Shez says we are going to lose Taylor

In his interview Shez says Tayls is the model pro for training and always gives 110% others dont and players in and around his age bracket dont make the same effort, we are going to lose him and good luck to him!

Writings on the wall I think and he is going to be so hard to replace =/

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In his interview Shez says Tayls is the model pro for training and always gives 110% others dont and players in and around his age bracket dont make the same effort, we are going to lose him and good luck to him!

Writings on the wall I think and he is going to be so hard to replace =/

He's :censored:. If you don't believe me ask Derek.

Those quotes did seem to imply that he'd been told

'Win this cup match or we'll have to sell our best asset'

Or it could be implying that Taylor was our best player last night, our most consistent player all season and if he carried on like that we'll struggle to keep hold of him in January.

Or it could be implying that Taylor was our best player last night, our most consistent player all season and if he carried on like that we'll struggle to keep hold of him in January.

That's how I interpreted it, as my glass is half full. On the other hand if one's glass is half empty, one will spread doom speculation, which spreads round the town like wildfire, giving the stayaways more amunition.

That's how I interpreted it, as my glass is half full. On the other hand if one's glass is half empty, one will spread doom speculation, which spreads round the town like wildfire, giving the stayaways more amunition.

My glass is three quarters full, but I'm drinking wine now.

My glass is three quarters full, but I'm drinking wine now.

At half 10 in the morning? Bloody hell....

It did sound like he was preparing us for the worst, "Someone will take him and good luck to him" sounds a pretty clear message. I really hope he was just trying to have a go at other players who aren't pulling their weight cos i can't see us getting anywhere near promotion if Taylor goes.

I thought it reads more that if we had a few more players that put a shift in from Monday to Saturday in the same way Taylor does then Chris will be playing at a higher level with us next season.

However, if some of the younger players and I guess he is talking about Davies, Eardley, Allessandra, Lee, Stephens, maybe to a lesser extent Lomax and Smalley aren't putting the effort in during the week let alone on matchdays then we will stay in this division without our better players.

Which sound about right to me, most of the young players today, not just at our club seem more concerned with "being a footballer" and having all the trappings of such rather than either sticking the ball in the net or keeping it out of their own net.

It was a very honest and frank interview for me he really tells it how it is, he is very annoyed.

He really does have a dig without naming names at one or two players at the club who he obviously feels are not following Taylor's example and working as hard as they should both in training and on match days.

I thought it reads more that if we had a few more players that put a shift in from Monday to Saturday in the same way Taylor does then Chris will be playing at a higher level with us next season.

However, if some of the younger players and I guess he is talking about Davies, Eardley, Allessandra, Lee, Stephens, maybe to a lesser extent Lomax and Smalley aren't putting the effort in during the week let alone on matchdays then we will stay in this division without our better players.

Which sound about right to me, most of the young players today, not just at our club seem more concerned with "being a footballer" and having all the trappings of such rather than either sticking the ball in the net or keeping it out of their own net.

One of the factors that make contemporary football such a farce is that, with some notably exceptional sides, most teams are made up of players who are simply doing a job, with little, if any affinity for the club they happen to be employed by. How could it be any other way when, especially at this level, most players are simply passing through a given club? How can they share the feelings of the supporters when they know they'll soon likely be playing for some other mediocre club? How many sides these days have a nucleus of players who have been together for the best part of a decade, such as we once had at BP? Under Joe we had that strong nucleus, while during the seventies in the old Second Division we had players who'd been in the side together while we were struggling at the foot of Division Four. Today's situation, with a bunch of journeymen of varying ability and commitment, and mix of loanees and players coming through the ranks who usually end up being nothing special (or else some big club would have done a Micah on them), couldn't be more different.

Nights like Tuesday make me wonder why I continue to waste money on the farce.

One of the factors that make contemporary football such a farce is that, with some notably exceptional sides, most teams are made up of players who are simply doing a job, with little, if any affinity for the club they happen to be employed by. How could it be any other way when, especially at this level, most players are simply passing through a given club? How can they share the feelings of the supporters when they know they'll soon likely be playing for some other mediocre club? How many sides these days have a nucleus of players who have been together for the best part of a decade, such as we once had at BP? Under Joe we had that strong nucleus, while during the seventies in the old Second Division we had players who'd been in the side together while we were struggling at the foot of Division Four. Today's situation, with a bunch of journeymen of varying ability and commitment, and mix of loanees and players coming through the ranks who usually end up being nothing special (or else some big club would have done a Micah on them), couldn't be more different.

