Davies Watch

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a Stockport fan ... bags of pace, no left foot, awful finishing.

Yes he took a pen last night, but he had three one-on-ones too. "You'd think by the third he'd realise not to hit it straight at the keeper."

No doubt the Stockport fans who are creaming themselves over him are the usual hard of thinking types who are easily impressed by anyone who can run quickly.

text last night from a County fan: 2-0 now Davies bagged a pen, he's such a good player, you would be really stupid if you let him go, he could be the difference between us finnishing above or below you

There are 9 million bicycles in Beijing - that's a FACT!!! :blush:

9 million and 1, Dong Ming-Hawe has just bought one

text last night from a County fan: 2-0 now Davies bagged a pen, he's such a good player, you would be really stupid if you let him go, he could be the difference between us finnishing above or below you

Just shows how opinions can differ.

As to him being the difference between County finishing above or below us ... well let's just say that for me that puts his assessment of Davies into context. :wink:

Edited by garcon

Just shows how opinions can differ.

As to him being the difference between County finishing above or below us ... well let's just say that for me that puts his assessment of Davies into context. :wink:

it's not a minority of County fans that rate him, it's the vast majority

No doubt the Stockport fans who are creaming themselves over him are the usual hard of thinking types who are easily impressed by anyone who can run quickly.

Hard of thinking types ? Nah, those will be the 'fans' who boo their team whilst they are in sight of an automatic promotion place.

Still, have a look at CD's movement prior to his goal at Crewe on Saturday. Quality.

Rough edges ? Yep, plenty of them, still, so did Liam Dickinson prior to him coming to us. We might just be doing you a favour, or maybe there's already a deal done. Who knows ?

Hard of thinking types ? Nah, those will be the 'fans' who boo their team whilst they are in sight of an automatic promotion place.

That's a fair point. We all have them, but any Stockport fan who is unhappy with your progress this season is a fool. Punching way above your weight (I'm sure you'll agree?), and who's to say you won't still be there come May?

Sometimes a fresh start is all the motivation one needs.

Never a truer word. Davies can be a lethal forward at this level (and possibly a step higher). He scored 1 in 3 for us last season, most of those before Christmas. But he's also incredibly frustrating - and that frustration increases tenfold when his head's not in the right place and he's lacking confidence and motivation. I don't know what's happened with him at Oldham, except that maybe this is another sign that Sheridan needs to learn a bit more about handling difficult players. However if the bridges are burnt and he doesn't come back I won't begrudge him success anywhere else.

As for him being "the difference..." - not for us, not this season. Hughes and Taylor are our key this season.

That's a fair point. We all have them, but any Stockport fan who is unhappy with your progress this season is a fool. Punching way above your weight (I'm sure you'll agree?), and who's to say you won't still be there come May?

I doubt you'd find a single County fan who is unhappy at our progress. That might change if we flog a couple of our best assets in January, but we've tended to do well in replacing them when we've done the same thing in the last couple of years.

Punching above our weight ? Before being raped by Cheshire Sport I'd have said L1 was our natural level. Whilst we're rebuilding the whole structure of the club at the moment, I think we can justifiably say we're at our natural level again.

Certainly on the basis of attendances League One is about right. It is for us too - we'll be a very small club in the Championship if we go up.

I live and work closer to Stockport than Oldham, so I hope you stay up and are in the fight near the top - the rivalry is fun. :wink:

(Obviously you'll have to wait for us to come back down after the end of this season.... :D )

Edited by garcon

Get him back, the lad is quality, last season showed that, Alessendra, Hughes, O'Grady, Davies, four great strikers for this league, different type of player all on them in my opinion in their unique way, start 2 have 2 as opitions on the bench, and we'll have a decent strikeforce in the squad again.

Sounds good to me!! cant see it happening though i fell Davies has gone forever...our loss someone elses gain no doubt.

Sounds good to me!! cant see it happening though i fell Davies has gone forever...our loss someone elses gain no doubt.

A nice quote from mr davies"I've come to Stockport played five games on the bounce and I'm starting to feel like the player I was last season.

"I know I can score goals and I know I'll give most defenders trouble in this league."

A nice quote from mr davies"I've come to Stockport played five games on the bounce and I'm starting to feel like the player I was last season.

"I know I can score goals and I know I'll give most defenders trouble in this league."

The five games on the bounce is the interesting bit for me....We certainly didn't give him that after his "misdemeanor at Rocckydally!"

• 2 weeks later...

Latest view from a County fan:

"Don't get me wrong I have repeatedly said Craig Davies would be a decent signing for us.

But he showed us three things yesterday.

1 He isn't a "Target Man", he is "The One-Off The Target Man", he looks far more of a threat when he has McNeill doing the donkey work.

2 That would explain why we haven't seen him and Thompson together.

3 That means, with a limited budget, we must look elsewhere.

And one we already knew..

He is absolutely :censored:scared of using his Left Foot, just how bad can it be?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A44562648

Edited by opinions4u

CD beginning to divide opinion down at EP.

"Davies is no good.. 2 left feet? NO LEFT FOOT more like."

"I can't believe people are having a go at Davies and McNeil. Look at the turnaround in the number of goals we have scored as a team since they came in. There's no question that they hold the ball up better, they take pressure off the defence, and they pose a threat at all times"

"Davies for me is hot and cold, when he's on form he's unstopable, when he's off form he looks a bit uninterested to me. Bags of pace, decent strike, but has absolutely no left foot, which to me is the biggest negative point i've seen - the amount of chances he's had when he's used his pace o get away, but then has to slow down play, check inside and that has often let defenders get back. For the sort of money being talked about, i wouldn't sign him permanently"

"Davies is, and I am sure you don't need telling this, a bit of an odd lot.

His pace is incredible, and that does help stretch defences and allows our talented attacking midfielders a little more room in which to operate.

His first touch is ok, and is a reasonable finisher.

But that's it, he can't really hold the ball up, his workrate varies from a never-stop-mad-man to zero, and he is the most one-foted Player I have ever seen.

If he came to us on a permanent deal I wouldn't be unhappy he can score goals and is different to what we have.

But if it involved anything other than a nominal fee, you can have him back."

Edited by opinions4u

• 1 year later...
Get him back, the lad is quality, last season showed that, Alessendra, Hughes, O'Grady, Davies, four great strikers for this league, different type of player all on them in my opinion in their unique way, start 2 have 2 as opitions on the bench, and we'll have a decent strikeforce in the squad again.

Four quality strikers, where we've let three go, and turned one into a winger. The winger move isn't turning out to be disasterous, but still look at the problems last season, look at them this season, and realise short on 2 years ago, we had 3 quality strikers on the books, and we got rid of all three out of choice. Joke.