Shez says we are going to lose Taylor

Did you miss the first 12 games or so of this season BigFin, or have you just forgotten them? :wink:

2 goals a game and some of the best football I've seen Oldham play since about 1990.

Quite right - So whats happened?

A 10 game 'dip in form' that justy happens to coincide with us playing the worst teams on gods earth.... or a club falling to pieces, no communication at all levels, terrbiule discipline, un-motivated players who think they can just turn up and win, and a squad that has been figured out and can be beaten easily simply by outworking them.

Also, no surprise that when the starting 11 has figured out that there is no competition for their places (as sheridans super-squad are either on loan, or never going to play in the first team) they have gone into cruise control

The first 12 games of the season were fantastic, but i'd rather not shove my head in the sand and magically forget some of the worst performances I have EVER seen from an Oldham side - because Swindon and the first half at cheltenham are up there....

As you say - the first 12 gamesbest sice joe - the next set worst since talbot. Fantastic.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:censored: is happening all too regularly and it can be dismal supporting most teams, especially ours.

Allen's players showed much more skill, organisation, pride, passion, belief and desire than most of our lads last night. Their 91 travelling supporters must have been chuffed to bits that the "words" Allen had with them after the Hereford game did the trick, as they knocked us out of the Cup for the third time.

True. But Martin Allen's teams are always horrible to watch. And all in all, what has he really achieved in the game as a manager? Several play-off failures? Woopy doo. Probably add a relegation onto his CV too because if they stay up I'll be amazed.

The only quality that any of his teams ever show is a battling spirit, and aggression in every tackle. Every encounter we ever had with Brentford when he was manager was an ugly, bruising affair where they usually came out best more often than not because we had a soft referee.

It's because a lot more people are now thinking do i want to give up £50 plus per week of my hard earned to pay for the family to line the pockets of petulant tossers who've never done a day's work or is there something better??

Unfortunately it's now paying bills, petrol, food etc. Football needs a reality check soon - think it's coming!

Tbh watching teletext videprinter has its moments.

I totally agree. As a family it cost us £60 last night and I am usually fairly realistic following defeats but last night felt cheated. The performance on the pitch was dire lacking passion and application. I know TTA are putting in a fantatic financial commitment but a low priced admission would have got a better attendance. The game was set up as a Johnstones Paint equivalent where we always fail miserably. Has it not dawned on the powers that be that we don't play well in front of low crowds at BP. It shouldn't be the case, but it is a fact and not just a feature of the Shez era. Good passionate crowd = good performance.Make us all pay top price = low crowd=lose=lose prize money= lose potential good cup run revenue= lose Taylor.

Who loses the loyal fans all round, now and for ever. Big reality check looming for next year's season ticket sales.

I totally agree. As a family it cost us £60 last night and I am usually fairly realistic following defeats but last night felt cheated. The performance on the pitch was dire lacking passion and application. I know TTA are putting in a fantatic financial commitment but a low priced admission would have got a better attendance. The game was set up as a Johnstones Paint equivalent where we always fail miserably. Has it not dawned on the powers that be that we don't play well in front of low crowds at BP. It shouldn't be the case, but it is a fact and not just a feature of the Shez era. Good passionate crowd = good performance.Make us all pay top price = low crowd=lose=lose prize money= lose potential good cup run revenue= lose Taylor.

Who loses the loyal fans all round, now and for ever. Big reality check looming for next year's season ticket sales.

For all the undeniable effort and commitment of TTA, the organisation of the club continues to look amateurish and haphazard. (As does the playing side over the past six weeks or so.)

Guest oa_exile
For all the undeniable effort and commitment of TTA, the organisation of the club continues to look amateurish and haphazard. (As does the playing side over the past 13 years or so.)

You've made my point. Ronnie Moore played totally negative football with the same squad yet Sheridan with the SAME players took us to the playoffs. No, he's not perfect but who do you suggest we replace him with? There is too much of knee jerk reaction nowadays. If we'd had messageboards in the first few years of Royle's reign you'd have been saying the same thing. We've been losing to rubbish teams like Cheltenham for years, that's how football works. We lost to them with Dowie in charge as well, who was a decent Oldham manager as well. So what's the answer then? Sack Sheridan, get some other past it manager like Brian Talbot in again (Stan "Tangerine Head" Ternant is available), then we can sack him after a few bad results.