Another upbeat post from yourself there Corp, although I've got to say I agree with most of what you say.

Because a few weeks ago we had a similar night but we all left the ground feeling about 10 foot tall as we enjoyed Lewis's hatrick.

She's a cruel master football if you let her be.

Paying your entrance fee doesn't entitle you to get the result you want, it merely buys you the right to see the game unfold. Same as any form of live entertainment, I'm sure we have all been to concerts that have been a let down but then seen others by the same band that have blown your socks off. Same as Latics.

Spot on. Worse still those who have had their careers at a higher level and think they are above where they now are but are happy to take wages. Oh and disrupt the squad and set a bad example to the younger players.

Quite a few of my mates have now given up on 'greed' footballers (which includes our division) and turned to watching non-league. Save money, watch decent games, can stand up and even a better atmosphere.

Because a few weeks ago we had a similar night but we all left the ground feeling about 10 foot tall as we enjoyed Lewis's hatrick.

She's a cruel master football if you let her be.

Paying your entrance fee doesn't entitle you to get the result you want, it merely buys you the right to see the game unfold. Same as any form of live entertainment, I'm sure we have all been to concerts that have been a let down but then seen others by the same band that have blown your socks off. Same as Latics.

I'm not necessarily talking about the fact that we lost again, nor even the manner in which we lost.

What I was getting at was the situation I referred to in my post, where we throw ridiculous money at what is largely a bunch of mediocre mercenaries who, when it omes down to it, don't give a toss about the fans or the club, if not because they are merely passing through, having been at various other no-hope outfits daft enough to pay them big wages (compared to the average UK employee), then because they are in their comfort zone, knowing in their hearts that they couldn't compete at a higher level.

I can't be bovvered reliving last night by reading through all the posts, so much of this may have been said already in other unmerged threads.

What a dire night it turned out to be. It started with the pathetic embarrassing attempt to fill Chaddy the Owl's boots with a willing substitute. I found it depressing being in the RRE and looking at that empty Chaddy End. My legs are not long, but there was less leg room than where I normally sit. It was like a testimonial atmosphere - six of us tried to extend the singing and chanting into our area and beyond, but without success.

What I also found so depressing was the constant pumping of long balls either to the opposition or to players who are already under pressure. The overhitting of passes, which even Usain Bolt couldn't have reached. The constant failure of wingers/overlapping full-backs to beat a man on the outside. When Cheltenham (and most teams we have played) got the ball, they controlled it and passed along the ground to a man in space. Possession relieves the pressure. It's a simple game, and occasionally we have played like that, but it's as though players aren't happy on the ball and have forgotten the rudiments of the game.

Also I couldn't understand why even during those frantic stoppage time minutes, we didn't have every player upfield striving for the equaliser. We didn't risk losing a second goal in the quest to take it to extra time. I have to conclude that the players weren't bovvered.

To think we had thrashed Cheltenham not long ago. They had also lost 3-0 to Hereford last Saturday and are poor travellers. It pains me to say it, but Martin Allen got it spot on last night. There was only one team in the game and he had really got them up for it.

The missing ace was Lee Hughes, who let us down by missing both of the Cheltenham cup-ties, but we've already discussed that.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/JohnS...1459059,00.html

Shez says in his interview that he hopes the players are hurting. I would be amazed if they are! He also says it's the players around Taylor's age who haven't got the same desire as him to be top footballers. He says the older players have been there and done it.

My questions to those senior players who have been there and done it are:

Did you want it as much as Cheltenham last night?

Do you still have that desire to get to the third round of the Cup and show better class players that you are as good as them?

Indeed do you have the desire to get into the Championship and pit your skills against them every week?

Are you prepared to encourage and nurture the young players by your good example and take the lead when things are not going well?

To sum up, even though you have "been there and done it", do you have the burning desire to go there and do it again?

Next Saturday we need another top of the table performance, and we need to become consistent if we are going to make this season memorable for the right reasons.

Surely its part and parcel of the managements job to motivate players. I think its a very poor excuse for the loss last night. Has Shez ever held his hands up and said he got it wrong?

