Hughes celebration

To be perfectly honest it's all a game. The fans giving stick to an oppo player, the player scores, cups his ear as he runs along the stand from where he got the stick, the oppo fans running down the steps with the victory salute. All a game and one 99.9% of fans and players don't give a hoot about afterwards. I've not one jot of worry about Lee Hughes doin his jig in front of the Pools fans on Saturday and yes he did initiate his motion towards the very fans that were baiting him. The pools fans knew it was all part of the game to which they'd started. Long may Hughsey dance on any ground in front of any stand providing his shirt bears the Latics badge!

Move along............... nothing to see here!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Hughes was asked to tone down his celebrations and that resulted in him leaving the club, would that be a good outcome?

If he was asked to tone down his celebrations and he refused I would view it as an acceptable outcome. Same applies too any of our players or any employee in the country. If your employeer wants you to behave in a certain manner and you dont wish to do so then the only outcome is that person moving on. As long as its a legal thing they are asking of you.

Hope that answers your question...

I'm sorry but with hughsey history, like it or not, he has to be on his best behaviour at all times! Absolutely no problem with him celebrating a goal, would be strange if he didn't, but acting like pillock on tv doesn't look to good imo. As for fans giving him a hard time, well goals speak louder than word!

I'm sorry but with hughsey history, like it or not, he has to be on his best behaviour at all times! Absolutely no problem with him celebrating a goal, would be strange if he didn't, but acting like pillock on tv doesn't look to good imo. As for fans giving him a hard time, well goals speak louder than word!

The thing is does he look like a pillock? It's just an original, daft, fun dance thing isn't it. I actually think it's quite down to earth and makes a welcome change from players trying to look 'cool' whilst celebrating.....

It's only a problem when he gets booked for it.

The first time he sees yellow for it should be the last time he gives a ref the opportunity to book him again.

If he does his dodgy dance on the pitch, then there should be no need for it to upset anyone - most importantly the ref.

Long may it continue as long as it doesn't contribute points toward a suspension.

If he was asked to tone down his celebrations and he refused I would view it as an acceptable outcome. Same applies too any of our players or any employee in the country. If your employeer wants you to behave in a certain manner and you dont wish to do so then the only outcome is that person moving on. As long as its a legal thing they are asking of you.

Hope that answers your question...

You aren't allowed to discipline someone for something that you allow his colleagues to do as a matter of course simply because he has a criminal record, it would be like sacking someone for telling a dirty joke on a building sight because he had done time for D&D

Given that (I thought) we (including oafc0000) had agreed that there was little wrong with Hughes's celebration at Hartlepool, isn't this entire thread a load of hypothetical clap trap?

clap trap or not it has spawned 6 pages of debate,which for the most part has been interesting and honest.

people who score goals will always celebrate,more so if the oppo fans give them stick,this is how it has been for donkeys years and unless its a provocative gesture let it carry on.

my own take is i think he looks ridiculous doing it,it was ok when he was a prem player as it was a novelty then,but not anymore,very old tat....

if it provokes this much debate maybe clubs should tell there players if you score a goal just raise your arm ala alan shearer style.

the foregniers look good doing there flips,but just imagine if they got it wrong and snapped there neck....all celebrations would then be stopped.

You aren't allowed to discipline someone for something that you allow his colleagues to do as a matter of course simply because he has a criminal record, it would be like sacking someone for telling a dirty joke on a building sight because he had done time for D&D

Yep, I 100% agree and it was the point I was trying to make.

I don't see any reason for Shez, AH or any Oldham fan to make an issue out of this or try and stop him celebrating a goal.

On top of this, it looks like he is feeling relaxed at the club, which is important for getting the best out of the player. If things like this make him feel on edge and gives him something else to focus on besides the football, it will surely affect his performances.

Edited by BlueInAus

I never said I would condone such behaviour from other players...quite the opposite actually...do keep up...

Yep, I 100% agree and it was the point I was trying to make.

I don't see any reason for Shez, AH or any Oldham fan to make an issue out of this or try and stop him celebrating a goal.

On top of this, it looks like he is feeling relaxed at the club, which is important for getting the best out of the player. If things like this make him feel on edge and gives him something else to focus on besides the football, it will surely affect his performances.

The issue isnt players celebrating goals..... The issue is player purposly attempting to wind up the crowd....

I never said I would condone such behaviour from other players...quite the opposite actually...do keep up...

I know, but you did also link it to Hughes' conviction and the reaction that he gets on account of it, and it's been a repeated point from several others as the debate has broadened. Do keep up...

