How good are we really?

Following on from some of the discussion on the Hughes thread, now we have got a few games behind us how good do you honestly think we are this year?

I believe play off challengers, have a first XI that will challenge anyone when on song, but STILL lacking in terms of strength in depth, something i hoped Shez was finally going to sort this summer.

Following on from some of the discussion on the Hughes thread, now we have got a few games behind us how good do you honestly think we are this year?

I believe play off challengers, have a first XI that will challenge anyone when on song, but STILL lacking in terms of strength in depth, something i hoped Shez was finally going to sort this summer.

Lots of depth in terms of numbers......though maybe not in quality.?

Is Danny Whitts good enough for a season?

can Allot perform the same again all year?

Who replaces Hughes when injured/lack of form

Who replaces Gregan...ditto------------------

If Crossley is too old...is Fleming better

Davies is out of favour/lost the plot....whose his 14 goal replacement

For all of the criticisms of Liddle....is Dean Smalley REALLY better than him?

Key players...key questions and so far......no answers or solutions.

Though it's a marathon, not a sprint.....we'll be reet!! :wink:

Edited by futchers briefs

You still don't know which team's going to turn up for games....when we're on song we can be very good but equally when we're bad we can be bloody awful!!

We have pace, skill, youth, and experience throughout the side, but still lack the one thing needed for success...CONSISTENCY!!!!!

You say you believe we're play off challengers but you could say that about a dozen or so other teams in this league....for me nothing has changed and we are no nearer promotion now than we were in Shez's first season.

Like I've said in an earlier post, for various reasons, either permanently or on loan, we've brought in nearly 50 players in just over 2 seasons and made little progress.

I think this is definitely Shez's last season if we fail to challenge, the owners have spent a small fortune and are now looking for a return on their investment......And rightly so!!!

Shez has to bond this team together..and quickly start to produce a consistent winning formula. I really hope he does it....but I'm not sure he can!

I think we will be on the fringes of the play-off places come the end of the season and a couple of good/bad results or bits of good/bad luck maybe the difference between finishing 6th or 7th.

I don't think we have really progressed that much since Shez took over, we have a bigger squad of players but I don't think the overall quality of our starting 11 has improved, in Shez's first season we had Wellens and Porter.

IMO we have never been able to remotely replace Wellens despite abortive attempts with the likes of Kilkenny and Whittaker, they are nowhere near the same quality of player Wellens was and nowhere near as influencial. Since we lost him we have nobody who can just control a game and turn it in our favour.

As usual consistency is the problem as we prove time and time again we can compete against the top teams in the division every season, but we cant go to places like Swindon and Bristol Rovers and grind something out to come away with a point or better, we really do just roll over at times.

Hope we'll be in the top 3/4 - better still 2nd or top - earlier form showed we were virtually unbeatable and we take on top sides positively with imagination and flair. However, why, why, why do we continually allow mediochre to rubbish bottom sides drag us down to their level? It's been the same in previous seasons - precious points thrown away against inferior sides when we've show we can hammer sides like Scunthorpe and Leeds. The display at Cheltenham ws less than convincing despite the fight back ..... a curious and frightening lack of interest from Gregan didn't help. Worryingly, Gregan who can be the prime mover and instiller of confidence can also let the side down when he fails to lead from the back - the Olowusu 'shirt-pull' challenge leading to their penalty was so naive and was so disappointing from an experienced and potentially class performer. Perhaps Maher should take over for a couple of matches?

As for JS - he must be rubbing his eyes in disbelief at the change in form and consistency since the opening half dozen matches. Hopefully this 'head-hanging' lack of confidence permeating the side has happened early enough in the season for him to address and train-out. I believe he's already got the nucleus of a division-winning squad and the support isn't half bad when called upon and in the right mood. Its doubtful the 3 Amigos in the present financial climate will be prepared to throw more money at the side after Christmas, John I'm afraid it's very much up to you to use those coaching skills to instil that consistency that brings more positive results and ultimately, the much needed revenue from dispirited Oldham crowds.

Good enough to go up automatically.

Quality in the starting 11 and 5 or 6 of the fringe players also share that quality.

Will we?

Only if the manager can hold it together.

Hmmm, there's better first teams than ours floating about and quite a few of them. There aren't too many better squads than ours though. But this will only pay off later in the season when suspenders and injuries mount up meaning, like last season with us, teams without deep squads are sticking kids in their sides. Then, we'll be putting in proper players. Then it should pay off and a late run will see us comfortably into the playoffs for me.

We won't get automatic. Don't know how we'll do in the playoffs when we make it there.

This will all be undone by a change of management.

Good enough to win the league. We have shown that.

