NHL

I watched a bit of the game against the Rangers the other night and we were awful. We got 2 weeks to snap the slump or we are screwed!

Indeed.

I've been watching Latics too long though. I'm worried we'll get relegated some how! :wink:

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phoenix to be kicked out of the top league of British hockey!!??

Reports have emerged that 6 teams from the Elite League have held secret meetings, excluding teams from Manchester, Edinburgh and Newcastle to establish a 6 team league and abandon those teams who are in a less financially secure position.

Some reports can be found here:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/sport...ce_league_snub/

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Ic...o-be.5128195.jp

You can moan about it in a Facebook group here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=90010102192

And you can check the official Phoenix site from Thursday morning for their official statement:

http://www.manchesterphoenix.co.uk

Scum, the lot of them.

When the ISL (Increasingly Smaller League) was in progress, with every team that dropped out, the league became even duller. Six teams in a league? The fans would surely leave in their droves. Complete waste of time.

Also, what's in it for Hull? They'd get battered out of sight every week, pretty much guaranteed sixth place finish. They'd be better off pulling out too. That would screw the other five over big time!

Edited by jsslatic

When the ISL (Increasingly Smaller League) was in progress, with every team that dropped out, the league became even duller. Six teams in a league? The fans would surely leave in their droves. Complete waste of time.

Also, what's in it for Hull? They'd get battered out of sight every week, pretty much guaranteed sixth place finish. They'd be better off pulling out too. That would screw the other five over big time!

From the digging I've been doing since I posted from what I can see certain teams (Manchester, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Bracknell) asked for next season to have a reduced Salary cap (which many think Shef and Notts have exceeded this year anyway) because of the increasingly difficult economic climate. It seems that the 6 teams who held this secret meeting have decided they can financially sustain themeselves at the current level and so don't want to play with the poor people any more.

As you point out, a six team league will be dreadful - but thankfully we'll not have to watch that, as it's probable that the team would drop back to the ENL (where Bracknell have already had an aplication to play accepted). This wouldn't be the end of the world for Phoenix, who already have a competitive ENL team and so they could build that up slightly. It would of course mean a drastic drop in revenue from sponsorship though.

I think we wait until tomorrow. Although I wish I was going to Notts. for the finals now, as it could really kick off. If I was an owner of the 6 breakaway teams I'd want a Pope-mobile for the weekend!!

This is incredible.

I reckon Marty could get pulled here.

WE WANT TEN!

With the wat we are playing at the moment, I decided to stop watching after the second. I didnt fancy having a late one and only 3 hours kip after watching us get mauled. Hopefully we will sort this slump soon!

Wow, great game. I'm convinced now the Canes will take 4th place, and their building is going to be one tough place to go in a playoff game the way they're playing there.

For that reason I really don't want to finish 5th. Let the Flyers take it, it will be nice to see them knocked out fairly early.

Devs or Caps please...preferably the latter.

Wow, great game. I'm convinced now the Canes will take 4th place, and their building is going to be one tough place to go in a playoff game the way they're playing there.

For that reason I really don't want to finish 5th. Let the Flyers take it, it will be nice to see them knocked out fairly early.

Devs or Caps please...preferably the latter.

You want the CAPS!? Are you mental? :)

2 in a row for us now. If we can somehow get hot again going into it then we have half a chance. But personally I think we're done.

You want the CAPS!? Are you mental? :)

2 in a row for us now. If we can somehow get hot again going into it then we have half a chance. But personally I think we're done.

In a straight toss up between the Caps and Devs, I'd rather the Caps. Watched the Devs/Lightning end of third and OT...when Parise got that winner you could feel the relief. If NJ can get some form going then they'll be more dangerous than Washington.

Ideal world...the Canes lose form and miss out on 4th. I'd even probably take it if we finish 4th and them 5th...play them twice at the Igloo and take the wind out the sails before going back there. But they're outstanding on home ice at the moment and it's always a mountain to climb if you find yourself 2 games down early doors.

Anyway, win in Florida tonight and we cement our place. Who'd have thought that 3 months ago? Not me...

