All this FA Cup whinging

Now there seems to be a lot of invective aimed at Shez because we've exited the cup. And if one were to believe the drama queens that populate this site one would think that Shez was the worst manager we've ever had. So let me ask y'all a question.

If we'd beaten Chelts what makes you think, Shez being so useless in your opinions, that we'd beat Morecambe and make stately progress to that mythical plum third roundtie, you know the one you're all so sure we'd get and all so sure Corney is fuming at missing out on. If, and according to some of you it must be a massive if, we then knocked Erics lot out how do you know the money spinner wouldn't have been away at Home Park for example, in front of less than 5000, because why would Argyle turn up to see Oldham?

Anyway dunno if its been mentioned but Swansea lost to Havant & Waterlooville last season and Stockport to Staines and as we all know they got relegated at the end of last season, just added in a reality check kind of way like.

Oh and the mope who suggested a "Shez out" banner for Saturday, you a a grade A nob. Yes pointless abuse of another member, but fully justified in the circumstances and if anybody can prove different I'll hold me hands up and apologise.

What if this, what if that, what if the other? The only things for certain we know are that the Club is losing money every week and being knocked out of the Cup has reduced the income source to home League games.

Yes, we might have lost to Morecambe, but we would still have been in there with a chance for the players to prove themselves against lower opposition. That chance has gone in a dire performance, which has done posibly irreparable harm to future home gates.

I don't want Shez out. I want the players to pull their fingers out and become consistent to put a smile back on everyone's face, especially TTA. :comeon:

I don't think there have been many Shez out posts to be fair. Sure quite a few questioning some of the decisions or the managing of the squad. Whilst a few now giving time scales before they would start to question his tenure, would those be the drama queens to which you refer?

Now this big if question you pose, yes we may have got that plumb draw away at home park but I'll guarantee you this much, there's no if about it now, we wont! nor at anfield or the emirates. Get my drift? The FA Cup or rather the money is essential to Latics and when the best players are sold and the playing budget cut perhaps then we'll see how essential. Losing to Cheltenham for gods sake! at least Sheridan admits that much.

Edited by Lags

So we are just bouncing along from August to November with all our eggs in the FA Cup basket?

The money needs to come in from May-July time with season tickets then from August to May with additional gate reciepts. If this income stream was generating the cash the FA Cup cash is what it always has been - a bonus - not to be relied upon. The money spinning ties or even the ties that bring in a reasonable payment for highlights only come along every so often.

It is chicken and egg time, we need attendances to increase, but attendances won't increase until we are perceived to be doing better by the population of Oldham and surrounding areas.

So we are just bouncing along from August to November with all our eggs in the FA Cup basket?

The money needs to come in from May-July time with season tickets then from August to May with additional gate reciepts. If this income stream was generating the cash the FA Cup cash is what it always has been - a bonus - not to be relied upon. The money spinning ties or even the ties that bring in a reasonable payment for highlights only come along every so often.

It is chicken and egg time, we need attendances to increase, but attendances won't increase until we are perceived to be doing better by the population of Oldham and surrounding areas.

What better way of showing that than having a good cup run, a chance of drawing a name that will have the population back inside BP to witness for themselves why we WERE top of the league. Everyone as to agree something major as happened to this side from 12/13 games back. We've had to many rumbles from within the club for it not to be nothing.

Exactly - this was more my worry about playing at home to another pathetic defeat.... that is 2 on the bounce now, do you honeslty think any of the casual fans who possibly went, but more than like read abaout it in the paper or listened to the thrilling live BBC commentary are going to bother to go and see the 'mighty oldham' for the nect couple of league games?

A win against crappy cheltenham and suddenly all the FA cup hope comes alive - unjustified or not... we all know we will probably lose to Ipswich away in the thrid round, however that doesnt matter - crappy little oldham have not been knowcked out again playing like a bunch of arses...

Walsall - Tue 25th Dec. IMO possibly the biggest game of Sheridans tenure. I can see the crowd being sub 5k (reasons stated above), so if we dont get a result in that one, I think its game over for Sheridan...

Its not that we lost a football match - its that we keep losing football matches that we should win...

But we know that's not going to happen...the ST's and matchday payers aren't going to swell the coffers. And a big part of this seasons budget came from the Everton game. I can't get my head around those who think this 1st round loss is mildly acceptable without question. Especially with the factors leading up to it...lack of strikers through miss-management all around. One minute it's said about all the money staying at the top level of football with the Premiergreed and then our only real chance to tap into it, we piss away so wastefully.