I agree with both your main comments but don't think they are actually linked,

Yes he looks like a pillock but only in the way that its a stupid dance ( half listening to radio think City are out by the way) not in that he incites the oppo fans. I don't think he does this deliberately at all. I agree that he has to be on his best behaviour at all times because what he did will never be forgotten, I bet he remembers it every day, The original poster described it as being whiter than white which i also agree with. But I think he does all this and more on the pitch. I commented on Saturday that he was chatting and laughing with the ref again, he does it regularly, and also with the oppo players. Bizzarely they don't seem to have a problem with him or try to wind him up (from what I can see ) and if they have been doing they haven't been very successful. I think he manages to handle himself with humility on the pitch and one thing i will never forget is when he was subbed against Cheltenham having scored his hat trick. You could see as he walked off he stopped because their centre half had said something to him, I assumed he'd called him a :censored:,but actually he wanted to shake his hand. I have never seen that before.

Yes he has a lot to live down (and he will never do that) and I think he has to tread a very careful line and behave in a dignifed and respectful manner but for me he is doing all that and I am proud of him. What he did destroyed a family but I have always got the impression that noone outside that family knows it more than him.

Edited by astottie

Basically, this thread is about him winding up the opposition by dancing infront of them, whereas some people think the original post says he shouldnt celebrate.....what I dont understand is, instead of running 10 yards towards the away fans to celebrate, why doesnt he just run in the opposite direction and celebrate in the middle of the pitch? If he does that there is no debate.

Basically, this thread is about him winding up the opposition by dancing infront of them, whereas some people think the original post says he shouldnt celebrate.....what I dont understand is, instead of running 10 yards towards the away fans to celebrate, why doesnt he just run in the opposite direction and celebrate in the middle of the pitch? If he does that there is no debate.

The reason he doesn't run into the middle of the pitch (and this is my take cos I've never asked him) is because he is feeling the personal touch, the verve from the crowd, the buzz of excitment, the intimacey of emotion and the collective power of emotion generated from all those individuals to enhance his exultation of scoring. Now you may say there's no exultation generated in the away ranks when a goal is scored against them, however there is a great power felt when the massed ranks look on in defeat whilst you celebrate with the exuberance and they are powerless to end it. It's human emotion. Football is an emotive entity that goes back to basic animal instinct and that my brothers is why we are addicted and love it. It's tribal and takes us back to animal human kind and not pc kind. We walk out the ground and rejoina world where we all can live and survive together. On the terraces we are our race, not one race.

For most people thats where it stays.................within the ground. And again for most people its the only place they are tribal. Lee Hughes along with any pro player knows the feeling of scoring the goal in front of tribal passionate people. Us supporters can only guess how it feels. Whilst I know how it felt for me in front of my team mates and oppo's on the local parks. I can only assume it felt 100 times more powerful in front of thousands.

Nothing to see here...... move on.

Edited by Lags

The reason he doesn't run into the middle of the pitch (and this is my take cos I've never asked him) is because he is feeling the personal touch, the verve from the crowd, the buzz of excitment, the intimacey of emotion and the collective power of emotion generated from all those individuals to enhance his exultation of scoring. Now you may say there's no exultation generated in the away ranks when a goal is scored against them, however there is a great power felt when the massed ranks look on in defeat whilst you celebrate with the exuberance and they are powerless to end it. It's human emotion. Football is an emotive entity that goes back to basic animal instinct and that my brothers is why we are addicted and love it. It's tribal and takes us back to animal human kind and not pc kind. We walk out the ground and rejoina world where we all can live and survive together. On the terraces we are our race, not one race.

:shock:

Bloody hell Lags, that was like Ernest Hemingway after he'd slaughtered a bull! Although I've always respected your opinions I didn't know you had prose talent like that in you!

Don't often post here BUT.... :shock: I wish there was a *bow* emote!

The issue isnt players celebrating goals..... The issue is player purposly attempting to wind up the crowd....

By doing a dance he has always done, and does after 95% of his goals? Sorry I don't see it.

If Lee Hughes was playing for West Brom and scored against us, would you be talking about it like this if he danced at the Chaddy?

Edit: Lets be fair, a lot of people on here would be going on at Norm for not saving it and not pay any attention to Hughsey.

Edited by BlueInAus

Nonsense. He did it before, he ever went inside. It is his goal celebration and is no different to Alan Shearer running away from the goal with his hand in the air or that kid who does the moonwalk.

I wouldn't even say he targets opposition fans he just does it at the end he scores at.