That's how to score on the shootout:

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_X5FdpsWpg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_X5FdpsWpg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_X5FdpsWpg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

:lol:

Fantastic! Lobbing the keeper in Hockey... awesome!

Just a pity it was a dirty swede who did it... :wink:

In a straight toss up between the Caps and Devs, I'd rather the Caps. Watched the Devs/Lightning end of third and OT...when Parise got that winner you could feel the relief. If NJ can get some form going then they'll be more dangerous than Washington.

Ideal world...the Canes lose form and miss out on 4th. I'd even probably take it if we finish 4th and them 5th...play them twice at the Igloo and take the wind out the sails before going back there. But they're outstanding on home ice at the moment and it's always a mountain to climb if you find yourself 2 games down early doors.

Anyway, win in Florida tonight and we cement our place. Who'd have thought that 3 months ago? Not me...

ooh, yeah, 4th or 5th spot... Squeeky bum time.. innit... :wink:

I'm actually hoping for 8th Spot... I actually think we will take the Sharks, especially after battering them at thier place the other night, they would be bricking it starting at thier place.... however think the chances of beating the redwings or the flames in play-off hockey are minimal...

I'm actually hoping for 8th Spot... I actually think we will take the Sharks, especially after battering them at thier place the other night, they would be bricking it starting at thier place.... however think the chances of beating the redwings or the flames in play-off hockey are minimal...

Thanks for that...Ackey may have felt my preference of the Caps over the Devs was odd but that takes the biscuit! SJ over Calgary?! The last time Calgary put back to back wins together was the start of March...that's exactly the kind of team you want to play in a best of 7!

Thanks for that...Ackey may have felt my preference of the Caps over the Devs was odd but that takes the biscuit! SJ over Calgary?! The last time Calgary put back to back wins together was the start of March...that's exactly the kind of team you want to play in a best of 7!

We destroyed SJ the other night, alright they then came back and won at the pond, but some of the comments coming out of them when we mullered them were very interesting...

Alright, there is an arguement to play the flames... however i'd take anyone other than the wings... but lets get into the play-offs first!

We destroyed SJ the other night, alright they then came back and won at the pond, but some of the comments coming out of them when we mullered them were very interesting...

Alright, there is an arguement to play the flames... however i'd take anyone other than the wings... but lets get into the play-offs first!

Would be good if all three of our sides made it through.

Just checked the odds for the Cup:

Detroit - 7/2

Sharks - 333/100

Boston - 11/2

Devs - 8/1

Pens - 9/1

Caps - 9/1

Calgary - 12/1

Vancouver - 14/1

Chicago - 14/1

Canes - 20/1

Philly - 20/1

Habs - 28/1

Ducks - 40/1

Jackets - 40/1

Florida - 50/1

Rangers - 50/1

Best price in there is Carolina for my money, but in truth, can't see the Cup going anywhere outside the top 6 on that list.

:lol:

You said it!!

Ladies and gentlemen...

THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS ARE GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!

(and would like NJ actually, deary me...)

Come on BigFin...3 out of 3 please...

Edited by jsslatic

Come on BigFin...3 out of 3 please...

Dont worry, just thought we would make it extra interesting by not actually playing hockey until the weekend...

Dallas and Phoenix to go... both of whom have sod all to play for... i'll take that...

Looking at the fixtures we have by far the easiest... with the Blue Jackets playing all other 3 teams in contention!

Preds - Wild & BJ's

Blues - BJ's & Avs

Wild - Preds & BJ's

Gotta fancy the Ducks with those fixtures.... but Columbus are going to have one hell of a say in it! I'm going for the West to stay prettuy much exactly as it is...

Gotta fancy the Ducks with those fixtures.... but Columbus are going to have one hell of a say in it! I'm going for the West to stay prettuy much exactly as it is...

Columbus turned over the Hawks last night! Don't count your ducklings (HIYOOOOH!) just yet! :)

Don't count your ducklings indeed. Ballsy stuff from the Preds tonight.

Yup, but they gotta go to the Wild tonight, who also have to win to keep the hopes alive... meanwhile the Stars are at the Honda center tonight for the Ducks to seal it...

Got two shots to count my ducklings later! (well, if we win its all gravy anyhow...)