Short Latics Careers

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m sure he played for us on loan under Joe Royle.

I’ve just done a quick search and couldn’t find anything immediate. Anyone confirm this?

The search did bring up Michel Vonk.

I've been speaking with Peter Reid a lot just recently and he hasn't mentioned it - he knows I'm a Latics fan. He does however have very fond memories of the Latics team from the '70's, as he often played against them whilst at Bolton. He is particularly glowing in his praise of Alan Groves.

He's still best mates with Shaw Gawbie, Ian Greaves and is an all round top bloke.

I predict he'll be a big success over here. He's already won over a lot of Thai football fans and is very approachable.

Edited by ThaiLatic

What about Short Latics careers that you wish could have been even shorter than 1 game?

Andy Goram v Cardiff (nuff said)

Ian Ironside v Grimsby (I thought it was Raymond Burr nuff said)

Also whatever happened to Lance Cronin? He came on as a sub for 5 mins? v Chasetown in the FA Cup

I’ve just done a quick search and couldn’t find anything immediate. Anyone confirm this? .

Q: It wasn't an easy start to your career, but your love for the game pulled you through?

Asa Hartford: Nothing could quench my thirst for a life in football, and at 38 I was still playing in the Football League for Oldham Athletic in the Second Division.

Also whatever happened to Lance Cronin?

Coooey, Diego.

Lance Cronin: By the end of the 2007–08 season, Cronin had made over 90 appearances for Ebbsflee United] and collected a winners medal when MyFootballClub won the FA Trophy at Wembley Stadium in May 2008.

Up the Fleet (except when playing the Brewers)!

Guest oa_exile
Q: It wasn't an easy start to your career, but your love for the game pulled you through?

Asa Hartford: Nothing could quench my thirst for a life in football, and at 38 I was still playing in the Football League for Oldham Athletic in the Second Division.

Indeed he did play for us , maybe 8 or 9 games in the late 80's

IIRC 1973-74 (It could have been 72-73) Jimmy Friz signed Mike Bernard from Everton

Now Mike was, shall we say, a little rotund in the later years of his career. He had a "slight" thigh muscle injury in pre season and then tore it good and proper early doors before he fully recovered. When I say good and proper, he needed an op and the scar went from his groin to his knee. I don't think he played again after that. Also I'm not sure how many, if any, competitive games he played.

Cheers,

Harrry

I remember Tony Hateley signed for us in the early seventies and played, I think, for half a game before retiring through injury!!

Tony Hateley was at the club at the time I had my cartlidge op in October 1973 and I was under the care of our then Physio Jimmy McGregor.

The day I came home from hospital, my dad took me in to see Jimmy for an appraisal of my scar and muscle loss following the op and Tony was on the treatment table (which was not a rare occurance)

Tony had had both cartlidges removed from both knees and to say his knees were knackered was a bit of an undersatement. He did though compliment me on my neat scar.

Top pro was Hateley senior. What you would call old school.

Cheers,

Harry

Guest oa_exile
IIRC 1973-74 (It could have been 72-73) Jimmy Friz signed Mike Bernard from Everton

Now Mike was, shall we say, a little rotund in the later years of his career. He had a "slight" thigh muscle injury in pre season and then tore it good and proper early doors before he fully recovered. When I say good and proper, he needed an op and the scar went from his groin to his knee. I don't think he played again after that. Also I'm not sure how many, if any, competitive games he played.

Cheers,

Harrry

I remember Mike Bernard very well , in fact I have a football card from his time at the Latics ^_^

He played for us around 1977-78 all six appearances :)

Edited by oa_exile

I remember Mike Bernard very well , in fact I have a football card from his time at the Latics ^_^

He played for us around 1977-78 all six appearances :)

Was it really as late as 77-78? I remember he hardly played, but watched him in training before his injury and he really was a class apart.

Strange how time plays games with your mind or is it just a "getting older" thing?

Cheers,

Harry

Guest oa_exile
Peter Reid

I’ve just done a quick search and couldn’t find anything immediate. Anyone confirm this?

The search did bring up Michel Vonk.

I can confirm that Peter Reid never played for the Latics

Guest oa_exile

Some of our more recent short Latics career players include :

hasney aljofree

marlon beresford

leon clarke

thomasz cywka

stuart giddings

anthony grant

chris howarth

david knight