Sunday 9 November 2008

1.45pm (approx) on ITV1 and Setanta Sports 1

The FA Cup sponsored by E.ON Second Round Proper Draw

2.00pm on ITV1

Havant & Waterlooville v Brentford

Monday 10 November 2008

7.45pm on Setanta Sports 1

AFC Wimbledon v Wycombe Wanderers

Lots of other non league teams in the FA Cup who need the money drawn against league sides... and they choose Leeds v Northampton ?

Lots of other non league teams in the FA Cup who need the money drawn against league sides... and they choose Leeds v Northampton ?

Just been off to ask John Salako, Peter Beagrie and a couple of the other guys from Big Leasue Weekend... and their response was:

"Northampton are a non-league side, arent they? Ho Ho, but they dont stand a chance againt mighty, mighty leeds - no-one wins at Elland road!.... *Pause* but I do see your point... are MK Dons not playing?"

Cheers boys...

I think they decided this before the draw was made

Yeah. Maybe not the Havant game but definitely chose Leeds and AFC Wimbledon. Don't mind them pre-choosing the latter at all but Leeds vs Northampton's a :censored: joke. Who really wants to see that aside from fans of those clubs? Pathetic.

Yeah. Maybe not the Havant game but definitely chose Leeds and AFC Wimbledon. Don't mind them pre-choosing the latter at all but Leeds vs Northampton's a :censored: joke. Who really wants to see that aside from fans of those clubs? Pathetic.

I wont have to watch the dirty scum as it is on setanta and i refuse to pay for any more channels as sky already sets me back 40 odd quid a month

Setanta in TV company requires viewers shocker.

:stupid: I don't know if people are really that moronic on here that they don't see why Leeds get most coverage in this league. Every week we get people moaning that Leeds and Leicester get the biggest air time on BLW. That is because they have most fans and therefore more viewers. If I owned Setanta I would have shown the Leeds game.

:stupid: I don't know if people are really that moronic on here that they don't see why Leeds get most coverage in this league. Every week we get people moaning that Leeds and Leicester get the biggest air time on BLW. That is because they have most fans and therefore more viewers. If I owned Setanta I would have shown the Leeds game.

They may have more fans, don't dispute that whatsoever, but for the casual viewer then it's the 'romance of the cup' that's the big selling point, and there's certainly no romance in a tie like that one.

Anyway, as I don't have Santana then I'll not be bothering with it anyway.

you were going so well. until you decided that showing two league one sides playing each other, in the first round of a cup competition, was an armchair crowd puller. if that programme doesnt once mention 'the romance of the cup' or some other well trodden oldest cup competition in the world phrase, whilst showing a game with about as much romance as the back alleys round picadilly, then youre not moronic either.

None of them strike me as great choices, Leeds v. Northampton would get an increase in viewers if Leeds were the away team (most of the Leeds fans will be at the game surely) but it was the stand out all League 1 tie and its no different to whoever showing the all premiership ties in later rounds. I can understand AFC Wimbledon and H+W games being chosen but neither are the lowest ranked team in the competition and I can't see their being an upset at either game. They've been chosen because of their history not because it will be a good FA cup game, there are other games which deserve being shown which will more likely feature an upset but the TV companies have chosen two teams which don't need the money either for the level of football they play at.

For example (and I will admit a bit of bias here) but the ties featuring Blyth Spartans, Bury Town, and possibly Durham City all sound decent.

• 2 weeks later...
thank you. dont forget, these are the same highly paid proffessionals who paid for the rights to show division six football live.

Probably paid absolutely sod all for it and it fills the gaps between the big events (fights and top level football) which do get the punters in. Probably attracts getting on for as many people who will just watch any game if there is nowt else on as our division would for a fraction of the cost.