking an opportunity to stay in the side and is probably the key to our upturn in form this season.

Hughes is exciting, but an injury to Whitaker would be more damaging to the team.

The biggest problem Maher is going to have this season is that he is a very similar player to Allott and given Allott's form and fitness he is currently behind Allott in the pecking order.

Whittaker is a totally different player who has been brilliant since he came here.

Maher for me will undoubtedly get his chance in time with injuries and suspensions, the key for him is being ready to take it when it presents itself.

It's great to have a player of Maher's stature and ability in this division waiting in the wings and putting pressure on the players who are currently in the first team, that can only be good for the club, as we saw last year you need a good squad not just a good starting eleven.