Hughes celebration

Its out of order and ruins any chance of having a sensible discussion on anything....

Starting a thread based on something you didn't see properly, then getting hyper aggressive with everyone who disagrees with you ruins any chance of a sensible discussion on anything too.

Edhunter, if the PM you received was seriously abusive, take it up with the mods. That kind of behaviour is worthy of a permanent ban IMO.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting a thread based on something you didn't see properly, then getting hyper aggressive with everyone who disagrees with you ruins any chance of a sensible discussion on anything too.

Edhunter, if the PM you received was seriously abusive, take it up with the mods. That kind of behaviour is worthy of a permanent ban IMO.

I still belive Lee went towards them on purpose. But it was a shorter time frame than I first thought. Im not going appoligise for a thread which I said pritty early on in the discussion that I will watch it again if everyone thinks I have got it wrong and then withdrew later.

The post to Ed contained the word prat (which he was being, telling a blaten lie) besides that it was not abussive at all. I was just telling him I didn like him lieing about me.

I think some of the treatement I have had on this thread as been pritty poor and I dont belive I have been agressive. Your call for a perment ban shows that your only intrested in sticking it to me, which is sad.

Edited by oafc0000

Watched the highlights this morning and I was very disappointed with Lee Hughes goal celebration. Clearly wound up the home fans by dancing in front of them. It very much did it on purpose. While I accept that Lee has served his time and I fully support Latics taking him on. He needs to rise above any sort of stick the opposition might throw his way. The best response is to stick in a goal.

Its a growing trend in football. Happens weekly in the prem and is starting to happen more in our league. For me inciting the crowd should be a straight red card. Very unprofessional. Football fans will always give the players stick. Its part and parcel. I think if Lee or any player wants to approach a couple thousands fans and give them a piece of his mind he should be ready for some sort of come back aka Millwall... Where he had to run and hide, not for the first time in his life....

Im sorry put he is starting to piss me off abit...you took a life mate...live with the stick.... I think you need to be whiter than white mate....your representing my club...I personally expect better from you... And I am going to tell him next time I see him...

never heard such rubbish in my life,the mans served his sentence and is getting on with what he knows best playing football,im sure what has happened in the past will still haunt him,but as for oafc they have given a bloke another chance which any man deserves and hes giving us his best shot.

Watched the highlights this morning and I was very disappointed with Lee Hughes goal celebration. Clearly wound up the home fans by dancing in front of them. It very much did it on purpose. While I accept that Lee has served his time and I fully support Latics taking him on. He needs to rise above any sort of stick the opposition might throw his way. The best response is to stick in a goal.

Its a growing trend in football. Happens weekly in the prem and is starting to happen more in our league. For me inciting the crowd should be a straight red card. Very unprofessional. Football fans will always give the players stick. Its part and parcel. I think if Lee or any player wants to approach a couple thousands fans and give them a piece of his mind he should be ready for some sort of come back aka Millwall... Where he had to run and hide, not for the first time in his life....

Im sorry put he is starting to piss me off abit...you took a life mate...live with the stick.... I think you need to be whiter than white mate....your representing my club...I personally expect better from you... And I am going to tell him next time I see him...

maybe you should go and watch chess

Muppet.

I still belive Lee went towards them on purpose. But it was a shorter time frame than I first thought. Im not going appoligise for a thread which I said pritty early on in the discussion that I will watch it again if everyone thinks I have got it wrong and then withdrew later.

The post to Ed contained the word prat (which he was being, telling a blaten lie) besides that it was not abussive at all. I was just telling him I didn like him lieing about me.

I think some of the treatement I have had on this thread as been pritty poor and I dont belive I have been agressive. Your call for a perment ban shows that your only intrested in sticking it to me, which is sad.

i have apologised on the forum for mistaken identity.

as for the other comments made by other people,i think you should know by now the feeling of resentment towards you over this thread.

i wouldnt continue posting as it will only lead into a mass slanging match at this rate,at least you admitted earlier you was wrong,so end of now.

as for the other comments made by other people,i think you should know by now the feeling of resentment towards you over this thread.

i wouldnt continue posting as it will only lead into a mass slanging match at this rate,at least you admitted earlier you was wrong,so end of now.

I'm taking it that Ed has been researching, so on the basis that he has found that 0000 wasn't anti the Hughes signing I will also offer my apology for mistakenly saying that he had been and the parts of my argument that followed. I do still feel that there's no value to be had in dragging his past up and expecting him to wear sackcloth and ashes to please the moralising of certain away fans, but that's another matter.

I will continue to defend myself when required. Against people telling lies and twisting my words. As for people just plain having a pop at me I have pritty much just ignored them.

Edited by oafc0000

Guest sheridans_world
I will continue to defend myself when required. Against people telling lies and twisting my words. As for people just plain having a pop at me I have pretty much just ignored them.

If only more people didnt react to name calling.

