Short Latics Careers

Brett Omerod off back to PNE with a broken toe, presumably to never play for us again.

Not sure what Brett's total time on the pitch was, but not much and did little in that time to make an impression.

Anyway it got me thinking of other players who have had brief uninspiring times at our club and which is your 'favourite'.

Rob Lee - saw him in a LDV game, looked decent. Never saw him again. But for me the winner would be Mike Fillery - always seemed to be a good player and signed by Royle to bolster our promotion chasing team. Made debut at Boothferry park, played 13 minutes - got injured and never played again.

Any memories of short Latics careers?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've forgotten his name!!!! A player who lasted about 10 minutes against Hull City at Boothferry Park in the late 80's early 90's. I don't think he was ever seen again, it ended his career I think.

That was Mike Fillery mentioned in my original post.

I've forgotten his name!!!! A player who lasted about 10 minutes against Hull City at Boothferry Park in the late 80's early 90's. I don't think he was ever seen again, it ended his career I think.

who was that striker we signed and he injured himself in his "presentation to the press" and never played for us?

Don't know if it qualifies as a 'career' but I remember hearing that Brian Talbot's son turn up with the intention of signing for Latics on the day his dad was sacked? Instead of signing on for us he helped his dad empty his desk and then run him to the dole office to sign on!

Brett Omerod off back to PNE with a broken toe, presumably to never play for us again.

Not sure what Brett's total time on the pitch was, but not much and did little in that time to make an impression.

Anyway it got me thinking of other players who have had brief uninspiring times at our club and which is your 'favourite'.

Rob Lee - saw him in a LDV game, looked decent. Never saw him again. But for me the winner would be Mike Fillery - always seemed to be a good player and signed by Royle to bolster our promotion chasing team. Made debut at Boothferry park, played 13 minutes - got injured and never played again.

Any memories of short Latics careers?

Mike Fillery also played in an end of season game against Notts County, April 1991ish.

Will always be grateful to Matt O'Halloran's goal

David Lee will always be remebered.

Orfeo Keizerweird was surreal.

Ben Turner and David Knight also made an impression

Andy Dibble, signed on loan and was recalled on the same day after Tony Coton got injured. Feb '93

I suppose someone whose stay at the Club included only playing for the Reserves (and scoring) and becoming such a big legend-that-never-was that Derek Wilson bought his Club shirt, does not consititute a Latics career. :disappointed:

Neville Roach

Iain Swann

Steve Cherry

Rory Prendergast

That Canadian dude who played in THAT game at Millmoor

Lee Hardy

Paul Wheatcroft

Dave Carney (now at Sheff Utd via Oz)

Colluso's mate

I remember Tony Hateley signed for us in the early seventies and played, I think, for half a game before retiring through injury!!

I remember that game. Started to warm up by running forwards and then backwards not knowing a ballboy was right behind him picking the ball up and Tony went a-over-t. Priceless!!!