Yoof tonight

Guest oa_exile
Played some decent stuff. Tom Eaves up front got both goals. Looks like one for the future. :)

The way things are at the moment he has every chance of starting on Saturday :grin:

Great result - bring on the toon army! This Tom Eaves is looking a good prospect, it leaves only two options.

He gets sold to Chelsea/Everton/City/pinched by United *spit*

He makes the first team and gets ostracized for not scoring a hat full, saving a penalty and getting the pies in at half time.

I rest my case.

Played some decent stuff. Tom Eaves up front got both goals. Looks like one for the future. :)

Yeah very decent, in fact I'd make the bold statement that this bunch looked collectively the best youth team I've seen, in 20 odd years. We've had some good ones in the past, like the one that got knocked out in the quarter final in '96. That team had some skill and some grafters, this team looks confident composed and comfortable with and on the ball, we out footballed Rotherham and did it the right way. It was also good to see the young lads listening and responding to TP and his team and interesting to hear them all use phrases that we've all heard Shez TW and Dux use too. Like after a missed placed pass TP told the player to "take care of the ball". If that's the case it can only be good for the club, to have the same ethos from top to bottom on the playing side is important isn't it? Clubs with continuity seem to rise upwards, at our level though that takes time and patience, commodities sadly lacking it seems in boardrooms and terraces these days.

Anyways well done to the lads, and good luck at the barcodebastards.

Yeah very decent, in fact I'd make the bold statement that this bunch looked collectively the best youth team I've seen, in 20 odd years. We've had some good ones in the past, like the one that got knocked out in the quarter final in '96. That team had some skill and some grafters, this team looks confident composed and comfortable with and on the ball, we out footballed Rotherham and did it the right way. It was also good to see the young lads listening and responding to TP and his team and interesting to hear them all use phrases that we've all heard Shez TW and Dux use too. Like after a missed placed pass TP told the player to "take care of the ball". If that's the case it can only be good for the club, to have the same ethos from top to bottom on the playing side is important isn't it? Clubs with continuity seem to rise upwards, at our level though that takes time and patience, commodities sadly lacking it seems in boardrooms and terraces these days.

Anyways well done to the lads, and good luck at the barcodebastards.

First time i've seen the kids this season & i was impressed too.

As a unit, they play it the right way (or try too, slipped into a few long punts for a sticky 10 min patch the second half). They work hard all over the pitch, and although IMO no one performance wise last night screamed "picked me for the firsts right away" - there are a number who show alot of potential:

(appologies if any of the names are wrong, didn't pick up a teamsheet!)

# 6 - CB - Liam Dawson - looked very composed on the ball, most of the play started at his feet. His passing was acurate & his reading of the game was very good indeed. One tackle 2nd half, in the middle of our half was an absolute cracker!

#4 - Chalmers - already played for the 1st (granted when we had no one else!) & he looks a very useful player. Sitting in frontt of the back 4, he mopped everything up & played a sort of Gilberto Silva / Makalele role - harrying, hassling & once got; playing it simple. Had a good game.

#9 - Tom Eaves - has a touch of the Porter about him (not the f-ing off to Scotland part, the football part!) Tall, willing runner, bit of skill, good touch (for the most part) & awareness of runs / players around him. Took both goals well; particually the 2nd which was a clever finish.

#10 Ryan Brook - the second striker, worked his socks off all game. was a threat with his runs; creating space for the #9 or other midfielders breaking through.

Also, special mention to our left back, Will (somebody!) - who got done all 1st half by Rotherhams best player, but had a much improved 2nd half & shut out their only threat. He listened to TP & took on board quickly what he was saying to him; position & tackling wise; isn't i amazing what happenes when you listen to coaches / managers eh??

Really enjoyed it last night - was a good game to watch, played in the right way & we got the right result too. TP is so vocal during the game, he never shut up! always telling the players what they did wrong or could have done better - but always finishing it with "well done though, next time eh etc". Encouragement all the way, v impressed with the way he handles the team.

If they don't let the occasion get to them at St James' & play the sort of stuff they did for large parts of last night; they've a real chance of doing the Geordies IMO.

Well done young 'un's - keep it up!!!

#9 - Tom Eaves - has a touch of the Porter about him (not the f-ing off to Scotland part, the football part!) Tall, willing runner, bit of skill, good touch (for the most part) & awareness of runs / players around him. Took both goals well; particually the 2nd which was a clever finish.

Was sat with RoytonBlueLad last night and said exactly the same thing to me about Eaves just after we'd kicked off (the Porter thing). He'd seen him a couple of times before and told me he was the one to watch (up top at least). Have to say after watching him I agree.

Yes there were some bright performances last night. The kids are trying to play football the beautiful way and are being taught well by TP and his staff. I would reccomend anyone to travel up to the North East the next round if you want to at least see endeavour out on the pitch.

Edited by Lags