But I dont think we will, no consistency. I expect a play-off place though. Any less is a big disappointment.

We need a really good motivator and perhaps a fitness coach. The team is good enough for a top six spot deffo but will struggle for that as long as we are led by crisis management. Hughes and O'GRady should be challenging for a place at the club and not shipped out. If there was a bust up, then look at the culture within the club that allowed it to occur.

We need a really good motivator and perhaps a fitness coach. The team is good enough for a top six spot deffo but will struggle for that as long as we are led by crisis management. Hughes and O'GRady should be challenging for a place at the club and not shipped out. If there was a bust up, then look at the culture within the club that allowed it to occur.

Davies

Lots of depth in terms of numbers......though maybe not in quality.? We do and in the key underperforming areas Shez just aint using them - Stam+Thommo ... Lee, Maher + Stephens

Is Danny Whitts good enough for a season? Consistantly in 442 no ... in a 352/433 yes

can Allot perform the same again all year? no - maher was brought in for a dip in form but aint being utilised

Who replaces Hughes when injured/lack of form? obv. noone at the club has aimilar attributes BUT Davies shud never be on loan-i know he's the opposite of einstein BUT we shudnt be allowing him to go so far off the rails

Who replaces Gregan...ditto------------------ I love Capitano BUT stam and reubs have better GPG ratio

If Crossley is too old...is Fleming better? Crossley aint too old BUT too many errors - i find him amusing BUT it is costing us at times - Fleming will be effective YES

Davies is out of favour/lost the plot....whose his 14 goal replacement? Hughes gets 20+ instead of 13ish - Lewi will get 10+ and his link-up will mean Taylor more than trebles last season and Whits already has more than garyMAC

For all of the criticisms of Liddle....is Dean Smalley REALLY better than him? not ATM ... but offers far greater threat at times - Lids does so much easy stuff very well ... but is just too static atm ..... play 352 - See Eardley at his best bombing up and down and Taylor on the left - Maher Allot and Whits in the middle and it gets rid of the problem right side

We are top6 if Shez gets back to normal Shez and stops the seemingly panicky decisions that have hindered the club ever since they walked off the field at the monkey place 2up

I think a lot people overrate our current team. When you compare it to the team that Sheridan took over is it any better? I dont think it is. We do have a bigger squad though which is a positive but in order to get the bigger squad we have to save money by not entering into the reserve league which is doing the squad players no good at all, O'Grady has gone out on loan to get some match time but has been a sub in most games i think. The next few months are very important for both the players and the management, they need to turn things around, i'm not bothered if they dont play fantastic football week in week out that is not going happen in league one but there is no fight in the team and no consistancy throughout the team. Although we have played well in parts we havent had a run of games where we have played well consistantly throughout. The fans also need to stop moaning and shouting abuse at the players as soon as they make a mistake, especially the young players, all the players need the support from the crowd not just Hughes, Taylor and whoever else the current favourites are. The players and coaching staff need to get together and sort out whatever problems there are and it seems there are definately problems somewhere within the club, Gregan apparently has problems in his personal life, fine give him time away from the starting 11 if he needs it to get himself together because he is a big player for us and we need him if we are going to get anywhere near promotion this year. As for Davies if we are going to let him go (i dont think we should) we need to replace him with a pacey striker although i think smalley could do that job in the future he isn't the answer at the moment if we are aiming for promotion. Looking at our match day squad it is strong enough to get into the playoffs and that is the minimum expectations set out by the club this season. If we dont get promoted this season Shez and co could well be looking for a new job in the summer and that will leave us back to square one with a new manager coming in and wanting to create his own squad.

very annoyed that we lack consistency, we have the better players, but have they the backbone to stop having days off and stand up and cut the mustard.

sadly i think not, we might make the play-offs , then see us lose to scunthorpe.

do we really have the better players????....i dont think we do.

im optimistic we will get the playoffs..but if we carry on like we are doing we will be looking at a relegation battle...

on our day we are world beaters...but once every 6 games isnt good enough...we have a manager who bangs on about strength in depth and consistancy...yet does nothing to resolve them

yes we have a big squad....but not utilising it to its full potential..hughes will go at the end of the season if we dont go up,yet he isnt exactly ripping up trees to fire us up is he....allott has suffered,last season was a big one from him,but he is now paying the price for that.

we have brought in a good keeper who is more agile and mobile than crossley,yet after he admits himself he has made stupid errors wont be dropped.

seriously at the moment we are in no better a situation than when shez took over....

he was the cheap option,faths about and doesnt have confidence in his own ability,prefers to play his mates and not upset them by dropping them and if its true we have a big drink culture at the club.

at the moment were papering over the cracks instead of sorting out the problems.