Gregan - 3 game ban!

shez says ""he won't coment about the incident until he viewed the match dvd , i hope he appeals as i am sure the red card given to gregan for the foul was not as bad as terrys rugby tackle at city last week and he had the red card dismisssed after an appeal

All depends what the ref says he gave the card for.

Terry's was for a professional foul, but the appeal was successful because the video showed he wasn't the last man.

I suspect Gregan's was for dangerous play, i.e. because he went in studs up. A little harsh, but it doesn't look good on the video. I was expecting a 3 match ban, and I don't think an appeal will be successful.

Clear red from the tv which is what they'll go on.

I disagree and think it was very harsh. Gregan didn't go in studs up, he caught the lad with a late tackle. It was a certain yellow, but straight red and more importantly a 3 match ban is very harsh in my view.

Clear red from the tv which is what they'll go on.

Clear red my bottom.

It does look worse than it is but he wasnt the last man, its not like it was two footed, hes lucky he didnt connect fully with the lad otherwise then it would have been a straight red, for me, its a careless tackle than looks worse than it is.

Clear red my bottom.

It does look worse than it is but he wasnt the last man

Doesn't matter if he was the last man or not when he's been sent off for serious foul play.

Doubt that'll get overturned. Video doesn't paint it well (considering the Pool player went flying about 10 yards) and unless you're one of the big Premiergreed boys it's not often the FA overrule a referee.

Clear red my bottom.

It does look worse than it is but he wasnt the last man, its not like it was two footed, hes lucky he didnt connect fully with the lad otherwise then it would have been a straight red, for me, its a careless tackle than looks worse than it is.

I was there and it was a stone cold yellow card...the guy was on the half way line and he got up as soon as Gregan left the pitch.

The ref was waving his red before the guy hit the ground...if that was a red Gregan will get another 5 sendings off this season.

All depends what the ref says he gave the card for.

Terry's was for a professional foul, but the appeal was successful because the video showed he wasn't the last man.

I suspect Gregan's was for dangerous play, i.e. because he went in studs up. A little harsh, but it doesn't look good on the video. I was expecting a 3 match ban, and I don't think an appeal will be successful.

Actually Terry's was for serious foul play like Gregans and if he had not succeeded with his appeal would have faced a 3 game ban.

Cheers,

Harry

Actually Terry's was for serious foul play like Gregans and if he had not succeeded with his appeal would have faced a 3 game ban.

Cheers,

Harry

Erm, the rumour is that when the ref saw the video he changed it to serious foul play as it was obvious Terry was not the last man. Hence when Chelsea appeal they can win (it wasn't serious foul play either). Personally Gregan's tackle is much less of a red card than Terry's (having seen Gregan's live and again on You-Tube- thanks whoever posted it), depsite what a commentator who wasn't there says. It could be overturned but we are not Chelsea (and so can't afford a QC to defend us) and Gregan is not the England captain so I don't wait with baited breath for it to do so.

I have mentioned before that this is a law that needs looking at. I'm not a big fan of cynical challenges, which Gregan's was, he knew if he didn't get the ball the man was going up in the air, hence preventing him from running on into an good attacking position. Nor am I a fan of the red card for denying a goal-scoring opportunity in the penalty area- the penalty is usually the better option. But that is a debate for another time and another place

The TV angle's not great but having seen it in slo-mo i'll admit it's nowhere near as bad as it looked at first. Still can't see it being rescinded though (not least cos Gregan's not the england captain). I'm more concerned about him having a go at a Hartlepool fan on the way down the tunnel - at least that's what it looks like on LW. If he has, then that's just stupid and unnecessary.

I was there and it was a stone cold yellow card...the guy was on the half way line and he got up as soon as Gregan left the pitch.

The ref was waving his red before the guy hit the ground...if that was a red Gregan will get another 5 sendings off this season.

They will bend it anyway they want to benefit Leicester and Leeds...thats where the money is from TV.......game is so ruined with money and corruption folks

The TV angle's not great but having seen it in slo-mo i'll admit it's nowhere near as bad as it looked at first. Still can't see it being rescinded though (not least cos Gregan's not the england captain). I'm more concerned about him having a go at a Hartlepool fan on the way down the tunnel - at least that's what it looks like on LW. If he has, then that's just stupid and unnecessary.

Agreed. It's not a red - too far out from goal, and to the side too for it to be considered denying a goalscoring opportunity. Studs weren't up, it was a slide on the floor so it's just a yellow. Zero chance of it being rescinded though as unless they have 20 angles in super slowmo like they do in the premiership, they'll stick with the decision of the ref. Lets face it, unless it's something totally blatant the ref has missed or got wrong, appeals this far down the food chain have sod all chance of winning.

Clear red my bottom.

Unfortunately, according to the laws, intent matters. Just because he missed the lad doesn't absolve him. Your position makes it a straight red.

I wasn't at the game so all I'm going on is this replay link - and I've got to say I'm all for Gregan having this rescinded but I'm really not sure how. From the replay it looks like a two footed lunge where is feet at the highest point are somewhere near the Hartlepool players thigh (replay link 0:13) - again could be a strange angle on the replay. You can see from the way he lands that he really did take off! As this was a straight red for serious foul play, it doesn't matter where on the pitch it happened or if he was clean through - This is the definition that is used in the BBC John Terry article. The last two paragraphs are key here...

"Serious foul play is classed as when a player "uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is play".

Unfortunately, according to the laws, intent matters. Just because he missed the lad doesn't absolve him. Your position makes it a straight red.

Actually, it doesn’t. Handball is the only foul for which intent is relevant. This isn’t as crazy as it sounds, as it makes a bad tackle a bad tackle, if you fly in with a dangerous tackle it doesn’t matter whether you meant it or not, it’s still dangerous. Likewise leading with the elbow and so on, the foul applies regardless.