But we must not question Shez according to some...oh no :wink:

Its not that we lost a football match - its that we keep losing football matches that we should win...

Damn those pesky oppposition players and managers! We would have won on Tuesday if it hadn't been for Cheltenham!

People are not going to flock back to BP because we get a tie against Liverpool in the 3rd round, they will turn up for the Liverpool game then disappear again.

Walsall - Tue 25th Dec. IMO possibly the biggest game of Sheridans tenure. I can see the crowd being sub 5k (reasons stated above), so if we dont get a result in that one, I think its game over for Sheridan...

To be honest, I'd be surprised if anyone turns up on Christmas Day. :tongue1:

Edited by jsslatic

To be honest, I'd be surprised if anyone turns up on Christmas Day. :tongue1:

Get the violins out. Back in the old days, we used to play on Christmas Day. Morning with the kids and their toys, afternoon at the match with most of the blokes smoking cigars and then back home for the slap-up Christmas dinner.

!951/52 Division Three North:

Christmas Day - Latics 1 Rochdale 1 Attendance 23,001 (that one was me!)

Boxing Day - Rochdale 2 Latics 2 Attendance 12,430.

You try telling that to the mollycoddled players of today and they won't believe you!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

But we know that's not going to happen...the ST's and matchday payers aren't going to swell the coffers.

I agree they aren't, they are the only source of income, thats my point - this is the cloth, it has to be cut accordingly.

I can't get my head around those who think this 1st round loss is mildly acceptable without question.

I'm not, the FA Cup money should be seen as a bonus, it is like a gambler banking on the 3:30 at Doncaster to pay for his gas bill. As for accepting it without question - perhaps I'm past caring that much about the defeats, you win some, you lose some.

But we must not question Shez according to some...oh no :wink:

Ronnie didn't get his second year, isn't this Shez's second year with "his team"? - Ronnie was denied the opportunity to show what he could do in his second year, should we repeat the same mistake with Shez?

Isn't this what Shez is being accused of? Not learning from his mistakes? Shouldn't we & TTA learn from our mistakes?

Look at QPR, what number manager are they on now? Name one club that has done well with chopping and changing manager?

Yes bloody Scunthorpe got promoted with a new manager but they just got tonked off us back in this league the other week.

We have been in this league long enough now and not got out of it by chopping and changing can we not try having a bit of consistency and give a man a decent crack of the whip? That isn't 3 years it is about 5 or so, maybe more?

How will paying off another manager, paying for a new one to come in, buying his own players, paying off the ones he doesn't want going to help us - this will cost us more cash than a 3rd round trip to Barnsley would have brought.

Damn those pesky oppposition players and managers! We would have won on Tuesday if it hadn't been for Cheltenham!

People are not going to flock back to BP because we get a tie against Liverpool in the 3rd round, they will turn up for the Liverpool game then disappear again.

Bit like those who turned up fer Everton/Hudds MIA ever since!

I'm sure the TTA have repeatedly said that budgets are set on League revenues only, and cup ties and player sales are a bonus to the coffers. In the last few seasons we've had the bonus, this season we won't, just as football has been for over a hundred years. Thats the way the mop flops sometimes.

Btw Lags the drama queens to whom I refer seemed to be very thin on the ground after Saturdays win and no doubt will be again when we get a result this Saturday, strange that.

Guest oa_exile
Btw Lags the drama queens to whom I refer........

FYI Stipey , Lags just recently hit 40 so he is feeling a little fragile and tetchy along with Footy68 , think it's called a mid life crisis :grin:

Now there seems to be a lot of invective aimed at Shez because we've exited the cup. And if one were to believe the drama queens that populate this site one would think that Shez was the worst manager we've ever had.

Currently just 8% are saying Shez out on the poll so methinks that the noise doesn't reflect opinion - and not for the first time.

Currently just 8% are saying Shez out on the poll so methinks that the noise doesn't reflect opinion - and not for the first time.

As mentioned previously, for some reason the poll won't accept 'Shez Out' votes from some people. Hardly a conclusive result when that happens.

As mentioned previously, for some reason the poll won't accept 'Shez Out' votes from some people. Hardly a conclusive result when that happens.