It would take a very special kind of manager to mould today's highly-paid journeymen, naive youths and mercenaries into a committed outfit, hungry for success.

Spot on. Worse still those who have had their careers at a higher level and think they are above where they now are but are happy to take wages. Oh and disrupt the squad and set a bad example to the younger players.

Quite a few of my mates have now given up on 'greed' footballers (which includes our division) and turned to watching non-league. Save money, watch decent games, can stand up and even a better atmosphere.

Sheridan's interview suggests thsat it is the younger players whose comittment he is most concerned about. That unless they work at their game (like Taylor has/does) then they won't progress. If I'm wrong in my interpretation of what you said then apologies, but you seem to imply that we've got experienced pros who are just turning up. Now I know that form can dip but, of the players who are aged 30 or older, I can't think of many still at BP who are doing that.

.....largely a bunch of mediocre mercenaries who, when it comes down to it, don't give a toss about the fans or the club, if not because they are merely passing through, having been at various other no-hope outfits daft enough to pay them big wages (compared to the average UK employee), then because they are in their comfort zone, knowing in their hearts that they couldn't compete at a higher level.

You were summing up my thoughts in post No. 17 as I was writing it.

What I also found so depressing was the constant pumping of long balls either to the opposition or to players who are already under pressure. The overhitting of passes, which even Usain Bolt couldn't have reached. The constant failure of wingers/overlapping full-backs to beat a man on the outside. When Cheltenham (and most teams we have played) got the ball, they controlled it and passed along the ground to a man in space. Possession relieves the pressure. It's a simple game, and occasionally we have played like that, but it's as though players aren't happy on the ball and have forgotten the rudiments of the game.

Also I couldn't understand why even during those frantic stoppage time minutes, we didn't have every player upfield striving for the equaliser. We didn't risk losing a second goal in the quest to take it to extra time. I have to conclude that the players weren't bovvered.

To think we had thrashed Cheltenham not long ago. They had also lost 3-0 to Hereford last Saturday and are poor travellers. It pains me to say it, but Martin Allen got it spot on last night. There was only one team in the game and he had really got them up for it.

The missing ace was Lee Hughes, who let us down by missing both of the Cheltenham cup-ties, but we've already discussed that.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/JohnS...1459059,00.html

Shez says in his interview that he hopes the players are hurting. I would be amazed if they are! He also says it's the players around Taylor's age who haven't got the same desire as him to be top footballers. He says the older players have been there and done it.

My questions to those senior players who have been there and done it are:

Did you want it as much as Cheltenham last night?

Do you still have that desire to get to the third round of the Cup and show better class players that you are as good as them?

Indeed do you have the desire to get into the Championship and pit your skills against them every week?

Are you prepared to encourage and nurture the young players by your good example and take the lead when things are not going well?

To sum up, even though you have "been there and done it", do you have the burning desire to go there and do it again?

Next Saturday we need another top of the table performance, and we need to become consistent if we are going to make this season memorable for the right reasons.

Wow, didn't think i'd be saying this - but i agree with you 100% in what you've said above. Spot on.

Last night was dire

Edited by slystallone

Been that way for as long as I can remember, same as most people. Lets face it, we are just as guilty of it spending time on here doing our jobs in a half-assed manner.

If you want to see totally committed football - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboCup these boys won't let you down.

You could say that about any situation in any area of life. 'Nothing is new under the sun' is the comforting mantra of the apathetic majority in every and all situations. Most people would be still saying it when the Four Horsemen rear up on the horizon.

Surely the situation we desire at BP is to recreate those brief times when it wasn't that way?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I'm not necessarily talking about the fact that we lost again, nor even the manner in which we lost.

What I was getting at was the situation I referred to in my post, where we throw ridiculous money at what is largely a bunch of mediocre mercenaries who, when it omes down to it, don't give a toss about the fans or the club, if not because they are merely passing through, having been at various other no-hope outfits daft enough to pay them big wages (compared to the average UK employee), then because they are in their comfort zone, knowing in their hearts that they couldn't compete at a higher level.

That is a very damning indictment of football in the lower leagues, though sadly one which rings true and has the eventual potential to reduce pro football in this country to 3 or possible even 2 leagues.

Worrying times.