I dont want him replaced with anyone... I just want him to learn, and not make the same mistakes time and time again, season on season... I really believe he cares more than anyone about doing the right things for this club... however i'm just worries that caring does not substitute for managerial ability....

Time will tell, I really want him to do well... however everything that is going on is sodding me off right royally... its not our decision anyway, I think that TTA share our frustrations, and that might take it out of all our hands.... a couple of more defeats and falling crowds - another crappy tuesday night game coming up, a loss and a sub 5k crowd for that one and the toys will come out of the pram for the last time under shez...

Sort it out John, and prove all of us moaners wrong...

There, positivity... rant over.... for now... KTF and all that... :):ktf:

Edited by BigfinLatic

We had no say in it last night. We rejected Cheltenham's proposal of cheaper tickets at theirs, so they wouldn't have agreed to it at ours!

Guest sheridans_world
I dont want him replaced with anyone... I just want him to learn, and not make the same mistakes time and time again, season on season... I really believe he cares more than anyone about doing the right things for this club... however i'm just worries that caring does not substitute for managerial ability....

Time will tell, I really want him to do well... however everything that is going on is sodding me off right royally... its not our decision anyway, I think that TTA share our frustrations, and that might take it out of all our hands.... a couple of more defeats and falling crowds - another crappy tuesday night game coming up, a loss and a sub 5k crowd for that one and the toys will come out of the pram for the last time under shez...

Sort it out John, and prove all of us moaners wrong...

There, positivity... rant over.... for now... KTF and all that... :):ktf:

I have to say, I think he has learnt on one front. He uses his subs bench now.

The wonder subs against Millwall started it and his replacing Smalley with Lidds and the other way round seems to work well, along with bringing a fresh striker on.

Well Done Shez!

I thought it reads more that if we had a few more players that put a shift in from Monday to Saturday in the same way Taylor does then Chris will be playing at a higher level with us next season.

However, if some of the younger players and I guess he is talking about Davies, Eardley, Allessandra, Lee, Stephens, maybe to a lesser extent Lomax and Smalley aren't putting the effort in during the week let alone on matchdays then we will stay in this division without our better players.

Which sound about right to me, most of the young players today, not just at our club seem more concerned with "being a footballer" and having all the trappings of such rather than either sticking the ball in the net or keeping it out of their own net.

It's up to Shez to motivate the team, especially the younger players and this, I think, is where the problem lies. Look at The England team under Errikson they were going absolutely nowhere, scared in possesion and devoid of all confidence.

In a few short months Capello has bonded the team and encouraged them to play and express themselves and our national side looks better than it has for years.

OK were talking about potential world class players here but the principles are the same.

Look at Gary Johnson at Bristol City 2 seasons ago, another team going nowhere but he came and got promotion in his first season and very nearly did it again last season only to fall at the last hurdle.

I'm not sure about Davies but Eardley's already a full Welsh international and captained his club side at 20. You're not telling me Lee, Stephens and and Smalley are only going through the motions, the problem is when senior players in the first team are producing rubbish week after week they know they're going to keep their place and it must be soul destroying for the youngsters.

As a coach Sheridan is probably OK, but as a leader and motivator he is sadly lacking. I think this team under the right direction is more than capable of achieving promotion but I just don't believe we have the right manager with the right skills necessary to complete the job.

I think TTA know it as well, and is the main reason for the outburst we got a couple of weeks ago.

In his first season in charge he got us to the play-offs (probably should have got promoted) playing attractive football compared to the awful rubbish we had to watch under Ronnie Moore. I don't think he's out of his depth and some other team will benefit if we act like a premiership team and do the rash thing.

if we did the rash thing he wouldnt be here now would he....

at the end of the season if we havent gone up it will be 3 years wated,with a few highlights thrown in for cold comfort.....

he is too pally with the players,and that is his problem,they cant distinguish wether he is being a mate or the manager....where as somebody with no affiliation to the club wouldnt let them get away with half of what they do...

he was the cheap option....and it follows a long tradition of cheap options as previous and current owners try to emulate the one time it did work with big joe....

the problem is when senior players in the first team are producing rubbish week after week they know they're going to keep their place and it must be soul destroying for the youngsters.