Polls like this are never conclusive but indicate the general balance. (And I can't see any mention of it not accepting votes. Edited maybe because it's fixed or wasn't the case/)

Guest oa_exile

The Poll wont let me vote just "Shez Out" either, wants to know when ? :blink: ............ well ere , right now ^_^

Edited by oa_exile

I agree they aren't, they are the only source of income, thats my point - this is the cloth, it has to be cut accordingly.

I'm not, the FA Cup money should be seen as a bonus, it is like a gambler banking on the 3:30 at Doncaster to pay for his gas bill. As for accepting it without question - perhaps I'm past caring that much about the defeats, you win some, you lose some.

BB80 reply: Maybe this is the type of thing Corporal Jones has been banging on about. I'm far from past caring so it's my perogative to be hacked off over certain things like recent mis-management...if you are past caring, then why do you then care when some criticism flies Shez's way? Me thinks you do care! We both want the same really...more winsomes, less losesomes!

Ronnie didn't get his second year, isn't this Shez's second year with "his team"? - Ronnie was denied the opportunity to show what he could do in his second year, should we repeat the same mistake with Shez?

Isn't this what Shez is being accused of? Not learning from his mistakes? Shouldn't we & TTA learn from our mistakes?

Look at QPR, what number manager are they on now? Name one club that has done well with chopping and changing manager?

Yes bloody Scunthorpe got promoted with a new manager but they just got tonked off us back in this league the other week.

We have been in this league long enough now and not got out of it by chopping and changing can we not try having a bit of consistency and give a man a decent crack of the whip? That isn't 3 years it is about 5 or so, maybe more?

How will paying off another manager, paying for a new one to come in, buying his own players, paying off the ones he doesn't want going to help us - this will cost us more cash than a 3rd round trip to Barnsley would have brought.

Sorry BT, but you're clearing mixing myself up with someone else...I've not once called for his head. I've said that the egg-timer is running out for him with some (Corney certainly.) Two wildly contrasting points. It's people on here who say you can't criticise, discuss or comment are the ones who get my back up. And lump them in with the minority who do want Shez out. Sad really. And the best comment that some use are "when we win on Saturday they'll all disappear"...funny that...when we won vs Northampton I was on here stating things I was happy with and also lambasting Hughes for being a prick and yet got the "we win and ya still wanna complain about something"....kinda impossible to comment really in that case and maybe OWTB should just be shut down.

Opinion is that Shez is annoying/frustrating/losing a portion of fans support. It doesn't mean they want him sacked though. It's about time SOME on here understand that when they read criticism!

Edited by boundaryblue80

And the best comment that some use are "when we win on Saturday they'll all disappear"...funny that...when we won vs Northampton I was on here stating things I was happy with and also lambasting Hughes for being a prick and yet got the "we win and ya still wanna complain about something"...

Yup - that's the wonder of the board - love it :grin:

Opinion is that Shez is annoying/frustrating/losing a portion of fans support. It doesn't mean they want him sacked though.

Agreed. Just pointing out that there is a disproportionate number of voices who are saying "out" and that many, including myself, who think that he's not always on top of the plot don't want to be lumped in with them.

BB80 reply: Maybe this is the type of thing Corporal Jones has been banging on about. I'm far from past caring so it's my perogative to be hacked off over certain things like recent mis-management...if you are past caring, then why do you then care when some criticism flies Shez's way? Me thinks you do care! We both want the same really...more winsomes, less losesomes!

Of course I care but the defeats don't get me as down as they used to, perhaps I should have said I can let go easier, they don't ruin the week like they used to. Same as the wins, they put a smile on my face then as with the defeats I move on. - For the record, already saving up for next years season ticket - even if we go down, I'm still going to trundle up, hand over my hard earned then enjoy watching the blue shirted heroes next season, season after that and the season after that.

Sorry BT, but you're clearing mixing myself up with someone else...I've not once called for his head. I've said that the egg-timer is running out for him with some (Corney certainly.) Two wildly contrasting points. It's people on here who say you can't criticise, discuss or comment are the ones who get my back up. And lump them in with the minority who do want Shez out. Sad really. And the best comment that some use are "when we win on Saturday they'll all disappear"...funny that...when we won vs Northampton I was on here stating things I was happy with and also lambasting Hughes for being a prick and yet got the "we win and ya still wanna complain about something"....kinda impossible to comment really in that case and maybe OWTB should just be shut down.