I'll quote the Rules and Guidelines for some bedtime reading :)

Members Should:

• Think before they post and accept the responsibility for the results of their posts.
  • Refrain from using foul language
  • Err on the side of kindness when reading others' posts, and refrain from accusing them of flaming, etc., just because they don't like them or their opinions.
  • If members can't tell the intent of a post, they also have a responsibility to civilly ask the poster what their intent was, and then, if still unsure, ask mods/admins for their opinion.
  • Express themselves without violating others' rights, including refraining from intimidating, insulting, baiting or trolling other posters. Members have a right to their opinions, but that doesn't mean that others are prohibited from disagreeing politely, even persistently, as long as criticisms are focused on the ideas being expressed rather than on the people expressing them.

Ok I had some fun with Bold ^_^

Please everyone bear the above in mind.

Ed, thanks for your apology, it's always good to get a satisfactory end to a situation without any staff input.

I will continue to defend myself when required. Against people telling lies and twisting my words. As for people just plain having a pop at me I have pritty much just ignored them.

Having debated with you early on in this post (sensibly i feel) (for a change) I agree that you were more than entitled in saying what you saw and think and also more than entitled in having a bit of stick thrown back in your direction, which when put correctly, you handled and retracted when re-thought, which is commendable, therefore the debate/topic was a good one, as that is what it is all about - and i can't blame you for being a bit miffed if you feel people are having a pop... :wink:

Probably no one. But has Robbie Keane ever taken another persons life? As far as I am aware, he has not.

If the issue is that because of his past he shouldn't celebrate goals, then that is not even worth arguing. You either want him at the club or you don't. There is no middle ground of you are happy for him to help us get promoted, but he can't look happy about it because of his past.

If the issue is with his celebration, regardless of his past, then show me what he did wrong. He reacted like he has always done to goals, and it is not an antagonistic dance. He wasn't making gestures to the crowd.

I don't believe this thread should be dragged into a "What Lee Hughes Did" thread.

He made mistakes, he served his time, he is a major part of the current Oldham Athletic team and he should have the same responsibilites and expectations of as the rest of the squad.

Say if Hardy or Shez says to Hughes to tone down his celebrations because of what he’s done and Hughes says, “no I was celebrating like that before I was in prison, I have served my time and if you don’t like it then sell me”. What would you say?

Say if Hardy or Shez says to Hughes to tone down his celebrations because of what he’s done and Hughes says, “no I was celebrating like that before I was in prison, I have served my time and if you don’t like it then sell meâ€. What would you say?

What would I say ? If I was Hughes or if I owned the club ?

If I owned the club and I felt one of my employees behaviour was wrong I would confront them... If they didnt complie I would take action against them... Is it any different in the real world ?

If my boss asked me to tone down my behaviour I would complie or look for another job...

Whats your point?

Edited by oafc0000

Pretty much agree with your point of view oafc0000, I think JLF is just putting out a hypothetical situation to see what we'd do. I think it's fair to say that in many sectors of employment that if an employee’s behaviour is not in line with the standards set by the company, it will be challenged. In football the players have been allowed to celebrate a goal in their own unique way, as long as it does not suggest any hatred, or provocative actions. One could argue that Hughes is provoking the fans; if an opposing player scored a goal shooting towards the Chaddy End and did the same, I know for a fact there would be home fans running down the steps. It probably wouldn’t be the last we would hear of it either…

Whether it is right or wrong is not for me to say, in my humble – if I was Shez and a football manager – I’d tell him to cool down on the celebrations when near the opposing ends. I would not expect Lee to challenge this decision. If he did, I would tear a strip off him. Let’s not forget, football management is nothing like regular leadership – I doubt there’s Dignity at Work seminars or appraisals…

What would I say ? If I was Hughes or if I owned the club ?

If I owned the club and I felt one of my employees behaviour was wrong I would confront them... If they didnt complie I would take action against them... Is it any different in the real world ?

If my boss asked me to tone down my behaviour I would complie or look for another job...

Whats your point?

I meant what would your own thoughts be? If Hughes was asked to tone down his celebrations and that resulted in him leaving the club, would that be a good outcome?

I have managed problematic people and unless you are Man United or Microsoft you tend to have to do the best with what you have got. If someone is rubbish then yeah they should probably look for another job, but when someone is your star worker, then you try to get the best out of them which in some cases means accepting that they are not perfect.

In my opinion I think that this whole Hughes situation is a hard one but apologising for his every move will not do his own mental state any good. He needs to concentrate on the positives and asking him to calm down may just impede his game. Yes thereis a line but in footballing terms has Hughes crossed it? If it was Davies who did it would their be a problem? Which comes back to the point of whether we want Hughes playing for us? Even though we have done him a favour we wouldn't be top of the league without him. It's my opinion that we either accept him for who he is and move on or not accept him at all.

Edited by jimsleftfoot