I'm not having that for a second. Gregan was awesome until his problems kicked off. Never mind what he thinks about the club, Liddell thinks far to much of Andy Liddell not to be as good as he possibly can be on the pitch. Ratters doesn't care? Don't make me laugh. Crossley, who played half crippled for half a season last year and still carried on for another year, with a long Premiership careers worth of wages in the savings account? Maher, who has come in and done really well?

I'm not having that for a second. Gregan was awesome until his problems kicked off. Never mind what he thinks about the club, Liddell thinks far to much of Andy Liddell not to be as good as he possibly can be on the pitch. Ratters doesn't care? Don't make me laugh. Crossley, who played half crippled for half a season last year and still carried on for another year, with a long Premiership careers worth of wages in the savings account? Maher, who has come in and done really well?

He wouldn't drop Crossley full stop, Maher should have been in for Ratters ages ago, Gregan started very well but has been in decline lately and we all know why.

For God's sake we had a great looking squad at the start of the season so why the hell did he feel the need to bring more loan players in...it was totally unnecessary!

Not saying I disagree with your points but just wanted to point out that Gregans form dipped just before "his problems kicked off"...he was dire at Hartlepool, where he subsequently got suspended and then was arrested 2wks later. The rest is history. He has had some top performances before then though. But rightly was dropped (too late for my liking) soon after. I just hope his pending return to the backline (Hazell suspension and all) comes with renewed vigour from his short "rest" from the side.

Not saying I disagree with your points but just wanted to point out that Gregans form dipped just before "his problems kicked off"...he was dire at Hartlepool, where he subsequently got suspended and then was arrested 2wks later. The rest is history. He has had some top performances before then though. But rightly was dropped (too late for my liking) soon after. I just hope his pending return to the backline (Hazell suspension and all) comes with renewed vigour from his short "rest" from the side.

Gregan was very honest in last night's programme and admitting to having a number of things going on in his personal life and 'not just what has been reported in the press'. So, who knows when they actually started. He also held his hands up to the recent mistakes. Takes a big man.....and he is a big man!

Edited by Takemeanywhere

Gregan was very honest in last night's programme and admitting to having a number of things going on in his personal life and 'not just what has been reported in the press'. So, who knows when they actually started. He also held his hands up to the recent mistakes. Takes a big man.....and he is a big man!

It could yet turn out to be an excellent piece of management from Shez in the midst of some mistakes to give Greegs a couple of minutes at Northampton and play him on Saturday. Out of the pressure zone where he had been making mistakes, but still part of the squad and the team. He's a key man if we are going to achieve anything this season, I'm behind the big fella this Saturday.

It could yet turn out to be an excellent piece of management from Shez in the midst of some mistakes to give Greegs a couple of minutes at Northampton and play him on Saturday. Out of the pressure zone where he had been making mistakes, but still part of the squad and the team. He's a key man if we are going to achieve anything this season, I'm behind the big fella this Saturday.

If you're behind Gregan, we'll not be seeing ya :wink:

I thought that too, change is as good as a rest and all that plus it let Stam and Hazell show whether they can work together as a partnership. A bit like tossing the ball to a batsman during a test match and giving him chance to turn his arm for a few overs.

Crikey.

Must admit to not feeling up to facing the doom and gloom of the forum following Tuesdays results, but having spent an hour catching up on LW I thought I'd have a look to see what people made of Shez'z comments re: Taylor.

I have the luxury of reading this thread after another away win in the league, so am undoutably more positive than people were when they posted - BUT some of this thread is incredibly depressing.

End of football / End of Latics / Worst football seen in years etc.

Yes are a bit inconsistent, but we are still in with a good chance in this league. We have a points total that at this stage in other seasons would have seen us Top 2, and we have a decent squad.

Its not going to be all wine and roses between now and the end of the season, but on the whole I expect that we will be in the mix come the end of the season and therefore it will be an exciting season (better than mid-table bore-a-thons). Whether we make the the play-offs / just miss out / win the play-offs / lose them / get automatic - in the end we'll win a fair few games and it'll be exciting.

Isn't that what we pay our money for? Entertainment?