Opinion is that Shez is annoying/frustrating/losing a portion of fans support. It doesn't mean they want him sacked though. It's about time SOME on here understand that when they read criticism!

That wasn't particularly aimed at you, granted I used the Ronnie example and twisted it to Shez's two year plan but wasn't a dig.

I don't understand why a time limit has to be put on Shez at all? We have seen short term managerism doesn't work why do some want it to be proven again - if you hit your thumb with a hammer it hurts, you don't hit your other thumb to check? I agree that Simon C does seem to open his mouth when he needs to change foot but I think by now we are pretty used to that and it is pretty endearing that some bloke from London actually cares that much about the club to not only put his hand in his pocket on day and bring in Omerod & Byfield and on another day he is tearing his hair out at typical bloody Latics losing to Yeovil.

I think he enjoyed his interview with Simon Blitz when the Cheltenham draw was made and thought he could do a series of candid interviews to keep the fans of the club informed, I like his thinking, would be good if it continued but it might be an idea if he thought about the consequences of some of his words. - When Hughes got his 4th booking I thought it would be a good idea to get the 5th against Yeovil, get suspended for the cup then be back for the league, when he bounced the ball against Yeovil I said "here it comes" - it didn't take mystic meg to work out what was going on. Obviously Simon C sees it differently as he looks at the pounds shillings and pence, add to that by this time he would probably know the Gregan issue (I still don't know what is going on here so if anyone would be so kind as to pm me with it it would be nice) and I guess Simon C thought that he was running a circus not a football club and he went and shot his mouth off. - Not the first owner to do it, won't be the last, won't be the last time he does it either, wouldn't be Simon C if he didn't!

The ones on here who say there is a party line don't understand debating, we disagree on a few things about but I can live with that as I expect you do but some people don't like it when an alternative and equally valid viewpoint is put forward. What all of us want to see is a successful OAFC, what we differ on is how best to achieve it.

Of course I care but the defeats don't get me as down as they used to, perhaps I should have said I can let go easier, they don't ruin the week like they used to. Same as the wins, they put a smile on my face then as with the defeats I move on. - For the record, already saving up for next years season ticket - even if we go down, I'm still going to trundle up, hand over my hard earned then enjoy watching the blue shirted heroes next season, season after that and the season after that.

That wasn't particularly aimed at you, granted I used the Ronnie example and twisted it to Shez's two year plan but wasn't a dig.

I don't understand why a time limit has to be put on Shez at all? We have seen short term managerism doesn't work why do some want it to be proven again - if you hit your thumb with a hammer it hurts, you don't hit your other thumb to check? I agree that Simon C does seem to open his mouth when he needs to change foot but I think by now we are pretty used to that and it is pretty endearing that some bloke from London actually cares that much about the club to not only put his hand in his pocket on day and bring in Omerod & Byfield and on another day he is tearing his hair out at typical bloody Latics losing to Yeovil.

I think he enjoyed his interview with Simon Blitz when the Cheltenham draw was made and thought he could do a series of candid interviews to keep the fans of the club informed, I like his thinking, would be good if it continued but it might be an idea if he thought about the consequences of some of his words. - When Hughes got his 4th booking I thought it would be a good idea to get the 5th against Yeovil, get suspended for the cup then be back for the league, when he bounced the ball against Yeovil I said "here it comes" - it didn't take mystic meg to work out what was going on. Obviously Simon C sees it differently as he looks at the pounds shillings and pence, add to that by this time he would probably know the Gregan issue (I still don't know what is going on here so if anyone would be so kind as to pm me with it it would be nice) and I guess Simon C thought that he was running a circus not a football club and he went and shot his mouth off. - Not the first owner to do it, won't be the last, won't be the last time he does it either, wouldn't be Simon C if he didn't!

The ones on here who say there is a party line don't understand debating, we disagree on a few things about but I can live with that as I expect you do but some people don't like it when an alternative and equally valid viewpoint is put forward. What all of us want to see is a successful OAFC, what we differ on is how best to achieve it.

couldnt agree more well put mate. all these shez out oldham fans on here want to think what there saying first an not just talk rubbish

Btw Lags the drama queens to whom I refer seemed to be very thin on the ground after Saturdays win and no doubt will be again when we get a result this Saturday, strange that.

We'll be back after we lose the game after that though. That's because this 'win one, lose a couple,' tactic the team has adopted isn't the stuff promotion is made of.