Up Front On Tuesday?/FA CUP

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lids and Lewis might be the most intelligent partnership we've had for a long while, although not the fastest. It could work out so long as we don't about the Ronald Moore approach of punting long balls at Liddell's head. Ratters would offer a more physical alternative and we know Maher can do a great job in the middle, failing that just go down the pecking order. Wolfy if fit, Williams if not.

I think there is a strong case for playing Whitaker this game. Genuine goal threat from midfield and we are at home against a :censored: side so shouldn't be afraid of playing a positive formation.

Or in Hughes language -

Finki'llmiss The Cheltenham Match

Having seen the sending off in the context of the 3 seconds afforded to it by the might ITV Sport machine, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. No way was that a red card, yellow card or a bleedin' Christmas card.

A joke of a decision.

Edited by opinions4u

.I think there is a strong case for playing Whitaker this game. Genuine goal threat from midfield and we are at home against a :censored: side so shouldn't be afraid of playing a positive formation.

Maher to be saved for his return on Saturday at Southend, where he was was a virtual ever-present, rising to be team captain and subsequently club captain. He captained Southend to promotion from Division Two to the Championship in successive seasons, and should get a great reception from the home fans.

Lids and Lewis might be the most intelligent partnership we've had for a long while, although not the fastest. It could work out so long as we don't about the Ronald Moore approach of punting long balls at Liddell's head. Ratters would offer a more physical alternative and we know Maher can do a great job in the middle, failing that just go down the pecking order. Wolfy if fit, Williams if not.

I think there is a strong case for playing Whitaker this game. Genuine goal threat from midfield and we are at home against a :censored: side so shouldn't be afraid of playing a positive formation.

Come on - this is screaming out for the 433/451 that worked so well in the second half at cheltenham... just swapping Lidds for Smalley - we hammereed them for 45 minutes with that formation, why change something that worked?

--------------Norm--------

----Lomax Stammy Ruubes Jones

----------Allott Maher Whits ------

Liddell------------------------Taylor

--------------Lewi--------------------

Edited by BigfinLatic

Having seen the sending off in the context of the 3 seconds afforded to it by the might ITV Sport machine, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. No way was that a red card, yellow card or a bleedin' Christmas card.

A joke of a decision.

However when seen in the flesh, in the context of the ref having given Hughes a lecture shortly before, he was skating on very thin ice. As I keep saying, it was late in the game and their defender was rounding Hughes in readiness to launch another desperate attack, trying to equalise (their keeper had already been in our penalty area for a corner before stoppage time was announced).

By commiting the foul, Hughes gave Latics the opportunity to waste time, break up the flow of the game and organise themselves for a free-kick. That would have been a gamble worth taking if he had not been booked already.The ref interpreted Hughes giving us that advantage as being worthy of a second yellow card. - I think he had no alternative.

Then it was like the Alamo with ten men.

However when seen in the flesh, in the context of the ref having given Hughes a lecture shortly before, he was skating on very thin ice. As I keep saying, it was late in the game and their defender was rounding Hughes in readiness to launch another desperate attack, trying to equalise (their keeper had already been in our penalty area for a corner before stoppage time was announced).

By commiting the foul, Hughes gave Latics the opportunity to waste time, break up the flow of the game and organise themselves for a free-kick. That would have been a gamble worth taking if he had not been booked already.The ref interpreted Hughes giving us that advantage as being worthy of a second yellow card. - I think he had no alternative.

Then it was like the Alamo with ten men.

The thing is though that he has himself to blame...a ridiculous yellow card that he brought upon himself (for the fifth (?) time this season), do something stupid like that early on and you can guarantee that at some point in the season you're going to pick up a red card for something and nothing later on in the game.

What I don't get was Shez's (I think it was Shez, it may have been Lids) comment that the sending off meant we had to bring on Gregan to tighten up at the end. Shez should have brought Greegs on for Hughes anyway before he got sent off, not because he was 'heading for a red' (which he wasn't), but because we had Byfield to break with and could have done with an extra defender on.

The thing is though that he has himself to blame...a ridiculous yellow card that he brought upon himself (for the fifth (?) time this season), do something stupid like that early on and you can guarantee that at some point in the season you're going to pick up a red card for something and nothing later on in the game.

What I don't get was Shez's (I think it was Shez, it may have been Lids) comment that the sending off meant we had to bring on Gregan to tighten up at the end. Shez should have brought Greegs on for Hughes anyway before he got sent off, not because he was 'heading for a red' (which he wasn't), but because we had Byfield to break with and could have done with an extra defender on.

I suspect Greegs would have come on anyway. He needs taking out of the front line for a while but it might be good man management to get him involved even for a couple of minutes.

Yes, and it cost us the game. Oh, just a minute....

No Hughes no byfield smalley injured

is it time for ogrady to be re-called back?? maybe the wolf gets a run out?? or does this mean a big change in formation??

if so........would you play 4-5-1 or with taylor in the middle more

norm

eards stam rubes lomax

lids maher allott jones

taylor?? whitts?? (if back)

lewi

HARD ONE TO CHOOSE LIKE TO SEE WHAT OTHER PEOPLES FORMATIONS WOULD BE THO

Edited by kellysheroes

GK - Norm

RB - Eardley

CB - Stam

CB - Hazell

LB - Lomax

CM - Maher

CM - Allott

CM - Whittaker (If fit)

RW - Taylor

LW - Jones

CF - Lewis

If no Whitts, stick eardley in midfield, lomax to RB, Jones to LB and then stick Taylor and Lidds on wings

Just feel that against a side whose likley to be fairly physical, we'd be better of with a midfield of 3 to give us a solid center.

Edited by Fruitygoo