Gregan and Hazell...

Can't be arsed saying much about that lot today...been saying for a while about how poor we're looking at present when a high ball is put into our box...leads to chaos and being utterly disorganised (this was part of the build up to their first before Gregan went crazily lunging at nothing)....

BUT...

I watched intently during the 2nd half to see exactly what was happening between Gregan and Hazell and the answer surprised me...coz very very little was the answer. The number of words that they said to one another could be written on the back of a postage stamp!!! That's very very worrying and a big part of the current problem and I hope it gets addressed very quickly. These two have been a great partnership in the past but now they don't communicate nor command their box and seem to be on different scripts. They're not solely to blame at the back, but something isn't right there IMO.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I'd say jones was absent from home for their first and Hughes hand balled for their pen today. Gregan bossed the high balls that held up in the wind punted up field in the first half whilst Hazell is all at sea at present. So thats the back sorted out and now for the front...........................................................................

................................ not scoring.

Didnt get to the game, but have listened to the last 2 games/defeats on Latics World. Certainly from the commentary yesterday the general feeling is that Jones was getting in Taylors way, hence being out of position for the first goal. I do believe that they are both excellent wide players but maybe they need to be on diferent flanks or maybe spend some time on the training ground on how they should work together, ie taylor coming back when jones go forward etc.

It does seem to be a problem too that we aint scoring. On this I think we should go back to Hughes/Lewi partnership.

Sounds like Shez wants to make some changes for tuedays game, maybe we will see the likes of Stephens, Maher and some of the new lads step up. Bring it on I say, but he has to be careful not to change too much.

Come on you bluesaaaaaaaa!

Didnt get to the game, but have listened to the last 2 games/defeats on Latics World. Certainly from the commentary yesterday the general feeling is that Jones was getting in Taylors way, hence being out of position for the first goal. I do believe that they are both excellent wide players but maybe they need to be on diferent flanks or maybe spend some time on the training ground on how they should work together, ie taylor coming back when jones go forward etc.

It does seem to be a problem too that we aint scoring. On this I think we should go back to Hughes/Lewi partnership.

Sounds like Shez wants to make some changes for tuedays game, maybe we will see the likes of Stephens, Maher and some of the new lads step up. Bring it on I say, but he has to be careful not to change too much.

Come on you bluesaaaaaaaa!

It's the Midfield that has worried me all season. we've been getting away with it and in a lot games we've been swamped. Allott is nowhere near up to the standard of last season and comparing Whitaker to Wellens is laughable. Ok he scores more than Richie but the creativity is not there so what do we do? Well... I never thought I'd say it but I'd go back to the formation forced on us last season - that of playing with one out and out winger and playing an extra midfielder on the right - so sorry Lidds, it's a bit part for you for the time being or i'd go one up front, get back to basics and stop teams waltzing through the middle and being afforded the crazy amount of space seen at home to MK Dons, Hartlepool, Stockport and Bristol. So how do we do it? Maher HAS to come in, he's experienced and a leader. I'd consider dropping Allott - nothing against him but he has been poor for most of the season and young Dale would be in there as the box to box player, Danny Whit would therefore be playing a little wider. Maher can be the holding player and give young Dale a chance to show what he can do. Instantly there's more strength and height in the team. Alternatively we go 5 in midfield with Jones and Taylor out wide supporting the lone striker. Just my opinion but we need to both tighten and toughen up the midfield.

Two more points - Shez stop fannying about with the full-backs, Eards and Kelv got us to the top of the league. Jones is good going forward but goes to sleep on the back post and can't defend for toffee (one goalline clearance excepted)

Secondly - Hughes' form worries me, a move back to the championship? You're having a laugh! Ok he's scored 6 goals but he's been anonymous for weeks, time for him to knuckle down and start to repay the faith everyone's shown in him and Shez needs to move away from this Hughes and A N other mentality.

Just my thoughts and tbh Latics has been way down my list of priorities over the last couple of months, even though I've only missed 3 or 4 games, but as there is time to draw breath over half-term it's time we upped the ante again and nothing less than 4 points this week will be good enough. Although I did point out several weeks ago that October is always a crap month Latics!

It's the Midfield that has worried me all season. we've been getting away with it and in a lot games we've been swamped. Allott is nowhere near up to the standard of last season and comparing Whitaker to Wellens is laughable. Ok he scores more than Richie but the creativity is not there so what do we do? Well... I never thought I'd say it but I'd go back to the formation forced on us last season - that of playing with one out and out winger and playing an extra midfielder on the right - so sorry Lidds, it's a bit part for you for the time being or i'd go one up front, get back to basics and stop teams waltzing through the middle and being afforded the crazy amount of space seen at home to MK Dons, Hartlepool, Stockport and Bristol. So how do we do it? Maher HAS to come in, he's experienced and a leader. I'd consider dropping Allott - nothing against him but he has been poor for most of the season and young Dale would be in there as the box to box player, Danny Whit would therefore be playing a little wider. Maher can be the holding player and give young Dale a chance to show what he can do. Instantly there's more strength and height in the team. Alternatively we go 5 in midfield with Jones and Taylor out wide supporting the lone striker. Just my opinion but we need to both tighten and toughen up the midfield.

Two more points - Shez stop fannying about with the full-backs, Eards and Kelv got us to the top of the league. Jones is good going forward but goes to sleep on the back post and can't defend for toffee (one goalline clearance excepted)

Secondly - Hughes' form worries me, a move back to the championship? You're having a laugh! Ok he's scored 6 goals but he's been anonymous for weeks, time for him to knuckle down and start to repay the faith everyone's shown in him and Shez needs to move away from this Hughes and A N other mentality.

Just my thoughts and tbh Latics has been way down my list of priorities over the last couple of months, even though I've only missed 3 or 4 games, but as there is time to draw breath over half-term it's time we upped the ante again and nothing less than 4 points this week will be good enough. Although I did point out several weeks ago that October is always a crap month Latics!

Agreed its the midfield and inparticular when we don't have the ball. There is only Allot who is capable of winning it back Whittaker Taylor and Liddell are all creative players but interms of winning the ball back we are struggling.

Me I would like to see us try bringing Maher in for Liddell switch Taylor to the right and have Whittaker playing from the left not as an out and out left winger but starting as a winger and drifting inside in a kind of Joe Cole/ Robert Pires style. That will leave Jones the space to bomb on which is what he does best and with Maher sitting it will give him some cover to do so.

The phrase "a week is a longtime in Football" is pretty relevent at the moment sat third last week looking to take on the top2 after 2 defeats we are looking over our shoulder a week from now it could be all change again we have 2 at home now and its imperative we get back on track otherwise we are playing catch up.

Finally, someone else see's it too!!! But keep it quiet, your not allowed to criticise Hughes, you know?

Finally, someone else see's it too!!! But keep it quiet, your not allowed to criticise Hughes, you know?

I mentioned that he'd a poor game again yesterday on the way out of the ground and some guy pushed two people out of the way so he could shout abuse in my face and tell me that Hughes was the best striker we'd ever had play for us.

I'd say jones was absent from home for their first and Hughes hand balled for their pen today. Gregan bossed the high balls that held up in the wind punted up field in the first half whilst Hazell is all at sea at present. So thats the back sorted out and now for the front...........................................................................

................................ not scoring.

It began from Jones' side but Gregan was 100% at fault for coming running out and diving at thin air so their lad could slip in the scorer. All he needed to do was stand his ground and the ball through couldn't have been played...was shocking defending for him. And this "bossing" the high balls...it's all well and fine if you thought Branston also bossed the high balls (as people used to say.) At present, the way were defending the high balls...you can't tell the difference between our current lot and what Guy used to do...needs sorting out. And more to the point, Gregan and Hazell need to communicate and stop looking like they've fallen out with one another.

"Gregan was 100% at fault"

Since it was a central defender who scored Gregan was certainly 100% to blame for being naive enough to think one of our dimwit strikers may have been marking Morrison. Or aren't our strikers expected to do such menial tasks as that ?